U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,198,633 times

Advertisements

I can't decide if it's funny or disheartening...

Quote:
I really appreciate your interest in the volunteer Staff Reader position. You were totally qualified and met everything we were looking for. However, in the two days the job was posted, we received four dozen applications. Forty-eight letters of interest for a totally unpaid position! How cool is that?

Unfortunately, it means I have to turn down some people who would obviously be great assets to our team.

Like you.

I hope you'll stay interested in ***********, and if I have the opportunity to open up more Staff Reader slots, I will contact you before I post the role publicly.
How cool is that? Is that a rhetorical question? It's NOT COOL at all...on a scale of one to ten, it's zero cool. In terms of Kelvins of cool, it's 0° cool. That's as not cool as it gets. It's absolutely cold. No molecules are moving.

"Like you." lol

Woe is me. *weep* *weep*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM

18,668 posts, read 18,152,181 times
"Forty-eight letters of interest for a totally unpaid position! How cool is that?"

should have been left out.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM

16,036 posts, read 24,093,044 times
I'd go after that person's job.

They are less than professional, but I think they meant well.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,950,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I can't decide if it's funny or disheartening...

How cool is that? Is that a rhetorical question? It's NOT COOL at all...on a scale of one to ten, it's zero cool. In terms of Kelvins of cool, it's 0° cool. That's as not cool as it gets. It's absolutely cold. No molecules are moving.

"Like you." lol

Woe is me. *weep* *weep*
Maybe there should be a posting for the "paid" position of the person who wrote this letter. I think it's quite unprofessional. I guess it depends on the type of company that it is. Is it one of those "we're a totally hip and cool place to work for 20-somethings fresh out of college (that we can milk for all they're worth)" places? Maybe then I can understand the way this letter is written.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,648,639 times
While the letter is a complete joke, at least they contacted you (in some form) about being declined. When I was unemployed at any point in my life, I've never received any letter telling me I've been declined. I think your whole decline letter should of been rewritten with a "Oh, a real person is going to read this" type view.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM

11,588 posts, read 14,623,258 times
You were "totally" qualified and everything?

Sounds like high school kids on a smoke break in the restroom. Had a mocking tone which is especially wrong given a time where many are still out of work. Why? Said it right there in the letter with the 48 number: Companies are in their market now. They have more leeway to do whatever. This does not apply to all companies of course.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 PM

62 posts, read 93,770 times
Actually, it's VERY cool that people are still anxious to volunteer their time.

And it's not a rejection letter, it's a "thanks for offering to help, but we're already swamped with helpers" letter.

Considering this is not paid employment, I see nothing wrong here.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,072,564 times
Sounds like a high school kid wrote it. Did you really get this letter from a legit company/organization or are you pulling our legs?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,187 posts, read 62,221,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Sounds like a high school kid wrote it. Did you really get this letter from a legit company/organization or are you pulling our legs?
Yes, it sounds like a kid volunteer at a non-profit that is recruiting other kids for volunteer work. I wouldn't be concerned about it anyway since it's unpaid.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,574,671 times
"Dude, we like, totally wish we could have hired you for free n' stuff."

Who did you apply to, High Times magazine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search