Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM

380 posts, read 1,155,910 times

Advertisements

I was just told from a company I had been interviewing with that they had decided not to hire for the position. Initially they were to hire 2 people, then, 3 people. Now they have hired one person and won't be hiring anymore people for the time being. It's weird because during the interview the interviewer made it seem like they were in desperate need of people and with the amount of work they had they definitely needed several people. According to the interviewer, she needed to get people in there quickly before the people she had walked out due to the overload of work. She said the last part in a joking way, but, I knew she was serious.

Back in the summer, I had the same thing happen. The company seemed interested in me and talked of how they needed someone to come in and hit the ground running because they had some folks out on long term leave and other folks moving to different positions. The main decision maker said he felt I would be a good fit. I had had good interviews with the other 2 people who interviewed me. Then, I was told that the position was freezed and the company decided not to hire anyone for the job.

Now, I'm wondering if the hiring freeze excuse is code for something else. Could it possibly be something else going on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM

11,779 posts, read 5,789,903 times
I wouldn't doubt that there are companies not hiring due to a freeze. Despite how overworked alot of people are, employers know it's not easy to get another job. They may have put the job on hold until they see what's going to happen in the new year.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Yes, I saw a few jobs I had applied for, get pulled. The companies do not care if the employees are swamped and can't do their jobs right... the beancounters win every time and the poor employees on the front lines have to suck it up. Yes, they probably are desperate for people, but instead the employees get to work 11 hour shifts. When I was laid off one of my jobs, I was doing the jobs of 3 people, and there was a stack of papers 2 feet tall on my desk.... who did it after I left? who cares? they ended up closing the entire factory.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
... the beancounters win every time
of course the beancounters win everytime!

They can't hire people if they cannot afford to do so. If a company cannot turn a profit then everyone will have to go. This is business, not a communal hippie camp.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
It's not code. Generally the managers are able to get a req opened and start interviewing, but there are sudden market or revenue changes and the company overall has to hold expenses. The manager often still wants to hire, but can't. This is one of the first things a large company does when they are worried about upcoming revenue. That and freeze travel and office supply orders.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I was just told from a company I had been interviewing with that they had decided not to hire for the position. Initially they were to hire 2 people, then, 3 people. Now they have hired one person and won't be hiring anymore people for the time being. It's weird because during the interview the interviewer made it seem like they were in desperate need of people and with the amount of work they had they definitely needed several people. According to the interviewer, she needed to get people in there quickly before the people she had walked out due to the overload of work. She said the last part in a joking way, but, I knew she was serious.

Back in the summer, I had the same thing happen. The company seemed interested in me and talked of how they needed someone to come in and hit the ground running because they had some folks out on long term leave and other folks moving to different positions. The main decision maker said he felt I would be a good fit. I had had good interviews with the other 2 people who interviewed me. Then, I was told that the position was freezed and the company decided not to hire anyone for the job.

Now, I'm wondering if the hiring freeze excuse is code for something else. Could it possibly be something else going on here?

It could mean they went with someone else because I remember being told the same thing and 2 days letter I received a rejection letter which I mailed back with a yellow sticky asking....."I thought it was a hiring freeze?"

So that was just my experience which can be different in your situation

Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Many companies have a hiring freeze until Washington fixes the fiscal cliff.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Things happen. My work was hiring, and then an employee got sick and actually passed away. Now we are not hiring as it would be just too weird to fill a position right now. Even though we were hiring before, the new person at this point is just going to feel like a "replacement" for the woman who died. So now we are not hiring.

I guess I am just saying that it is not always an evil plot by the people who hire to ruin the lives of people looking for jobs. Willing to bet everyone at my work would rather the employee was still alive and we were still hiring. I would much rather interview than clean out a coworker's desk because they passed away....

Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Why is my comment off topic?

Government policies, particularly tax policy, affect employment significantly. Higher tax on business and the rich translates directly to lower employment such as hiring freeze, layoff, reduction in hours - kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I remember when Mr. Obama denied Keystone project last year, my company literally laid off hundreds of people within a month or so.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
i can accept and deal with rejection but getting lead on is a different story, i'd be very pissed if this happend to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search