Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM

102 posts, read 310,936 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer yesterday (have not yet accepted), but also have an interview scheduled today at another business.

Is it okay to tell the Interviewer about my other offer? Of course I will gauge the interview and if it looks like there's NO WAY I'm getting the job, I won't even bother. But if things seems somewhat promising, I'd at least like to put this on his radar when discussing timelines.

I know that the company that offered me the position wants to move relatively quickly so I don't have much time to "stall". The offer was very strong, but not my top place to work. The place/position where I'm interviewing fits more into my career trajectory.

PS - Not interested in using the job offer as leverage in the interview, I honestly just don't have much tiime and want the hiring manager to be cognizant of that *IF* I am a front-runner.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
Sometimes, they will ask you. If they like you, you would want to speed up the process.
I would just tell them that you are still in an interview process with another company.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Is it relevant to how they determinate your candidacy? I don't think so. So keep it to yourself and don't bring it up.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Yes, tell them. Many application processes require you to disclose if you are receiving additional job offers. You do not disclose the offer, just that you are in the offer process. In that situation, not disclosing can get you thrown out of the interview/offer process with both companies

Considering you would rather have a position with the company you are interviewing with, it might be even more important to let them know you have an offer pending, but want to give them a full opportunity to interview you first.
(And, at the same time, you should inform them that if you do accept the other offer you will let them know right away so that they can streamline their process.)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
If your offer is time sensitive, I would bring it up. It has worked for me in the past, and here's what I have seen:

1. If they like you, they can help expedite the process
2. If they like you and want to give you an offer, you have better leverage since they may want to give you a better offer
3. Showing that you have other offers tells prospective employers that you are desirable and that can help influence their decisions.
4. If they don't like you and you see no movement, you'll have your answer.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Put me in the camp that says to tell them. If they want you, they may be able to expedite the process. If they can't speed up the process, they can move on to somebody else and not continue to waste your (and their) time. It is not arm bending at all. It is letting them know that they have a very limited window of opportunity if they want you to fill the position.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
I received a job offer yesterday (have not yet accepted), but also have an interview scheduled today at another business.

Is it okay to tell the Interviewer about my other offer? Of course I will gauge the interview and if it looks like there's NO WAY I'm getting the job, I won't even bother. But if things seems somewhat promising, I'd at least like to put this on his radar when discussing timelines.

I know that the company that offered me the position wants to move relatively quickly so I don't have much time to "stall". The offer was very strong, but not my top place to work. The place/position where I'm interviewing fits more into my career trajectory.

PS - Not interested in using the job offer as leverage in the interview, I honestly just don't have much tiime and want the hiring manager to be cognizant of that *IF* I am a front-runner.
Why would you do that? Companies wouldn't tell you if they already selected someone and would still interview you because it was scheduled. No need to say anything at all

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If your offer is time sensitive, I would bring it up. It has worked for me in the past, and here's what I have seen:

1. If they like you, they can help expedite the process
2. If they like you and want to give you an offer, you have better leverage since they may want to give you a better offer
3. Showing that you have other offers tells prospective employers that you are desirable and that can help influence their decisions.
4. If they don't like you and you see no movement, you'll have your answer.
Agreed. I have used it recently and it's getting me more interest from other companies because now I am viewed as desirable, whereas before, in some cases I recruiters saw unemployed loser.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Agreed. I have used it recently and it's getting me more interest from other companies because now I am viewed as desirable, whereas before, in some cases I recruiters saw unemployed loser.
Totally agree. I have done this several times and it truly makes you look more desirable. Good luck!!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Totally agree. I have done this several times and it truly makes you look more desirable. Good luck!!
Thank you and same to you. Happy Holiday all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search