Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times

Advertisements

I had a recruiter call me today. Job sounded interesting enough, and the pay range would be an upgrade.

One of the questions he asked was "Why are you applying to this job"

Uhh.... you found my LinkedIn and called me?

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Recruiters and HR sometimes do things backwards. Best answer should be as if you were asked in a face to face interview. Mention how your skills are relevant to what was described to if applicable and describe further your past experience and accomplishments. You clearly have some of this given you were contacted.

Remember its a competition this job market. Sell yourself and your skills and experience as the main point.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Recruiters and HR sometimes do things backwards. Best answer should be as if you were asked in a face to face interview. Mention how your skills are relevant to what was described to if applicable and describe further your past experience and accomplishments. You clearly have some of this given you were contacted.

Remember its a competition this job market. Sell yourself and your skills and experience as the main point.
Oh, I know, and I did, but I thought it was a strange question.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I had a recruiter call me today. Job sounded interesting enough, and the pay range would be an upgrade.

Seriously?
They are asking really, why should we hire you, so there's your chance to sell yourself, but yeah I get your point they sought you out, no the other way around.

Unfortunately, a lot of recruiters I have interacted with in the last 6 months, especially the independent one, mercs I call them, are unprofessional. Sometimes when I call them it sounds like they are in some telemarketing boiler room, which is probably more true than not.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
"Because I need the money"

That's really the only HONEST answer for 99% of us, but nobody says it. Instead we have to make up something about professional growth, passion for the field, etc. In other words, the only way to answer that question and have any hopes of landing the job is to lie.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
an honest question for many the real reason is so i can get another 2 weeks of UIB.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post

Seriously?
The recruiter worded it badly, but what they really were going for was "why would I submit you" or "why do you think you would be good"

People are not going to appreciate this, but the recruiter has a job to do and was probably talking to you while trying to check email, etc...they are busy and not able to focus on just one thing at a time.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

That's really the only HONEST answer for 99% of us, but nobody says it. Instead we have to make up something about professional growth, passion for the field, etc. In other words, the only way to answer that question and have any hopes of landing the job is to lie.
That's right, no one wants to hire someone just because they need the money and there are many applicants that are simply fulfilling their UI requirements. You don't really have to lie, but if you want the job you need to convince yourself that you want THAT job. Otherwise a good hiring manager will be able to tell.
When there are so many qualified applicants we really do look for someone that wants to be there.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

While that may be true for unemployed people, there are many people who apply for jobs who are already employed. It is (usually) not about the money for them. It is actually about professional growth, passion for the field, etc, etc. It certainly isn't a lie for them.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Really? You need to tell this to the members of congress and the CEOs of corporate America. After all, they're the ones begging for tens of thousands of more immigrants to be let in to the country because, gosh darn it, there just aren't enough people to fill all those jobs they have. They aren't lying, are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search