Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Are willing to have some fun and actually get to the bottom of the problem? Really? Just ask them flat out was it my hair, the way I talked, ect. They probably won't answer other than pat you weren't the best candidate for legal reasons, but I had C level executive say you would be my last choice because you have the least experience and the two others were a proven entity. Sucks but at east I got a face to face response from a hiring manager.
if they say you had the least experience how do you know they were telling the truth? it could be some BS reason that they're smart enough not to admit. I mean maybe not with you but you never know and in my case if I had asked them why and they told me it was due to lack of experience I would think they were lying because I've had plenty of animals in my life so how could I not have enough experience for a pet store/vet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't know a definite answer, but I know someone that was out of work for a month and the interviewer wanted to know why she had been out of work for such a long time.
Why wouldn't that be a fair question for an employer to ask? Of course a month of not working looks bad because either someone doesn't find it very necessary to have a job or was terminated from one. The unemployment rate is now under 8% which means most people who want to work are working.

It can be different if the unemployment rate is over 10% -- but it's gone way down now. They're boasting of over 150,000 jobs created a month now.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why wouldn't that be a fair question for an employer to ask? Of course a month of not working looks bad because either someone doesn't find it very necessary to have a job or was terminated from one. The unemployment rate is now under 8% which means most people who want to work are working.

It can be different if the unemployment rate is over 10% -- but it's gone way down now. They're boasting of over 150,000 jobs created a month now.
150,000 jobs is nothing. There are several million people looking for jobs. When you have 400 positions at Delta open and over 20,000 apply, it's still bad out there. At a job fair I went to last month an employer told me that they were still getting several hundred apps per job opening. A normal unemployment rate is about 5%.
Besides, if you have only been out a month, you are still considered "fresh" by employers and will be considered over long term unemployed.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
150,000 jobs is nothing. There are several million people looking for jobs. When you have 400 positions at Delta open and over 20,000 apply, it's still bad out there. At a job fair I went to last month an employer told me that they were still getting several hundred apps per job opening. A normal unemployment rate is about 5%.
Besides, if you have only been out a month, you are still considered "fresh" by employers and will be considered over long term unemployed.
5% is not normal. In the last 30 years, it has only been the avg annual unemployment rate at 2 time periods. It happened at the height of the housing bubble in 2005-07 and the dot.com bubble in 1997-2001. They can keep pushing it with more easing, but eventually it all falls apart.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-05-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:

It's not a fair question because it has nothing to do with the job you are being interviewed for. The questions being asked should have something to do with how qualified for the job not something crazy like "what have you been doing?"

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
If a 65 year old communications/public relations executive has been unemployed 6 months, will that discourage employers from hiring him? The person in question lives in an area with about 5.3% unemployment...

He has a Masters Degree and a great resume before the layoff, but he didn't start searching for a new job until now. I think he was just depressed, although he won't admit it. Around here it's not common for someone his age and experience level to be out of work that long.

Any advice?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
You can be denied a job today just for having a hair stand out on your head.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
If a 65 year old communications/public relations executive has been unemployed 6 months, will that discourage employers from hiring him? The person in question lives in an area with about 5.3% unemployment...

He has a Masters Degree and a great resume before the layoff, but he didn't start searching for a new job until now. I think he was just depressed, although he won't admit it. Around here it's not common for someone his age and experience level to be out of work that long.

Any advice?

I think he should explore part-time opportunities so maybe he can atleast be active in the workforce again.

Last edited by FBJ; 03-08-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:

Give me a break. I didn't say it wasn't fair. The point is a month out of work is NOT a long time. You act as if there are plenty of jobs out there to be had for all which is NOT the case. Plus if being out of work for one measley little month was a problem, then why be called in to be ridiculed about it? If it was a problem then that interviewer should have not called that applicant in.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search