Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,333,565 times

Advertisements

I filled out an application at a companies website about a year ago and received a phone interview. I wasn't expecting the questions they asked me and messed up. Now, the same position is posted again and I'm considering re-applying, hoping they won't remember me. Since they haven't seen me in person, maybe they won't notice? Maybe there is even a different HR person? Do you think I will still be in the computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,382,099 times
Go ahead an reapply. If it's been a year, they won't remember, but don't bring it up.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,822,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I filled out an application at a companies website about a year ago and received a phone interview. I wasn't expecting the questions they asked me and messed up. Now, the same position is posted again and I'm considering re-applying, hoping they won't remember me. Since they haven't seen me in person, maybe they won't notice? Maybe there is even a different HR person? Do you think I will still be in the computer?

I just reapplied to the same position I applied to in May and saw the position posted again in October and was called for a interview. So the fact that it's been a year for you shouldn't be a problem for you.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM

30,161 posts, read 23,548,828 times
Quote:
Even if they do remember you, it doesn't mean you can't get another shot.

I applied for the same job three times and finally got an offer. Of course, by that time, they were too late. I got a better offer by the time they got around to giving me a chance.

Their loss.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,992,955 times
Most companies get rid of applications after a year, so I'm sure they won't. And if they did it's not a crime to apply for the same position, IMO it shows you really want the job.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Most companies get rid of applications after a year, so I'm sure they won't. And if they did it's not a crime to apply for the same position, IMO it shows you really want the job.

Usually it's not a good sign to see a position reposted after 6 months or a year.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,862,137 times
I did this. Oddly both times I got second (and one time a third)interview. As long as I didn't do anything embarassing I would re apply.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,019,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Usually it's not a good sign to see a position reposted after 6 months or a year.

Wouldn't it depend on the type of position and size of the company?
Customer service and sales positions tend to be transient in nature in addition to the fact that, in large companies, there are hundreds of them so chances are there's always an opening.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wouldn't it depend on the type of position and size of the company?
Customer service and sales positions tend to be transient in nature in addition to the fact that, in large companies, there are hundreds of them so chances are there's always an opening.

Of course a customer service job is going to always be open along with sales.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,539,540 times
Quote:
I re-applied three times for the same position (in the first two times I was not even shortlisted), and third time was a charm. Been here 10 years now.

Just go ahead and re-apply. I don't think anybody will remember your previous applications if that's what you're worried about, and there's actually no harm if they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search