Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM

38 posts, read 116,448 times

Advertisements

I just signed an offer for a new job that has to deal with PCI compliance.

The offer can be rescinded in the situation I fail the background or credit check.

I never lied about my education or job history and have no criminal record, what concerns me is that I have a few negative things on my credit report that rates from poor-fair when I check it, mosly due to my lack of funds during college.

I have a bunch of old closed "potentially negative" things on my report from 7+ years ago, which i am not to worried about since that stuff was settled.

My current credit card is in good standing and even had a credit increase, I also have no judgement or leans or garnishments on my report.

I have 2 defaulted things in collections I never seen before and while I could easily pay them off (only like 2K ) I don't want to pay something off that I have no clue what it is. I also have 20K in student debt that im working on getting up to date. My total debt is less then 1/6th of my salary so the "threat" of me stealing or selling secrets... or whatever it is they are worried about is null.

Do I need to be worried? I already told them about the student loans, and they said that shouldn't be an issue... so I am hoping 2 minor collections on my statement wont sink me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,296 times
Look, there's nothing you can do about it now.

You'll either get the job or you won't. If you don't, then you'll get something better and in the meantime, you can clear up those negative credit issues if you can. If you can't, then again, don't worry about it.

If the people who hired you really liked you and have pull in the company, then you got the job.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Look, there's nothing you can do about it now.

You'll either get the job or you won't. If you don't, then you'll get something better and in the meantime, you can clear up those negative credit issues if you can. If you can't, then again, don't worry about it.

If the people who hired you really liked you and have pull in the company, then you got the job.
It was more questioning what exactly HR is looking for when they do a credit check, and in my case does it cause red flags, if I know my credit report will keep me from do working in e-commerce vertical I will know to not look for jobs in that sector.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,057,058 times
HR is more concerned about recent financial trouble. It would make you a higher risk of theft.

$20k in student loan debt is not a red flag. The HR lady might have over $20k in her own student loans.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM

13,043 posts, read 20,703,285 times
Rule #1 with PCI is honesty. Tell them the issues and if it's not a disqualifying factor, the job may be yours. Do not disclose and they find it, at best they may ask you about it and you can clear the air while keeping the job or they may just rescind the offer with the generic background/credit check issue explanation.

Although you claim you have no knowledge about those two default/collections, you need to find out ASAP if they are legitimate charges against you or if it was a mistake. Get it cleared NOW because you need it cleared. If it is a mistake, you may get an opportunity to explain and hopefully the credit reporting agency will issue an update that they were errors, but the more likely scenario is the employment decision will be made before any correction can be made. If they turn out to be legitimate, it’s a red flag as not only were you in default, you didn’t even have control over your finances to know what you owed and to whom.

Please clear it up now because the next job you apply for may run into the same thing so give them the best shot entering into the relationship than trying to explain after they discover it.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,585,893 times
Why would an employer need a credit report is what I would like to know... risk of theft? Of what? Are you working in a bank or similar profession with access to large amounts of cash? That I could see...

I guess every profession has something that could be stolen and taken to the local pawn shop... but unless it's a bank I just don't see the purpose.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Why would an employer need a credit report is what I would like to know... risk of theft? Of what? Are you working in a bank or similar profession with access to large amounts of cash? That I could see...

I guess every profession has something that could be stolen and taken to the local pawn shop... but unless it's a bank I just don't see the purpose.
OP is working with PCI compliance. Payment Card Industry.

Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a proprietary information security standard for organizations that handle cardholder information for the major debit, credit, prepaid, e-purse, ATM, and POS cards.

Defined by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council, the standard was created to increase controls around cardholder data to reduce credit card fraud via its exposure. Validation of compliance is done annually
Quote:
PCI DSS originally began as five different programs: Visa Card Information Security Program, MasterCard Site Data Protection, American Express Data Security Operating Policy, Discover Information and Compliance, and the JCB Data Security Program

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,585,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
OP is working with PCI compliance. Payment Card Industry.

Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ahh... that's what I get for not googling PCI. :-)

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
HR is more concerned about recent financial trouble. It would make you a higher risk of theft.

$20k in student loan debt is not a red flag. The HR lady might have over $20k in her own student loans.
Thanks that makes me feel better... the last "negative notice" on my report was over 2 years ago.
I already told them there is one or two dings and my student loans so my credit is poor-fair... so I hope it all works out, the C-Level who hired me told me not to worry when I mentioned it, but I don't think its his call.

I just worry because I had to give notice to accept this (amazing) offer, and I thought I was in the clear till the credit check. Its also the first time I had a background check ran on me

Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 AM

Years ago, I was hired for a mid-sized financial services firm. I had access to 100,000's of social security numbers, bank account numbers, etc. Besides the $75 collection, I had no recent issues. I was also worried about the issue.

Even if you do get the job, the credit report should be reviewed 1-2 times a year. All the baddies need to be cleared immediately. New ones may pop up unexpectedly. I had a family member end up with a defaulted credit card account. The residential address was over 1200 miles away in another state.

Last edited by move4ward; 12-22-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search