Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAjustpeachy View Post
If there is a job you are interested in on CL, copy the posting title and paste in a search browser. Alot of times you will find the company name and the post on other jobsites, and possibly more info on the job too.

For those of you who do not recommend CL, what jobsites do you prefer?

Careerbuilder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAjustpeachy View Post
If there is a job you are interested in on CL, copy the posting title and paste in a search browser. Alot of times you will find the company name and the post on other jobsites, and possibly more info on the job too.

For those of you who do not recommend CL, what jobsites do you prefer?
Along with CareerBuilder, I've found that Monster will have decent jobs posted. Seems like if a site charges an employer to post a job, the job will be legit.

Indeed, Snag-a-Job, Jobs2Careers, Simply Hired, Tech Careers, etc., will post jobs that have already been posted elsewhere and they will usually be verbatim from another site.

I saw two jobs on Craigslist this morning that peaked my interest, but had no contact information whatsoever. I sent an email (through my Gmail account) and asked them if it was a legit job, explaining about the fake and scam jobs on CL, and if it was legit, to reply back to me with contact info and I would submit my resume. I had a reply back within a few minutes on one of them, and it was a legit company in the city where I live and a bona fide job.

This could be a way to weed out the crap on CL. Reply back without attaching a resume and asking if it's a legit company and available job. See if they reply back and if they do, then you can do more research.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
That's one of the things I like the most about it. When you respond via email, you can pretty much make the case for you to be hired right there.
That's true, the real jobs are often at smaller companies where the person hiring is the one looking at the responses rather than an HR person who is looking at 100s of resume's from many places, and may not even know much about the job, or which are the best candidates to send on to the person hiring. In my city many small companies ONLY use Craigslist, and word of mouth so ignoring it for fear of scams is not a good idea, just be smart about it and you may find yourself with a great job.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Along with CareerBuilder, I've found that Monster will have decent jobs posted. Seems like if a site charges an employer to post a job, the job will be legit.

Indeed, Snag-a-Job, Jobs2Careers, Simply Hired, Tech Careers, etc., will post jobs that have already been posted elsewhere and they will usually be verbatim from another site.

I saw two jobs on Craigslist this morning that peaked my interest, but had no contact information whatsoever. I sent an email (through my Gmail account) and asked them if it was a legit job, explaining about the fake and scam jobs on CL, and if it was legit, to reply back to me with contact info and I would submit my resume. I had a reply back within a few minutes on one of them, and it was a legit company in the city where I live and a bona fide job.

This could be a way to weed out the crap on CL. Reply back without attaching a resume and asking if it's a legit company and available job. See if they reply back and if they do, then you can do more research.

Wow well I probably missed out on a lot of opportunities because if I saw no contact info in the CL ad I would always skip it lol

Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Wow well I probably missed out on a lot of opportunities because if I saw no contact info in the CL ad I would always skip it lol
Don't feel alone. So have I. I don't know why this idea just came to me this morning, but it worked. At least for one of them, so I did weed out one bad one.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

334 posts, read 450,928 times
Quote:

I got my current job by way of my listing on Monster, I was at another place through a temp agency when contacted but since the job was better I jumped at it.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM

382 posts, read 803,843 times
If you are looking for a job that requires education and experience, the "scammers" usually don't go after those. Because they don't know a nurse needs B.L.S., C.N.O.R., etc. It's the sales jobs, customer service, etc. The uneducated/unskilled have the problem on Craigslist.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

30 posts, read 43,280 times
Its full of Nigerian Emails and also people looking to use your address and name for ID theft.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
It does work, but it's also full of scam ads. Choose carefully.
I wish they could implement some sort of rating system for Craigslist, like they have for eBay.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times
Quote:

In my area the majority of ads are scams, but doing what you did has helped me weed out the real ones. I never see any that have a company name. When I was looking a couple of years ago I would respond to the ad asking anything that made sense. Like which city was the job actually located in, or any question that might get a response from a real person if it was a real job. I never send my resume unless I know it's a real company. The last one I interviewed in said she was interested in me as I was the only one who didn't send their resume without checking them out first. They dealt with a lot of confidential information, and someone who was more careful was what they were looking for.
I think there are some good jobs out there. But I do see a huge difference in locations. I look on CL in the area I grew up around in another state, and most of them actually do have the company name. Not so here In CA where I live. Lot of scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search