Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Echoing everyone else--a cardigan in no way replaces a business jacket. Sweaters are casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Lady's how do you style bra strap length hair?
Simple ponytail or bun.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM

444 posts, read 820,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Personally, I would invest in a blazer and pants that look good. You didn't say why you think a pants suit will look bad. However, I would first try some different brands before giving up. I would prefer pants to a dress, but if wearing a dress I think it should still be with a blazer. I would go for basic dark colors - gray or blue or similar. Unless you live in a very warm climate, in which case lighter colors might be OK. ABSOLUTELY NO CLEAVAGE. If you're top-heavy, then keep it all mashed down and covered up. A dress could be professional enough for an interview, but it's not as good as a suit. If you do wear a dress, it should be something structured and sleek (versus a flowy or stretchy knit). If you give more details about your age and body type, perhaps I could recommend something more specific.
Hi marie5v,

I am a 5" size 18, and I am an apple shape (carrying weight around the middle).

The blazers are difficult because they are so much fabric. Or they don't hide things an apple needs hidden.

It's hard to find blazers in a store that I can put on and look good because plus sized sections are so small in stores at the local mall.

I would order something online, but I try on 10 blazers at the mall and none of them fit right so I fear that would be the case with online (making for a hefty shipping fee and/or a large return). I also worry that the item will not be here in time.

I have talked to a few local tailors, but it would take longer than I have to get the item fitted.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
How can you be only 5 feet tall but a size 18? That is almost impossible, unless the size is just to fit the bust? If this is the case then you have no other options except for tailoring. If you don't have time, then perhaps a structure dress - not a knit, but something like a shirt or suit dress. Also, get some good shapewear - not so much to look thinner, but to look smoother and avoid bulges. Try a Spanx store if you have one near you, or try online with zappos - free shipping and delivery, and fast. You will obviously be pretty limited by needing a plus size. I would stick with plus sized stores in the area - sorry I don't have any recommendations because that is really a specialty size.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Simple ponytail or bun.
Get a good quality haircut instead. Ponytails and buns look sloppy and like you don't care, unless you are a fresh-faced skinny 20-something.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
How can you be only 5 feet tall but a size 18? That is almost impossible, unless the size is just to fit the bust? If this is the case then you have no other options except for tailoring. If you don't have time, then perhaps a structure dress - not a knit, but something like a shirt or suit dress. Also, get some good shapewear - not so much to look thinner, but to look smoother and avoid bulges. Try a Spanx store if you have one near you, or try online with zappos - free shipping and delivery, and fast. You will obviously be pretty limited by needing a plus size. I would stick with plus sized stores in the area - sorry I don't have any recommendations because that is really a specialty size.
It is not impossible to be 5 ft and size 18 at all.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM

256 posts, read 616,785 times
Buy yourself a good compression bra. Also spanx works good to hold everything in place. Tailoring is a great option. Having one good interview outfit will make you feel more confident. Wear heals to make yourself look taller.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
At 5' size 18 you have severe limitations on the clothes you can buy. While unemployed now you should also try to lose a lot of weight, - you are obese and probably are borderline type 2 diabetic.

At many eng / mfg companies I worked at I rarely saw women engineers. At Pentair there was a processing temp who was obese, and snacked a lot on the job. She didn't last long. Being overweight might hurt your career and people's opinions of you.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM

444 posts, read 820,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
At 5' size 18 you have severe limitations on the clothes you can buy. While unemployed now you should also try to lose a lot of weight, - you are obese and probably are borderline type 2 diabetic.

At many eng / mfg companies I worked at I rarely saw women engineers. At Pentair there was a processing temp who was obese, and snacked a lot on the job. She didn't last long. Being overweight might hurt your career and people's opinions of you.
I am NOT unemployed. I work 40+ hours as a student researcher and I am completing my engineering degree. I actually live quite a full life. I do workout and diet. I've lost 15 lbs in 3 months.

I do worry about how being heavy looks, but losing weight is NOT an overnight process.

I just need to find something to wear to this interview with the body I have now.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Don't worry about it. Wear something you feel confident in, and have a good attitude.

I suggest going to Nordstoms, and trying on some clothes in the Women's section. A saleswoman can help you put together a good outfit.

I suggest spending some money on a good interview outfit, with good shoes. Yes, it will be a lot of money. But the cost of not getting a job, because you have trashy clothes is not smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search