Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
Better not try that on Maoris, Tongans or Samoans (among others) all of whom tattoo as manhood rites and whose tattoos often delineate tribal relations, nobility or Royalty as well as whether or not folk are Chiefs or Tohungas (Maori Priests.)
I've been to NZ and didn't see an abundance of Maoris with tats on their faces. I'm pretty sure the ones I saw in the shows put on for tourists were wearing makeup. Not that it couldn't happen, but it would be exceedingly rare to see a royal face-tattooed South Pacific Islander applying for a white collar corporate job in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 AM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I've been to NZ and didn't see an abundance of Maoris with tats on their faces. I'm pretty sure the ones I saw in the shows put on for tourists were wearing makeup. Not that it couldn't happen, but it would be exceedingly rare to see a royal face-tattooed South Pacific Islander applying for a white collar corporate job in the US.
You are missing the important point here. One size does not fit all. You cannot lump all people who have tattoos into the 'they need not apply here because they are unprofessional group.' As with so much else in life, people cannot be grouped in this manner.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Have you seen the build of the average Tongan / Samoan / Maori?
The build of the average Maori didn't stop British regulars, many of them small guttersnipes of the slums who joined the army in search of a steady meal, from putting paid to them. Little guys are usually tougher than big ones; big guys often get over on bluster, little guys strike without warning.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The build of the average Maori didn't stop British regulars, many of them small guttersnipes of the slums who joined the army in search of a steady meal, from putting paid to them. Little guys are usually tougher than big ones; big guys often get over on bluster, little guys strike without warning.
You need to research what happened. As an example, the battle with the Maori began the whole idea of trench warfare.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
You are missing the important point here. One size does not fit all. You cannot lump all people who have tattoos into the 'they need not apply here because they are unprofessional group.' As with so much else in life, people cannot be grouped in this manner.
The people who are hiring can make those decisions any way they like. The truth is that there are more qualified people than there are jobs so employers are free to make hiring decisions based on whatever criteria they choose, as long as they do not violate the law. If the employment situation turns around you may see hiring managers change their requirements. However, as long as there are more qualified people than spots you get a visible tattoo at your own risk.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Anyone with a tattoo on their face, neck, or hand is not eligible for employment.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Apologies, but this is one of the more ridiculous threads I've seen. Comparisons to hair color or even skin color? Really folks? I hate euphemisms, so can we just call it what it is? It's called self-mutilation, although, technically, this is mutilation done by someone else. If someone applied for a job with cuts all over their arms, it would be cause for concern and would be universally regarded as unappealing. For some reason, when the mutilation is done by someone else, made to luck like Betty Boop, barbed wire or a dragon, and injected with ink, it's not mutilation. Aces.

Yes, how "judgmental" of an employer to not want an employee walking around with mutilation marks all over their bodies! Outrageous! This reminds me of the whining I heard from other education students when they were informed that the lewd pictures they decided to post on their Facebook pages would probably jeopardize their chances of being hired as teachers because one of the first things administrators do is check out applicants' Facebook pages. "How dare they make judgments about me based upon what I choose to share with the world!"

BTW, kudos to the person a few pages back who got to the essence of all this: "Look at me! Lookat me!!!" It connects nicely to the narcissism of the Facebook obsessives who plaster their private lives on the internet.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Anyone with a tattoo on their face, neck, or hand is not eligible for employment.
I wouldn't paint with such a broad bush. Mike Tyson's face tattoo enhances his personality. When I first saw it I didn't care for it, but now it's kind of iconic.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I wouldn't paint with such a broad bush. Mike Tyson's face tattoo enhances his personality. When I first saw it I didn't care for it, but now it's kind of iconic.
Agreed. We'll call it the "Iron Mike Exception."

I know I would hire Mike in a second.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Tatts are low class and meant for sailors.
That is a pretty ignorant remark. I know pleanty of people in upper management / executive positions who have advanced degrees, make nice 6-figure salaries and have tattoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The firm in the OP's example is making it clear up front that it is not acceptable behavior for them. I think that's fair.
Agreed. And even if one's company / employers have no issue with tattoos, there is a possibility that some of their clients might. It is stated up front - if someone has an issue with it, they can choose to apply for a job elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm the OP about last month's podt regarding my turnoff at seeing tatts on employees at Panera and Whole Foods.

In that post, I mentioned that Jimmy John's sandwich delivery even states that tatts must be covered. I'm sure many posters here feel that's silly, but I'd still prefer to not have to see my delivery driver or anyone at the gym with tatts. Simple as that. I'm 52, if that matters.
I prefer not to have to look at old people - they are all wrinkly and gross looking. And if they happen to be female add to that those horrible sagging breasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I guess I still don't get why so many people are using the word "unprofessional." I work with a very educated (many with advanced degrees), international crowd and many of my colleagues have visible tattoos.
I work with a similar type of group - and have a few tats myself. But there are certain expectations in the white-collar business world, especially when dealing with clients. We can sit around the table in the boardroom and no one cares if someone's tattoos are showing (heck, we're a jeans kind of place most days). But if a client comes in for a meeting or we go out and interact with people outside of the company, we're all in suits and dressed and looking how we are expected to look in a professional setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search