Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,990,399 times

Advertisements

[quote=kelsie;27632458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also want to state,and I hope it doesn't inflame,but here goes.....

I noticed when interviewing in a southern state,that they often asked questions that were illegal,something no one ever asked me in Jersey. They would ask with a smile on their faces"Are you married"?
Its illegal. Yes, we live in the same Country, but leaving NJ to NC 10 yrs. ago we realized that there are different ways to use the laws. My husband applied for a job when we first moved here and he was asked by the CEO, "how old are you". My h just laughed and told him. Also 10 yrs. ago we went into the Court House to pay our taxes and my h said to the Clerk who was smoking at her desk, "I thought smoking was banned from Federal Offices yrs. ago" her reply was-"you are in the South now "son".
OMG!! I love it!!!

Southerners, if anything are HONEST.

Nosey mf's that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM

342 posts, read 405,265 times
[quote=kelsie;27632458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also want to state,and I hope it doesn't inflame,but here goes.....

I noticed when interviewing in a southern state,that they often asked questions that were illegal,something no one ever asked me in Jersey. They would ask with a smile on their faces"Are you married"?
Its illegal. Yes, we live in the same Country, but leaving NJ to NC 10 yrs. ago we realized that there are different ways to use the laws. My husband applied for a job when we first moved here and he was asked by the CEO, "how old are you". My h just laughed and told him. Also 10 yrs. ago we went into the Court House to pay our taxes and my h said to the Clerk who was smoking at her desk, "I thought smoking was banned from Federal Offices yrs. ago" her reply was-"you are in the South now "son".
County Court houses are not Federal buildings. They are governed by State and local laws.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
If you want to work for me and represent my company, then it is MY BUSINESS. I have a need to know of any potential pitfall I may face when I hire an employee.
That's pretty much my attitude. If your going to represent me and my business, handle my money and take care of my property, I will ask what ever I want to see if you can convince me your worth my trust, my time and my money.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
That's pretty much my attitude. If your going to represent me and my business, handle my money and take care of my property, I will ask what ever I want to see if you can convince me your worth my trust, my time and my money.
And what the hell are YOU giving me besides minimum wage?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, it's not. It's a discriminatory, nosey and invasive practice that is about to be done away in 15 MORE STATES, because they see it that way too.

The laws to abolish it will be passed THIS year.
Don't kid yourself. There is always a way around the law to get the needing info to weed out bad people. I know of a cell phone store that tells applicants up front they prefer to hire current customers of the cell phone company they represent. Try and get a cell phone contract without a credit check. He does that to save him money. He does not state you must be a customer but I happen to know he never hires someone who is not. Actually he never hires anyone who did not start their contract through his dealership so he already has personal information on file about them. Although this is not promoted as part of his hiring decision.

I know a guy who (and I disagree with this practice) will not hire Hispanics. He does not ask their race but conducts face to face interviews and weeds out anyone he thinks is Hispanic. He does not tell them that's why he did not hire them. On paper he follows all the rules.

I have never hired a man or boy who came in with sagging pants. I also don't like visible tattoo's. I never hired anyone that appeared to have piercings anywhere but the ears and not even men who had those. I would never tell an applicant that was the reason but we are allowed to conduct interviews.

Until you can find a way to force a company to hire someone without any input or contact from the applicant they will find way's to obtain the info they choose.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
And what the hell are YOU giving me besides minimum wage?
First of all watch your language. There may be a lady on this forum!

If you came in looking for work with me and had that attitude I would just show you the door.

I don't recall what minimum wage was or is. We sold the business in 2005 but at that time we started part-time people at $8.00 plus commissions and I don't think we had a full time employee that made less than $10.00 an hour plus commissions. I paid my people a commission on add-on's and upgrades and accessories with a new contract. Like if someone bought a new contract phone and added the insurance, a car charger and leather case the employee got commission on the insurance, charger and case. I had employees making more on commission than their base pay.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
First of all watch your language. There may be a lady on this forum!
Awwww, well "bless your heart" for lookin' out for the "ladies".

Quote:
If you came in looking for work with me and had that attitude I would just show you the door.
No you wouldn't. You'd show me a "seat" in your office to ask me how I can benefit your company, in addition to asking me nosey, invasive and intrusive questions.

Of course I'd come in with a big smile on my face and acting THRILLED to death at the prospect of being interviewed by you and working for your FABULOUS store.

Quote:
I don't recall what minimum wage was or is. We sold the business in 2005 but at that time we started part-time people at $8.00 plus commissions and I don't think we had a full time employee that made less than $10.00 an hour plus commissions. I paid my people a commission on add-on's and upgrades and accessories with a new contract. Like if someone bought a new contract phone and added the insurance, a car charger and leather case the employee got commission on the insurance, charger and case. I had employees making more on commission than their base pay.
I think they stopped doing this at the cellphone stores. I'm not sure.

It's a great deal though.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Awwww, well "bless your heart" for lookin' out for the "ladies".
Someone has too! I was raised that a gentleman never said a foul word in front of a lady. I still open doors too. I get funny looks sometimes but it's the way I was raised.

Kind of like when I travel up north and go in stores and restaurants and turn on the southern accent. Sayin' "How ya'll doin" and "got any grits". I also notice people up north don't wave back at you when you meet them while driving down the road.

Quote:
No you wouldn't. You'd show me a "seat" in your office to ask me how I can benefit your company, in addition to asking me nosey, invasive and intrusive questions.
If you came with that attitude I would indeed show you the door.

Quote:
Of course I'd come in with a big smile on my face and acting THRILLED to death at the prospect of being interviewed by you and working for your FABULOUS store.
See even you acknowledge you would not come in with that attitude to apply for a job.

Quote:
I think they stopped doing this at the cellphone stores. I'm not sure.

It's a great deal though.
A lot of other dealers told me I paid them too much. But it made me more successful than most of them. So much that one of them bought me out and has sense gone out of business.

I believe you can get anything in life you want if you just help enough other people get what they want. If you make me money I want to enjoy that profit as well. If you feel like doing more will result in more for you then you will perform at a higher level and we both make more money.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Someone has too! I was raised that a gentleman never said a foul word in front of a lady. I still open doors too. I get funny looks sometimes but it's the way I was raised.

Kind of like when I travel up north and go in stores and restaurants and turn on the southern accent. Sayin' "How ya'll doin" and "got any grits". I also notice people up north don't wave back at you when you meet them while driving down the road.
No, we don't.

Quote:
See even you acknowledge you would not come in with that attitude to apply for a job.
Of course I wouldn't! I know how to play the interview "game".

Quote:
A lot of other dealers told me I paid them too much. But it made me more successful than most of them. So much that one of them bought me out and has sense gone out of business.

I believe you can get anything in life you want if you just help enough other people get what they want. If you make me money I want to enjoy that profit as well. If you feel like doing more will result in more for you then you will perform at a higher level and we both make more money.
I applaud you for this and it's TRUE.

When you treat people with respect you get respect back.

I remember seeing ads with AT&T's cell store in LA saying something along the lines of not getting a base salary and only getting commission. I really don't remember or know if it's still like this, but if it is, then it's a turn off.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,471,040 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's a discriminatory, nosey and invasive practice that is about to be done away in 15 MORE STATES, because they see it that way too.

The laws to abolish it will be passed THIS year.
No it won't and it isn't. Obviously you will never have the ability to hire anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search