Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
IMO, allowing someone to look at your credit history is just as much of a privacy violation as them asking for paystubs, W2s and tax returns. Credit histories show what you spend your money on and personally, that isn't anyone else's business.
Right to work states and the loss of union lobbying for employee protections result in this type of requirement.

Idiots vote against their best interest and this is the result.

This is what people demanded, fewer employee protections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Right to work states and the loss of union lobbying for employee protections result in this type of requirement.

Idiots vote against their best interest and this is the result.

This is what people demanded, fewer employee protections.
^^^THIS!!! You are absolutely right. The stupid people siding with the state government to "banish" or "cripple" union protections were too envious and jealous to see the REAL ramifications from this.

Our government knows better than anyone, that there will ALWAYS be a huge swath of folks that will never be able to think for themselves and blindly follow anything said to them by those in "authority" or "prestige" roles.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Gullible twits!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Did you even read the article? You have it all wrong.
What article do I have all wrong?

I read the one where it says that 15 states are trying to do away with prescreening applicants to get positions that have nothing to do with security.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Look...now... I sign all those credit authorizations, I don't care. My credit isn't great. I have a student loan in forbearance for 6,000. Judgment re credit cards for 3,000. No foreclosures thank god, 'cos I rent.No other loans or debts. But seriously, this type of credit history is enough to disqualify me from a 4 month temp job that does not involve handling money or merchandise? I feel that's lame. The company never sent me a rejection letter or email. But they interviewed me Dec. 3rd so I assume they've move on. I HAVE. It's water under the bridge, at this point.
Judgments against you?
Yes.

There are many requirements for federal employment.
Would you hire someone who defaults on loans and shows bad judgment with credit cards?

That says something about the potential employee; and it's not positive.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Judgments against you?
Yes.

Would you hire someone who defaults on loans and shows bad judgment with credit cards?

I don't see why people don't get this. It's such a simple concept.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Judgments against you?
Yes.

In a pre-recession/depression I would agree with you, but not TODAY.

There have not been any jobs. Millions of people are defaulting or not paying not because they WANT to be deadbeats, but because there are NO JOBS to help them pay off their debts.

The days of the bad credit person being a "liability" crap is over and no longer valid.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't see why people don't get this. It's such a simple concept.
Wasn't General Petraeus a "governmental" employee as well?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm amazed that people really believe this crap and accept it as "law".

It's not. It's a super huge invasion of privacy. This is why I will continue to say that currently working people should IMMEDIATELY start getting a side business together ASAP.

If a criminal background check doesn't show of any crimes being committed, then the person should be fine to hire. Millions of americans have bad credit now due to this economy. I'm not talking 10 million, but closer to 80 million or so. Everyone has been indirectly affected by this economy in one way or another. Many just need a JOB to get everything back on track again.

Turning down someone for a job due to bad credit is a form of legal discrimination and EVERYONE knows it.
There is nothing legally discriminating by asking for credit checks.
What law is it violating? Not a one.

People don't understand that when they demonize unions and other employee lobbies, this is what you get.
Can unions be better, yes; but who else if trying to do anything for employees?

Do you have anything to back up your post?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
As long as a drug test is clear and criminal check is clear, don't f*n worry about credit. These employers who are doing this just hate the unemployed. The reject you because you're unemployed or credit, or both. If this scheit continues, many people are just gonna give up and start selling booty on the street, or selling other things. You got to eat and pay bills. The other option is just leave this country and go somewhere else to just f*n wing it.

You can only go around in circles for so long before you just decide to give up.

You know what, when you give me these forms and I see credit check authorization for a job that has nothing to do with job duties, I realize you're a hater. YOU'RE A HATER. You just lost major points with me.

I don't want to work for haters.
Talk about entitlement.
Don't you think it's your responsibility to clean up your credit problems?
You made them, no one else.

Good, don't work for a living, there are hundreds of applicants for the same job that have: a) a better attitude; and b) good credit.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-02-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

342 posts, read 407,802 times
Default My 2 cents for what it's worth

Over the years I have managed and owned business' and have employed a lot of people. My personal experience has been that people who can manage their personal lives, including their finances, tend to take better care of my (my bushiness) property and finances.

Of the 5 people I caught red handed from steeling from me:

Eric: Bankrupt, garnishments, food stamps. constant issues with wife that ended up in the workplace.

Susie: garnishments, bill collectors calling, repo people coming by, major family issues.

Ronnie: didn't last too long. Caught him stealing and teaching other how to rip me off.

Eva: Divorced and major issues with ex and custody, always having trouble paying bills, sold drugs from my workplace

Gloria: Repos, garnishments, bad checks, could not drive across street on way home to make deposits at the bank.

Also all but one of those 5 came to me without a current job.

Should I ever again be in a position to hire people I would insist on background and credit checks. If my state made it against the law for me to demand it I would just not hire anyone who would not volunteer to provide that information. It's sad we have to be that way but in today's society it's just a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search