Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times

Advertisements

Linkedin is perfect for networking. With the right networking technique, careers can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I don't know, I must be different from all of you. People I don't know, or hardly know, or barely worked with, will "connect" with me and then ask me to give them a reference.

I think it's really just Facebook for work people. I've seen people embellish their past jobs or current jobs. I'm to the point where I don't believe what people are saying anymore. Who checks the facts? Anybody could say almost anything.

It does sound like lots of you had found jobs through it, so it must be working for some people. Are you IT people?
I am in IT, and I use it. I haven't found a job through it, though. But I haven't been looking lately either.

What field are you in?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

49 posts, read 98,104 times
I think it only works for highly qualified people with unique, in-demand skills. Not so much for the vast majority of us who are grade school teachers, secretaries, assistants, etc.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
I don't know, I must be different from all of you. People I don't know, or hardly know, or barely worked with, will "connect" with me and then ask me to give them a reference.

I think it's really just Facebook for work people. I've seen people embellish their past jobs or current jobs. I'm to the point where I don't believe what people are saying anymore. Who checks the facts? Anybody could say almost anything.

It does sound like lots of you had found jobs through it, so it must be working for some people. Are you IT people?
I am in pharmaceutical research, not IT.

LinkedIn is a tool, and its usefullness is in how one uses that tool. I do use LinkedIn to stay in touch with contacts. But I also did the same thing long before LinkedIn (or social media of any sort was around). During my last job hunt, my first step would have been to reach out to contacts for assistance - if there was no LinkedIn, I would have done the exact same thing, but through phone calls or direct e-mails instead.

Really, the largest benefit I feel I have gotten from LinkedIn is that I don't have to keep up with changes in contact info (e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc.) when those contacts move on to new jobs or change their contact information. If one of my colleagues / contacts up and moves from Comapny A in Philly to Company B in Los Angeles; I don't have to worry about not having their new contact information. Same with me - when I switched jobs, I did not have to notify my contacts of such changes - former colleagues were still able to reach me directly through LinkedIn when they were looking for new positions.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:

I work in E-Commerce handling email deployment. Sort of ITish. Mine is definitely a niche market. I enjoy keeping in touch with my old coworkers through LinkedIn. Usually I am approached with job offers once a month or so because of it.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
I haven't personally landed a job by LinkedIn, but having a LinkedIn account sure doesn't hurt. A recruiter contacted me that way. She wanted $1,000 if successful in finding a job for me, but it's still nice to know LinkedIn has potential.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
I think whether or not Linkedin helps you find a job depends on a few factors. 1. How you market yourself online. 2. Your skill set or industry 3. How well you network when you have a job and things of that nature. Linkedin is merely a tool to help you seek out work, but it is not the only way to find work. There are many variables that come into play. I have helped other people get in touch with others who may be able to help them find work.

In my field of IT, LinkedIN is used very often and has helped me land multiple interviews over the years for some good paying jobs. I really do like having it to stay in touch with former and current colleagues and classmates from over the years. LI is like an online Roledex that updates itself. I personally find LI way more useful than most any other social media.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
All the top recruitment agencies use FB twitter and LinkedIn for finding talent. It's called 21r-twenty first century recruiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search