Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times

Advertisements

I would think so, but I once applied and interviewed for a job and they did the background checks AFTER I had come on board. Actually, I had two jobs in the past 4 years that did that.

What is the usual protocol on how this is done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM

223 posts, read 732,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I would think so, but I once applied and interviewed for a job and they did the background checks AFTER I had come on board. Actually, I had two jobs in the past 4 years that did that.

We normally do them before to ensure we want to make an offer. We do a NACLC (National Agency
Check with Local Agency Check) to check for a criminal background, financial probs, etc. If you don't have any major problems in your past it's normally not a problem.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM

I have 2 judgments from long-term unemployment from 2009 to 2012. I was on 2 state and all the federal tiers then no income for a year. I lived in a very rural area then but applied to urban areas and no jobs. It was a very rough time.

One of the first things I am going to do end of month is file Chapter 7 to avoid wage garnishments. (A previous part-time employer was garnished before I left that job.) I've been working with my attorney on this for a few months.

I am hoping this is not an issue and that this employer (if I get the job!) never finds out any of this.

I just want a fresh start and to get on with my life.

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Just got a job back in September with a big company. They checked my references before they made the offer and then made me an offer pending a clean (and very in-depth) background check. So I accepted the offer and then had to wait on pins and needles for a week for everything to come back. Current employer works with banks and credit unions, so their background check was a little more detailed than other prospective employers. They did not care about finances, just to make sure that you actually had a college degree, no criminal history, verified past salary and no DUI's.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
My take on this timing is to consider the reasons why an employer does a background check. If you are a known quantity the background check is for insurance reasons, they aren't anticipating any problems at all but if something does happen in the future they can demonstrate that it wasn't a negligent hire. This is particularly an issue when an employee is on the premises with little supervision, works security, or contacts clients off-site.

Security checks pre-hire are important when there is little link between the job and legal issues but they don't want to hire someone with issues. Easier to handle a reason for not hiring than discharge.

Background checks where the employee will be handling finances, money, or verifying credentials is almost without exception pre-offer.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM

105 posts, read 362,154 times
Worked-Education -always before
Retail -money -always before
Any time you handle large amount of money most want BK check if you the right person they may let you explain, Are you sure it will show up ??

Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
We normally do them after the offer. No need to waste money on a check, if the candidate is not going to accept our offer.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

Please find out whether or not a BK will take you out of the running for this job before you file!

If this is an investigation for a security clearance, aka for one of the Federal agencies, I am told that a recent BK will generally result in a disqualification. Rationale: agencies who look for candidates using this process want "trustworthy" people who will honor their commitments. These are not my words, and I make no value judgments here. If it is a security clearance job, the judgments rendered by the investigators are harsh.

You will always have an opportunity to explain a negative finding. However, please be aware that "I wanted to start off fresh" is not considered a good reason to walk away from debts that you actually incurred.

IF this is a security clearance job, and you really want the job, best option is to use one of those non-profit debt consolidation programs. Not a fly-by-night one. Believe it or not, good referrals are to be found from the collections arm of your credit card company. Make sure it is independent, and not a wholly owned subsidiary.

The advantage of this route is that it demonstrates your action to honor your obligations and it puts those actions into the control of a third party. As long as you send them a check every month, they will allocate it amongst all the various creditors.

In these days, with so many people having had to liquidate assets in order to stay alive, this always seemed a bit harsh to me. Please note, again: these are not my words, but those of a security clearance investigator.

Very best wishes to you. Glad you have gotten out that dark place.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If we are interested in an applicant, we may conduct a limited background check during the interview process. A limited check is basically an Information Services report with preliminary available information. That's a good way to get some important info without a full background check. Once we decide to make an offer, the applicant must complete the full background check information authorization.

If the Information Services report didn’t show anything unusual, we may hire the person pending a satisfactory full check. If the Information Services report showed something funny, we would speak to the person about it since that information may be wrong or incomplete. However, we would not bring that person on board with questionable issues until the full background check clears it up.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Please find out whether or not a BK will take you out of the running for this job before you file!

If this is an investigation for a security clearance, aka for one of the Federal agencies, I am told that a recent BK will generally result in a disqualification. Rationale: agencies who look for candidates using this process want "trustworthy" people who will honor their commitments. These are not my words, and I make no value judgments here. If it is a security clearance job, the judgments rendered by the investigators are harsh.

You will always have an opportunity to explain a negative finding. However, please be aware that "I wanted to start off fresh" is not considered a good reason to walk away from debts that you actually incurred.

IF this is a security clearance job, and you really want the job, best option is to use one of those non-profit debt consolidation programs. Not a fly-by-night one. Believe it or not, good referrals are to be found from the collections arm of your credit card company. Make sure it is independent, and not a wholly owned subsidiary.

The advantage of this route is that it demonstrates your action to honor your obligations and it puts those actions into the control of a third party. As long as you send them a check every month, they will allocate it amongst all the various creditors.

In these days, with so many people having had to liquidate assets in order to stay alive, this always seemed a bit harsh to me. Please note, again: these are not my words, but those of a security clearance investigator.

Very best wishes to you. Glad you have gotten out that dark place.
Job does not require a security clearance, though I did a contract job for a few weeks last year that DID and I had no problem getting hired.

In my case I have judgments from 3 years of long-term unemployment and there is the threat that these will garnish my wages at a new job. BK is for MY protection, not an attempt to shirk responsibilities. The amounts due these entities far surpasses any ability to pay even if I wanted to do so. Also, I can't do the BK until I get a job and can pay attorneys, filing fees, etc.

I long ago liquidated all my meager assets. I am not truly worried about a background and credit check hampering my chances of being hired. If they do they do. I cannot change that part. I just wanted to get a feel for timing on an offer or a rejection if a background check is involved. Thanks for all your info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search