Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM

156 posts, read 313,104 times

Advertisements

Basically I worked entirely abroad in Asia and speak Korean.....in reality I'm mixed black/white.
Most interviewing companies think I'm Asian by my resume.

Ironically Asian interviewers seem to have no problem with this but I seem to get some strange interviews responses in the USA and wonder if this might be why?**

Would you be thrown off if the person you planned to interview had a totally different race than you were expecting?

** EX: 3-5 minute long interviews, "overqualified" constantly despite reviewing my resume beforehand, etc.
I also get a "you wouldn't fit in with our company culture" vibe more often than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Basically I worked entirely abroad in Asia and speak Korean.....in reality I'm mixed black/white... Would you be thrown off if the person you planned to interview had a totally different race than you were expecting? EX: 3-5 minute long interviews, "overqualified" constantly despite reviewing my resume beforehand, etc. I also get a "you wouldn't fit in with our company culture" vibe more often than not.
Udon, to clarify, are you feeling they are discriminating against you because of your race? Not sure which field you work in or in which capacity, but I'm wondering if the over-qualified statement might mean that you come across as a powerhouse better suited for a more managerial position, rather than fitting into a more casual environment.

I lived in Japan when young & my experience was that the work ethic is strong, no nonsense & forceful. Not sure if Korea is similar? I used to get that same comment when younger & applying for secretarial jobs in the states. In wanting to appear capable & eager to work, I believe I came across as more managerial rather than someone able to take direction. Actually, someone made the comment that I seemed to be a leader rather than someone would would fit in. I was stunned that that would be a negative... don't they want workers who can think on their feet... but apparently it did affect the interviewers as I got that comment all the time & learned to hold back a bit.

Not sure if it's the same issue with you, but just thought I'd offer it as a possibility.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Udon, to clarify, are you feeling they are discriminating against you because of your race? Not sure which field you work in or in which capacity, but I'm wondering if the over-qualified statement might mean that you come across as a powerhouse better suited for a more managerial position, rather than fitting into a more casual environment.

I lived in Japan when young & my experience was that the work ethic is strong, no nonsense & forceful. Not sure if Korea is similar? I used to get that same comment when younger & applying for secretarial jobs in the states. In wanting to appear capable & eager to work, I believe I came across as more managerial rather than someone able to take direction. Actually, someone made the comment that I seemed to be a leader rather than someone would would fit in. I was stunned that that would be a negative... don't they want workers who can think on their feet... but apparently it did affect the interviewers as I got that comment all the time & learned to hold back a bit.

Not sure if it's the same issue with you, but just thought I'd offer it as a possibility.

Best of luck to you!
You are my twin.

That's a large part of it.....I'm 26 and worked in 3-4 mutually exclusive fields professionally...even owned a warehouse for international wholesale.

Some interviewers even try to get me "higher" jobs and claim I'd be too bored in the normal positions but I actually want the lower position

I've had so many jobs tell me "how do I know you won't quit and do _______ instead" or "You will want a promotion in 3 months, I can't hire someone like that."

But they have seen my resume before so why would they call me for an interview if they thought I was overqualified!?! I figure that some freaked out because I'm the wrong race.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
You interview well and they offer a higher position, so you think it's a race issue? You need to do some practice interviews to project a worker bee role than a leadership role, if you only want worker bee roles.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You interview well and they offer a higher position, so you think it's a race issue? You need to do some practice interviews to project a worker bee role than a leadership role, if you only want worker bee roles.
They usually come out with "overqualified" within 3-20 minutes. Recruiters are usually excited but never offer any jobs. My resume pretty clearly states what I've done(it's 2 pages! Not fluff!) so why would a company call me?

Oddly enough I get offered interviews for jobs $25k-35k or $70k-100K+.

Zero middle ground...and those higher end positions spend half the interview/phone call slamming me for not being experienced in their field on the domestic angle.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and worked in 3-4 mutually exclusive fields professionally...even owned a warehouse for international wholesale.
Ah, see, that's it. Most 26-yr olds haven't owned or managed their own companies. Also, it sounds as if your resume is too packed for such a young age. I'd say condense and/or cut down your 3-4 jobs & leave out the ownership. I dislike using this phrase, but I've had to dumb down my resume before, as well. I'd worked for myself in my late teens & early 20's. It scared people who either thought I was after their jobs, was only taking something subordinate 'til a better opportunity came along or that I might take control & not be able to follow direction. I'm very ambitious, but also very agreeable & have worked just fine taking orders... they don't know that if all they see is a Type A resume & person all the way. Obviously you come across very dynamically in an interview & it sounds as if it's a bit over zealous if you're searching for slightly more subordinate positions. Does this make sense? Be a bit more laid back, because if they're seeing you after seeing your resume, it's more than plausible that they're being put off by you in some way. To them, you're over-qualified & too capable for what they're offering. You're just too cool for school, mate!

Quote:
Some interviewers even try to get me "higher" jobs and claim I'd be too bored in the normal positions but I actually want the lower position I've had so many jobs tell me "how do I know you won't quit and do _______ instead" or "You will want a promotion in 3 months, I can't hire someone like that."
Yes, perhaps we are twins. I'm looking for something peaceful & sedate for awhile, too. No one believes or understands it. But, you're trying to figure out why when you just need to realize & accept that the above is the way it is here. If you were suddenly going to Korea after working in America 'til age 26, you'd feel a bit out of sorts, too.

We are all at the mercy of hiring managers, so try to give them what they want, rather than project what you want & how much you've achieved. Again, not criticizing, just offering the strategy I often use.

Quote:
But they have seen my resume before so why would they call me for an interview if they thought I was overqualified!?! I figure that some freaked out because I'm the wrong race.
You can't help the race issue, so don't fret over it. Just as I've worked in the male dominated end of certain careers & knew I was discriminated against because I was a woman. It happens but I'm not going to try to look more male to avoid it. I can't do anything about it, so don't give it concern. You've achieved a lot & in another 10-yrs will probably be doing something very dynamic. You're obviously a go-getter. We need more 'yous'! Perhaps someday you'll run for president... or at least, be a company president.

I wholeheartedly agree with Move4. You're coming across like a dynamic leader, not a 'worker bee'. It's in your nature & you're motivated, which is great... but, not in the case where you are looking for 'lower positions' & your current strategy isn't working. I learned the hard way, too. Project what they want & stop being so darned smart, capable & showing achievement... you're making the rest of us worker bees look bad.

You'll do fine. Tone down the enthusiasm & revamp your resume a bit. Let them know you want to fit in, learn the culture by being one of the guys & don't mind at all pulling your weight & starting closer to entry level than executive.

Best of luck to you! You sound very cool! I think you're just experiencing a bit of growing pains working in a different culture, even though it's your own, because you haven't worked stateside before. That's normal. It happens whenever you change. I've worked on 4 continents... it's different everywhere I've been. I tried to blend in more & it always eventually worked. You'll do fine.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

69 posts, read 176,293 times
Quote:
Basically I worked entirely abroad in Asia and speak Korean.....in reality I'm mixed black/white.
Most interviewing companies think I'm Asian by my resume.

Ironically Asian interviewers seem to have no problem with this but I seem to get some strange interviews responses in the USA and wonder if this might be why?**

Would you be thrown off if the person you planned to interview had a totally different race than you were expecting?

** EX: 3-5 minute long interviews, "overqualified" constantly despite reviewing my resume beforehand, etc.
I also get a "you wouldn't fit in with our company culture" vibe more often than not.
Sorry to be the odd one out, but it might be your race (this is America for god sake). My only advice is keep trying and dont let anyone who hasn't experienced discrimination tell you any different, we might be in 2013 but we still have people from the 1900's in high positions.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Did you marry a Korean man and change your last name?

I am not going to assume they are non-Asian based on their work experience. There are many people with experience abroad. My Vietnamese friend works for a contractor in the Middle East since college. It's unlikely they are expecting a middle eastern person, if they interview her. Her last name Nguyen would have more bearing than international work experience.

If she married a local and took her husband's last name, I could see it happening. I could see somebody assuming she was Middle Eastern, but the determining factor is name not work experience.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Did you marry a Korean man and change your last name?

I am not going to assume they are non-Asian based on their work experience. There are many people with experience abroad. My Vietnamese friend works for a contractor in the Middle East since college. It's unlikely they are expecting a middle eastern person, if they interview her. Her last name Nguyen would have more bearing than international work experience.

If she married a local and took her husband's last name, I could see it happening. I could see somebody assuming she was Middle Eastern, but the determining factor is name not work experience.
I worked as an regularly published artist, rented buildings, was a public school teacher...in a few Asian countries.

My resume has near zero US work experience....

Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
I worked as an regularly published artist, rented buildings, was a public school teacher...in a few Asian countries.

My resume has near zero US work experience....
I am the polar opposite. I am asian with exclusively US work experience. I have no trouble finding a job. It just doesn't occur to me, that I am being rejected for being asian instead of white. With my family name, there is no mistaking my ethnicity.

You must have come across other international teachers in Teach Abroad or other programs.

Since this a serious problem, it may be best to meet other people that have come back to the USA ahead of you. You could look for a forum, meet up group for locals coming back. Ask them how they have dealt with the racial issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search