Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM

112 posts, read 287,824 times

Advertisements

Is this a thing? I'm from the US but live in England. I want to test the job market in the US to see if there's any interest from employers and compare potential salaries. I think I should put a US address on my resume so it looks like I'm local. Actually, all the personal details should be fake because I don't plan on moving this second and it's a small field that I work in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
For salary research, it may easier to go salary.com, glassdoor.com, and payscale.com and compare the difference.

If you don't find what you need with research, I find just asking somebody works well. You can google people already in the field and shoot off a tweet or email to them for career advice. People are often flattered, that you come to them for advice.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM

156 posts, read 313,166 times
Sure, drop lots of British slang during the phone calls for fun.

"aye, you some kind of poofter?"

"ACE!"

"bugger all...you call that an offer mate?"

Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
It's doubtful you'll get a lot of salary information without being offered a postion. And that normally requires an interview. Are you flying over fo these interviews? Pretty sure no company will pay for you to fly from GB if they think you live in NYC.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM

112 posts, read 287,824 times
The salary is usually given in the job listings so that's not the main thing for me. I just want to try to gauge the level of interest. How easy it would be able to find a job there. I know nobody would pay for the flight which is why I planned on using fake information so it looks like I'm local. I wouldn't actually go for any interview anyway. This is just to test the waters as it were.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
If you are only gauging interest now for a job next year or further out, it makes little sense. The demand and job market will be different at that point in time.

There is little benefit in applying for jobs and flaking out on the interview in a small field. You will be applying to the same companies in your real job search in the future. While there are no worries in a large field with numerous employers, since you could always apply somewhere else.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
Is this a thing? I'm from the US but live in England. I want to test the job market in the US to see if there's any interest from employers and compare potential salaries. I think I should put a US address on my resume so it looks like I'm local. Actually, all the personal details should be fake because I don't plan on moving this second and it's a small field that I work in.

Nothing wrong with it and I did it all the time which is how you can test a resume. In my case i applied to jobs that were in the suburbs and when I got invited to interviews I know that the resume was good and then started sending it to closer companies.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you are only gauging interest now for a job next year or further out, it makes little sense. The demand and job market will be different at that point in time.
I agree.

As has been said, you can get general salary ranges from the internet. Where your resumé is concerned you can pass it on to qualified friends for their critique. A resumé is a resumé on both sides of the pond and there is no difference between their draw by nationals of either country.

Sending out "test" job applications is simply, in my opinion, a big and fruitless waste of time and energy.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Sending out "test" job applications is simply, in my opinion, a big and fruitless waste of time and energy.
Agreed. You're wasting your own resources as well as the company who is reviewing your resume.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Agreed. You're wasting your own resources as well as the company who is reviewing your resume.

What about when companies interview applicants when the position was already filled? The person then wasted their time and money for travel costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search