Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

I hope I didn't sabotage my chances at finding a new job.
I told a recruitment agent that their job is my prefered position
but I also have a job interview next week.
This recruiter has asked me a lot of questions and has kept in touch with me
regarding what their client, the potential employer, when they might be ready for interviews

I just mentioned the other job interview to show I'm hoping to hear back soon.

At the time it seemed like I was being considerate to the recruiter,
however a friend of mine suggested that I could have blown my opportunity.

I asked my friend what is wrong with it and the friend has no answer.
It's almost like "...If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand..."
But I'm a smart guy, if I saw some logic behind this strategy, I would remember to practice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Don't share your business with anyone. What's done is done. I don't recommend doing that again. If a recruiter attempts to schedule you for an interview and it impinges on another interview just say you have a conflict and propose another date/time.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Your friend is inexperienced.

The employer knows that people don't send out 1 resume at a time for an interview. A high demand applicant will have multiple interviews in the pipeline. You don't have to work in HR to know that.

It also makes salary negotiation easier, because they come out with their best offer or try to match. In my hunt, I had narrowed it down to 2 companies. I informed them that they had to act quickly, because of pending response from the other company. I was looking for a $10k raise. One called back with a $20k raise with NO negotiation from me. I was shocked.

Other company offered on $12-13k more without any negotiation from me. I moved on to the $20k offer and the rest is history.

I had a similiar experience in previous job search with a $12.5k raise offer and a $25k raise offer with NO negotiation. Both companies knew I had interviews lined up with others.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-09-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Ah so what I did is probably not bad,
but it might make me look a bit odd disclosing my business? Hmm...

The non-negotiation angle is interesting. Glad to hear it worked for you move4ward.
I doubt a salary increase will happen in my situation, however I hope I can get a positive reply quicker.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
This is one of those things where it depends on how you say it. If you come off as somebody who is trying to just make the other employer jealous, it will make you sound cocky and thus you could potentially be hurting your chance at employment.

On the other hand sometimes it is necessary for your potential employer to know that you are weighing your options. This helps show your honest and trustworthy and gives your potential employer some insight into your decision making. It is never bad to be honest. If you feel like its necessary to let them know you have other jobs in mind then speak up.

I will share one story I have that is related. When I was getting ready to graduate college I had interviewed with about 5 different companies. 2 of which I was only actually interested. Company A was my main priority and Company B was a backup. Apparently I made the mistake of telling Company B that I was certainly interested in the job if Company A didn't get back to me. This offended the recruiter and she basically kicked me out of the interview. I certainly wont ever be that honest again.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
I have to agree with ChiGuy. I only let them know that other interviews are out there. I never had to disclose the company name or the offer amounts. They just came out with their highest amounts.
I never tell a company that they are the 2nd banana.

It's like telling your wife that she was your 2nd choice, after a prettier girl wouldn't date you.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have to agree with ChiGuy. I only let them know that other interviews are out there. I never had to disclose the company name or the offer amounts. They just came out with their highest amounts.
I never tell a company that they are the 2nd banana.

It's like telling your wife that she was your 2nd choice, after a prettier girl wouldn't date you.
I understand that,
but in my situation I explained to the recruiter that their job is my 1st choice.
The recruiter is just waiting to hear back from the prospective employer and at the moment.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM

231 posts, read 813,960 times
If the employer ask what other companies you are seeking opportunities with, that is a very good sign, they are trying to gauge how quickly they need to move if they were to make a decision t hire. If this is the case i would be honest with them

Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't share your business with anyone. What's done is done. I don't recommend doing that again. If a recruiter attempts to schedule you for an interview and it impinges on another interview just say you have a conflict and propose another date/time.
This is just silly. Not even worth going in to detail as to why.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ah so what I did is probably not bad,
but it might make me look a bit odd disclosing my business? Hmm...

The non-negotiation angle is interesting. Glad to hear it worked for you move4ward.
I doubt a salary increase will happen in my situation, however I hope I can get a positive reply quicker.
Not at all. That is being honest with your recruiter, which they will appreciate as will the company. If they know you are also waiting for another offer, they know if they really want you, they will have to be quick. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the disclosure of where, I am not one to tell that. I don't even usually tell a job that I am leaving where I am going, as I feel that is not their business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search