Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:56 PM

6,794 posts, read 11,442,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah08201991 View Post
I am about to be 23 in 3 days and have lost one of my main front teeth I lost insurance right before I turned 18 and right before that I starting going to a new dentist and had 11 cavities the next appt he filled 2 and told me ur all done come back next year so a couple weeks later I loose my insurance over the first couple yrs I kept moving around to see my father I hadnt seen in over 10 yrs and my teeth got worse but wasnt aproved for insurance in that state then he got married so I moved back home but before I could get insurance I met a guy who im now engaged to we moved out of state shortly after that when my mom got evicted and I couldnt get insurance once agian and spent a yr and a half there whike there one day my mouth started to swell and my teeth hurt so bad I wrnt to the er where they gave me a lecture for not seeing someone I had a very bad infection and awful tasting liquid was pouring from part of my gums they gave me antibiotics and said the infection will reach ur brain in a yr and youll die if u dont get it fixed wr got kicked out of our apt on christmas morning and moved in with my mom a couple months after living here I got phemonia and was hospitalized where they signed me up for healtg insurance but I havent gotta word on being approved yet after the hospital it was a couple months later when I clenched my teeth in middle of the night and my front tooth was fractured and I couldnt eat anymore I went to the dentist and he told me I wanna make for ur insurance to come threw before we do anything so sebt me with penicilin and a pain pill that didndt work a week later ny tooth broke and fell out while I was on the bus comibg back fron applying for jobs anf now I cant even look in the mirror and its hard to eat and im still waiting on my insurance after re applying and now I know I know noone will hire me because why would someone hire someone with missing teeth? But this page gave me hope thank you
That little dot on the keyboard....it’s called a period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 04:45 PM

23,005 posts, read 18,330,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
That little dot on the keyboard....it’s called a period.
Grammar lesson over 6 years too late.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:06 PM

13,093 posts, read 20,796,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvdlr View Post
I am starting over with the clothes on my back, at 60. still attractive, slim 106lb., and fit. My my ex-husband very abusive and controlled my every breath for 15 yrs, broke my front tooth. I found the courage to leave and was in a safe house for 6 months, now in my apt. Even with Covid19 the Zoom interviews I'm so embarrassed, but have zero monies to fix.
I'm not only trying to heal, be independent, self sufficient, finding self-esteem again, now my not having a nice smile to have the job that makes me the happiest people-oriented. I'm intimidated and becoming so introverted.
Your situation isn't uncommon among abuse survivors. My recommendation is to network within an abuse survivor group for information. I know there are dentist that provide service to survivors but they don't advertise (for obvious reasons) what they do. But within a support group network, someone may be able to put you in touch with those resources.

You may also want to inquire with dental schools/universities for potential referrals to low cost services. It's possible they offer or they know who offers low or subsidized services to individuals like yourself. Check with your State for abuse advocates who could also serve as a resource for available services.

On a side note, as an employer, I'm not going to lie and say employers don't always ignore physical issues, because they do take note. However, confidence in yourself and presentation often causes the focus to shift to you as the candidate and away from the physical form we are looking at. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,552,760 times
I am supposed to do a zoom interview next week for a remote job that involves me zooming with clients sometimes. I have 2 missing front teeth that are broken post and crowns and for the past few years I have lived this way due to having poor dental insurance and living paycheck to paycheck. I am seriously considering cancelling the interview or wearing my covid mask. If I could get the job I believe I could eventually afford a flipper on a payment plan. It is very frustrating.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,196,811 times
Employers reject people for the stupidest of reasons.

Ladies, don't wear a diamond ring. You'll be rejected for being "high maintenance"

Don't have an AOL or hotmail email on your resume, you'll be rejected for not being tech savvy.

They look for anything to reject people.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
not going to hire them?
Just saw this one news clip with this one early 50's woman, who, thanks to her UI benefits expiring, is homeless. She actually was dressed normally and didn't look like she was a "bum."
However, she did have missing teeth that you could see if she smiled. Not her immediate front teeth, but none the less. Which for a woman, seems to be even that much more of a deal, as opposed to a man.
I could see if it was for a so called glamour position, like a flight attendant, however, society seems shallow enough, that most employers, even though they won't say it out loud, won't hire people who are missing teeth.
who knows if anyone would even see this since this post was made in 2013 and it’s now 2022. i’ve wondered about this question because first off i’ve had a few root canals. eventually they turned into abscesses. at the time for whatever reason my insurance has misspelled my name and got the wrong birthday. for around 9 months, i have a abscess in my mouth because the dentist wouldn’t except my insurance until the problems were fixed, and i couldn’t afford anything out of pocket i was a 18-19 year old working at 7-11. nonetheless because i had that abscess for so long, i believe it affected the rest of my mouth because i have broken teeth. it’s so depressing to see people smile because i’d like to as well but i don’t really smile smile because i don’t want anyone to see my mouth. i know other people see it when i talk and i’m only 24. no matter how much i tried to keep up on it, my teeth kept breaking and breaking, ultimately breaking a good bit of confidence in me. i have moved to delaware from maryland and recently got insurance and went to the dentist. in delaware , the way insurance goes for dental adults only have $1000 credit a year to get stuff fixed. even with insurance i’d have to pay anywhere between $2,500-$5,000. im
still trying to save up with my fiancé to get a house of our own so this whole thing has just beat me down in a sense. luckily i’ve been in a trade where things like that don’t matter but for a while i wasn’t and i was always afraid of my mouth ruining things for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search