Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,079,276 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting one. Sometimes guts is all it takes at the right time , And it's more surprising given the conservative nature of the financial world in regard to workers and an office environment itself (Nothing to do with the recession or related topic) There have been other out-of-the-box gimmicks used by people that have worked in the past too.

he even used the word "Crap" which was misspelled to boot!

Kid Sends Perfectly Blunt Cover Letter for Wall Street Internship, and Now Tons of People Are Trying to Hire Him - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,084,095 times
People want to hire a kid for a letter that is opinionated and outspoken. Good for him.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,599,362 times
interesting perhaps somethign worth trying for the future, though he did have a prior internship which i am sure helped his appilication

Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,084,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
interesting perhaps somethign worth trying for the future, though he did have a prior internship which i am sure helped his appilication
This story will spawn a flood of copycats. The new people will end up looking like a bunch of fakes trying to pose as a genuine, honest, hard working kid that doesn't fluff up his accomplishments.

Then again, some people will continue exaggerating or lying on their resumes and cover letters. //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...out-lying.html

The honesty thing might work after all.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,797,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This is an interesting one. Sometimes guts is all it takes at the right time , And it's more surprising given the conservative nature of the financial world in regard to workers and an office environment itself (Nothing to do with the recession or related topic) There have been other out-of-the-box gimmicks used by people that have worked in the past too.

Kid Sends Perfectly Blunt Cover Letter for Wall Street Internship, and Now Tons of People Are Trying to Hire Him - Yahoo! Finance

Need to take a page from him

Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM

3,889 posts, read 6,796,729 times
According to your thread title I thought he was literally sending a blunt along with his cover letter. Hopefully I am not the only one to misinterpret.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,797,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
According to your thread title I thought he was literally sending a blunt along with his cover letter. Hopefully I am not the only one to misinterpret.

LOL me too! I reread the title a few times

Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,079,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I just read it again and nearly fell of my chair laughing-You are all right, It does sound like he sent more then a letter.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,999,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

I read this letter before in its ORIGINAL state. The kid already knew the guy that hired him threw his uncle who was a MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL UMPIRE (or someone important in the league, I don't remember). It was already a hookup before he even sent this out.

I doubt other kids without important contacts will get the same response.

Here's the ORIGINAL letter in the link below without the blackouts and a pic of what the ginger looks like:

Matthew Ross: The student 'with no special skills' who sent 'best cover letter ever' to Wall Street bosses (and he didn't tell them he's a three-sport star athlete) | Mail Online

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,486,526 times
Why would they help him progress today, when he will be leaving
and learning more to become one of there competitors ? ? ?

If he would stay with the company it would be different ! ! !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search