Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
PLease see post in which you will find my response. The only thing as issue is how badly Pyramidsurf wants me to be wrong because I refuse to post my Grad School transcripts to prove I really went.

I don't always agree with you on here, but I do agree with you in this thread. If Pyramid wants you to post transcripts, then in all fairness he should post the company he works for so people will know that his company doesn't want those with online degrees.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Since I said that more look down on it then those that don't, I believe that would mean I am stating that some do not. Oh I know, you wanted to comment back saying that to agree with me..

Thank You.

Well good for you

And just because it is not a protected class to not hire those with online degrees, does not mean it is acceptable or right. There are far too many GOOD companies that will hire those with online degrees.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM

74 posts, read 92,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Just like every other UOP graduate you have come up with a way to justify going to an inferior school. Maybe you are not like most UOP graduates(if that even happens) who can't get into real schools but that is the box you get out into. You hear the same facts and data because they are true. You can attempt to talk your way around them but in the end at best you *might* be an exception to the rule. A UOP student who can get into a quality school. Those students rare.
I think you mis-understand the conversation. I am not seeking your approval or validation. I do not know you, your credentials, your GPA, your academic history, or your ability to evaluate academic talent. The only thing I know of you is what you've posted, and in my personal view anyone who uses pejorative extremes (i.e. "useless" "a joke") to express their ideas is mentally lazy. Again, that's just my personal opinion. Again, my position is not to seek your validation (you have assigned yourself that post based on perception). You are merely a sounding board for me to provide a balanced view of the thread topic. You keep repeating the same thing, and that's fine (represent your college ), and I get to relay information based on my personal experience at UoP, and a little more due diligence. I enjoyed it. I did not have any problems. I consumed the material, studied diligently, and appreciated the convenience (which I think many people mistake convenience with ease, which would blow the entire "work from home" concept out of the water - but I digress). If 100 other students had problems there so be it, I am just saying I did not have any negatives (and I too was skeptical of UoP at one time, but that's another posting). I took it seriously and used it for what it was for.

One huge take-away that I got from my experience there is I could not depend on "help" in the same way as traditional university. My major was accounting, which is generally a black-and-white science. There were times when I was forced to understand and solve the material strictly on my own accord. I could not walk across campus and meet with class-mates so we could "group think" the solution. I could not meet with classmates before or after class to "figure it out" together. I could not raise my hand in class numerous times to get more "clarity." I graduated even more assured in my ability for abstract-reasoning. It reminds me of the experience of Ben Carson (the famous neurosurgeon) where he had the dilemma, in medical school, of either maintaining attendance or using better time management to study outside of class for exam. He felt he could understand the material just as well by going through it himself, rather than doubling-up with lecture and study (he just replaced the lecture time for additional study time). You know how he came to that conclusion? - critical thinking. I guess one could consider him "self-taught", but hey, look how it turned out.

I understand your point of view, but I also understand your mentality. It's kind of typical of most traditional college students - at least the ones I've dealt with over the years. One extreme manifestation of that mentality is people who will allow themselves to be paddled on the butt and hazed for "future opportunity." Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Well good for you

And just because it is not a protected class to not hire those with online degrees, does not mean it is acceptable or right. There are far too many GOOD companies that will hire those with online degrees.
It does mean it is acceptable and fair in the eyes of the law.

There are many companies that will hire those with an online degree from a reputable school over UoP. I understand, you want the way you did things to be the "right" way, and those even if they are the majority to be wrong. This way of thinking is an ego thing, and people do not like to have their ego bruised.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think DOL might have something to say about your excluding job applicants based on your personal prejudicial practice.

Not everyone who attends a brick and mortar school can find a job in their field. There are many reasons a person might go back to school and many reasons why online schools are a viable alternative.
Perhaps you should look up what a protected class is.
Quote:
Absolutely right!
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Absolutely wrong. school choice is not a protected class
This.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Well then the same could be said about you. No one wants to work for such a narrow minded jerk that has a personal bias. There are many GREAT companies out there that look at a person's overall achievements and doesn't have a bias against those that choose an online education. No one cares that you wouldn't want them. Heck, they don't want you either

It's not as if your company is the only company in this entire world.
That's good. Then why are people complaining saying I'm narrow minded? There should be employers lining up for UoP and Devry grads.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akil11 View Post
I think you mis-understand the conversation. I am not seeking your approval or validation. I do not know you, your credentials, your GPA, your academic history, or your ability to evaluate academic talent. The only thing I know of you is what you've posted, and in my personal view anyone who uses pejorative extremes (i.e. "useless" "a joke") to express their ideas is mentally lazy. Again, that's just my personal opinion. Again, my position is not to seek your validation (you have assigned yourself that post based on perception). You are merely a sounding board for me to provide a balanced view of the thread topic. You keep repeating the same thing, and that's fine (represent your college ), and I get to relay information based on my personal experience at UoP, and a little more due diligence. I enjoyed it. I did not have any problems. I consumed the material, studied diligently, and appreciated the convenience (which I think many people mistake convenience with ease, which would blow the entire "work from home" concept out of the water - but I digress). If 100 other students had problems there so be it, I am just saying I did not have any negatives (and I too was skeptical of UoP at one time, but that's another posting). I took it seriously and used it for what it was for.

One huge take-away that I got from my experience there is I could not depend on "help" in the same way as traditional university. My major was accounting, which is generally a black-and-white science. There were times when I was forced to understand and solve the material strictly on my own accord. I could not walk across campus and meet with class-mates so we could "group think" the solution. I could not meet with classmates before or after class to "figure it out" together. I could not raise my hand in class numerous times to get more "clarity." I graduated even more assured in my ability for abstract-reasoning. It reminds me of the experience of Ben Carson (the famous neurosurgeon) where he had the dilemma, in medical school, of either maintaining attendance or using better time management to study outside of class for exam. He felt he could understand the material just as well by going through it himself, rather than doubling-up with lecture and study (he just replaced the lecture time for additional study time). You know how he came to that conclusion? - critical thinking. I guess one could consider him "self-taught", but hey, look how it turned out.

I understand your point of view, but I also understand your mentality. It's kind of typical of most traditional college students - at least the ones I've dealt with over the years. One extreme manifestation of that mentality is people who will allow themselves to be paddled on the butt and hazed for "future opportunity." Different strokes for different folks.
Agreed. I am glad you had a good experience at UoP as have many others.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What does life not being fair have anything to do with this? If you cared to be recruited by investment banks you would have gone to one of those schools. It's about choice. Not fairness.
Because people defending UoP seem to want it both ways. They made a choice to attend the school and then cry foul when people look down on it.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Because people defending UoP seem to want it both ways. They made a choice to attend the school and then cry foul when people look down on it.
For the record, that is not my position. I am not crying foul, or whining about job opportunity. There are many threads on "Work and Employment" already engaged in those discussions (with mostly traditional school grads whining and trying to find the best angle in this employer's market). Hey, it's a tough market today and UoP grads are an easy target. My point is that does not necessarily speak to the quality of education, or delivery method - because growth in the on-line format proves its viability. It simply speaks to a means various employers use to screen applicants - within this age of technology. Duly noted.

You or your boss would not hire online grads? - that's your choice (obviously) - but don't make it seem like online grads are going to go and jump off a cliff because of it. Just as you stated various banks did not recruit at your school, and you worked around it, capable UoP grads do the same.

Keep in mind: UoP is the largest private university in the country and graduates thousands of students. Eventually, there will be parity between hiring managers who have gone to traditional university and those who finished from online schools.

Last edited by akil11; 04-20-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Translation: if everyone would just turn their back so the school could go out of business, everything would be okay.

You do not become the largest private school in the country by not doing something right. When I went there, I saw what they were doing right. I say that not to promote the school per se (it can do its own marketing), but to present a balanced discussion based on what I experienced there first-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search