Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM

119 posts, read 410,367 times

Advertisements

Originally, for my current full time job, I lived a full hour away, no public transport available. My employers didn't think much of it, and were even willing to make some adjustments to my schedule.

I could see how some employers may have issues with people with long commutes that depend on public transportation, especially if it's like bus, which tends to be more delayed than airplanes these days. Doubt they'd ask you about your commuting preferences, but you can just tell them you'd make sure to have a back up plan (if you have one), and whether you've been using the public transport for long, so you're aware of some issues with timeliness and how to overcome them, or how to maneuver (like staying in late if the train is late).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
My primary concern about someone who has to rely on public transportation is that in many areas, public transportation isn't a viable option for jobs that have less predictable, standard hours.

What if you need to stay at work until 2 am, on short notice, to deal with an urgent emerging issue, but the last bus comes at 11:45 pm?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Weather is another issue. A 60 mile commute taking 2 hours is now 3-4 on a snow day.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
My primary concern about someone who has to rely on public transportation is that in many areas, public transportation isn't a viable option for jobs that have less predictable, standard hours.

What if you need to stay at work until 2 am, on short notice, to deal with an urgent emerging issue, but the last bus comes at 11:45 pm?
It really depends on the job and the area's transit system.

When I worked in NYC, anytime we were required to work after a certain hour (9:00pm maybe?) the company paid for a car service to take us home. I never bothered but I did let them pick up cab fare to Penn a few times when I could make the next train if I took a cab but wouldn't make it on the subway and would have to wait an hour for the next one.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
I used to go way out looking for jobs,just to expand my prospects...but I've realized the stressful commute is like a job in itself,so I gave up trying to convince employers I can commute far. Though it seems no matter how close I apply,they still seem to want someone who lives like next door

In all my years of working I think the closest I've worked was like a 10 minute drive,and that was a temp job.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
A commute to work should be 30 to 45 mins tops.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I don't think it's that big a concern for most jobs. Obviously if a region's transit system is designed to keep non-poor riders off of it, declaring you intend to use it will work against you. Another reason an employer may ask if yo have a drivers license: They are afraid you lost it for drunk driving, meaning you are likely an alcoholic.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Had a manager turn me down 'cuz it would've been a 45 minute commute. I explained to him that it was closer than my current employer. No deal.

Nowadays I have the 20 mile rule.

Side note:

Worked with a guy that lived FEET from the shop. A five minute walk was his commute. He used to walk home for lunch daily.

He was terminated for attendance issues.

Another case:

Worked with a guy that lived over 50 miles away. In Michigan, no less, where the weather can be a huge factor commute-wise.

I don't think the guy was ever late or absent during the 4 years that I worked with him.
Excellent example ... I live 40+ miles from one job and rely on a complex system involving multiple transfers via mass transit. My colleague who lives maybe 20 minutes away on the other side of town tends to run late often. It all boils down to responsibility. I know my commute via mass transit is complex so I allow cushion time to ensure I make my connections.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
A commute to work should be 30 to 45 mins tops.
In an ideal world, yes. In today's job market reality, you take what you can get. My one-way commute can range between 2.5-3 hrs ONE WAY but I'm there ready to work at 9am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

This is why I work jobs that are traditionally open only during business hours. Only twice was I ever asked to work on a Saturday. The first time, I made the sacrifices to do so but this last run, my supervisor asked other workers as she knew my situation and that I would be willing if I lived closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
Originally, for my current full time job, I lived a full hour away, no public transport available. My employers didn't think much of it, and were even willing to make some adjustments to my schedule.

I could see how some employers may have issues with people with long commutes that depend on public transportation, especially if it's like bus, which tends to be more delayed than airplanes these days. Doubt they'd ask you about your commuting preferences, but you can just tell them you'd make sure to have a back up plan (if you have one), and whether you've been using the public transport for long, so you're aware of some issues with timeliness and how to overcome them, or how to maneuver (like staying in late if the train is late).
Yes .. I agree that transit riders need to realize that delays can and do happen and have a contingency plan in the event of a delay. I once supervised a worker who was frequently late getting to work via mass transit and I worked with her to find a solution as I took it myself and was rarely if ever late.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
In an ideal world, yes. In today's job market reality, you take what you can get. My one-way commute can range between 2.5-3 hrs ONE WAY but I'm there ready to work at 9am.

This is why I work jobs that are traditionally open only during business hours. Only twice was I ever asked to work on a Saturday. The first time, I made the sacrifices to do so but this last run, my supervisor asked other workers as she knew my situation and that I would be willing if I lived closer.

Yes .. I agree that transit riders need to realize that delays can and do happen and have a contingency plan in the event of a delay. I once supervised a worker who was frequently late getting to work via mass transit and I worked with her to find a solution as I took it myself and was rarely if ever late.

Well that sounds awful and I hope you find something closer to home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search