Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM

50 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

Last Wednesday, I interviewed for a Staff Accountant role at a large company. It seemed to go really well. I met with the assistant controller. He spent about an hour and forty minutes with me, which is a very long time, and he told me my experience matches spot on what he is looking for, and also said he had a couple more candidates still to go, but he said he honestly thought I was at the top. He then said he wanted to to have it wrapped up in the next couple weeks. I left, and the headhunter this is through emailed me later and said she got really good feedback. It has now been six days, and I haven't heard anything. I know six days isn't that long in the corporate world, but it is like torture waiting. When I left, he gave me his card, and said, "If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to call me." If this was on my own, I would call him to follow up tomorrow, a week after the interview. I mean just one call to say, "I just wanted you to know I am still very interested in the position." At least that will show him I am interested. Is it OK to do this if it is through a recruiter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Reflect on the interview. Was there a leading question that was left unanswered? Review your questions and answers so that they are all fresh, THEN give the quick call.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM

141 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
Last Wednesday, I interviewed for a Staff Accountant role at a large company. It seemed to go really well. I met with the assistant controller. He spent about an hour and forty minutes with me, which is a very long time, and he told me my experience matches spot on what he is looking for, and also said he had a couple more candidates still to go, but he said he honestly thought I was at the top. He then said he wanted to to have it wrapped up in the next couple weeks. I left, and the headhunter this is through emailed me later and said she got really good feedback. It has now been six days, and I haven't heard anything. I know six days isn't that long in the corporate world, but it is like torture waiting. When I left, he gave me his card, and said, "If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to call me." If this was on my own, I would call him to follow up tomorrow, a week after the interview. I mean just one call to say, "I just wanted you to know I am still very interested in the position." At least that will show him I am interested. Is it OK to do this if it is through a recruiter?

Outdated practice.

It's either you get pulled in from a contact or you keep sending out resumes.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM

50 posts, read 89,758 times
I'm sorry. I don't follow. What do you mean outdated practice?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Too early, they're probably still interviewing. Give it until next Monday at the least, and really should wait until 10 business days.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
OP, you said in your first post he said wanted it wrapped up in the next couple of weeks, it has been less than a week.

I understand you want an answer and I'm not against calling, but if you do it before the time they mentioned you run the risk of annoying them( because they gave you a time frame) and it looks like you don't listen.

JMO, but if call before the time frame he gave you, you could blow your chances.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Mail a very nice, handwritten note thanking him for the interview and expressing your continued interest in the position. This used to be a standard courtesy but since almost no one does it anymore, it will really make you stand out.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Mail a very nice, handwritten note thanking him for the interview and expressing your continued interest in the position. This used to be a standard courtesy but since almost no one does it anymore, it will really make you stand out.
Sure, but he's not going to hire her just because the OP sent a hand-written note! Nobody checks their snail mail boxes at work nowadays... ...if the OP wants to be noticed, he/she should send a nicely worded email instead.

OP: As for calling, you should call only after the time frame they provided you. Your eagerness can be seen as inability to listen and follow instructions or impatience... ...both of which can have a negative impact on your chances.

Good luck! I hope you get the job!!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,785 times
Hi, I would like to commite on what you said, I don't think it up to the assistant manager, maybe he gave the number because he like you if your a female, it basicly up to the manager.think about it what could you possible have to ask him

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
Yes it's fine. And your timeframe is good too. It shows interest, but not desperation. And 6 or 7 days after the interview, your follow up will remind him of how well things went, and he will keep it mind during the next week as he wraps up remaining interviews.

Give him the call tomorrow, express your desire and interest, leave it on a positive, upbeat note, and then wait until the end of the next week. At that time, call the recruiter and see what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search