Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM

112 posts, read 287,866 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this nonsense? I had the misfortune only once. It was for some Japanese language school which I think is out of business now. Actually, that word association thing was just one part of a degrading interview. "Act like a chicken" was actually part of the interview. They were weeding out people who still have some dignity and self-respect, I guess. But this word-association thing seemed particularly inappropriate. I'm here for a job interview not to take part in some pseudo-psychological experiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I'm sure the HR have some sort of faulty broken logic to explain how it is a relevant and useful selection mechanism.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
Anyone see this nonsense? I had the misfortune only once. It was for some Japanese language school which I think is out of business now. Actually, that word association thing was just one part of a degrading interview. "Act like a chicken" was actually part of the interview. They were weeding out people who still have some dignity and self-respect, I guess. But this word-association thing seemed particularly inappropriate. I'm here for a job interview not to take part in some pseudo-psychological experiment.
Funny. I doubt they had ever seen a chicken. A valid response would be to just caulk* your head a little to one side and stare at them. If they didn't like it, I would ask for them to demonstrate the proper method of acting like a chicken. Then I might just lie down on the floor, pull my legs up, and lie perfectly silent. That is the position of most chickens in a supermarket.

*stupid bad word filter won't let me describe a male chicken or a common term for an offset.

Word association games are fun if you ALWAYS use the same answer.

"Sunrise"

"Sex"

"Bear"

"Sex"

"President"

"Sex"

"Watermelon"

"Sex"

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Sounds like a good time to get up and walk out.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Sounds like a good time to get up and walk out.
Well, clearly. But I really needed a job and it would have been cool to be able to move to Japan. I didn't get the job, though. And that company is out of business now.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I think it is also valid to note that it was a Japanese company. I do not know about the hiring process there, but I wonder if that is a normal part of the hiring process in Japanese companies? Cultural differences and norms can often create issues as people feel that something is weird and suspect but it is normal in the other culture...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM

No, it was a Japanese company but they had a branch in London which is where I was and the woman doing the interview was a white English woman. I've had many interviews in England and the US and fortunately this was the only time when word association was brought out. I'd imagine that this sort of crap wouldn't go on in Japan, but who knows?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM

136 posts, read 239,261 times
Act like a chicken = can you take direction? Or "Cluck"

Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I think it is also valid to note that it was a Japanese company. I do not know about the hiring process there, but I wonder if that is a normal part of the hiring process in Japanese companies? Cultural differences and norms can often create issues as people feel that something is weird and suspect but it is normal in the other culture...
Yeah, many companies do unique (and very odd) things within different cultures.

For example, in Argentina using the Rorscach ink blot test is extremely common. Also, another one I found very odd was almost every company uses an assessment that they call "Draw a Person in the Rain", where they ask the candidate to draw a person in the rain. Apparently it is supposed to assess how people work under stress.

Most likely, extremely cultural. Japanese companies have a very huge power-distance culture. You are typically not allowed to question authority, etc. That may have been a culture fit assessment. Is it odd, yes.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
No, I haven't. If the "scenarios" are not something "work related" and stupid like what you just mentioned, I will kindly get up and say "Thank you, but I don't think I'm the right fit for this position" and walk right the hell out.

Life is too short for that crap. It really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search