Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis74 View Post
Can you tell me where all you applied online? My husband is totally skeptical about finding a job without living in an area and refuses to move without having a job. He is looking for an accounting position with some decent benefits. He just graduated, he is 49 and this is his 2nd career in his life. We have found a lot of people don't want to hire him because of his age.

I can't say as I blame him. At the same time, prospects are slim here in Colorado.

We would really like to get to Austin/San Antonio area to live. I think it would be much easier on my asthma as well as my joints. The high altitude where I am kills my lungs.
Try indeed.com. With a new accounting degree and an IT background, your husband should probably contact professional recruiters in the new area, too. Search on line for a list of banks, accounting firms, and other potential employers in your selected area and then check out their websites to see if they have a "jobs" tab/link.

Have a good resume that high lights your experience (do not leave off dates) ready to go. Have a list of references whom potential employers can actually reach. Employers are looking for employees that have stayed in positions for several years rather than hopping from job to job. Write a good cover letter than explains, in positive terms, why you are looking to change careers and/or relocate.

If I were your husband, I would definitely push the accounting/IT angle and how that makes him better than a run-of-the-mill recent accounting grad. What skills did he develop while working in IT that are applicable in accounting? Managing projects? Working with clients? Working as a team member? Adapting to new technology?

Could it be that your husband isn't willing to start at/near the bottom in accounting in terms of salary, or more likely, that employers think he won't be willing to work for the best starting salary they can offer? Making it clear that you are willing to negotiate on salary could be the key to getting a job.

I don't buy the idea that it's somehow "better" to be living in the state where you're looking for a job because if you're looking for a job in Houston, TX and you live in El Paso, you're further away from Houston than if you were living in New Orleans or Little Rock!

The only thing that being local gives you is that you can respond more quickly to interview requests. If you're in a non-professional job, being local is probably an advantage. However, for professional positions, like accounting, I don't think it matters all that much if you have the skills and experience to attract employers' notice. Many employers do phone interviews first even if you're local, and if they like your qualifications and presentation, but if you're several hundred miles away, they may fly you in or do an interview via SKYPE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Almost a year- wonder if OP made the move.

Hope they did and it was great!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 36,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Go for it!!! I moved to a small town of 3500 people and found a job within a month. After working there for two months landed a better job. Moving was the best thing I ever did and there are no regrets. Good luck...get in the car and dont look back!!!! Woohoo!!!!
I agree here! Moving is great and people should not be afraid. Especially, young and ready to work. No matter your qualifications, you have to be confident and positive. You have to be ready to learn new skills and work hard. Also, finding a job in smaller town could be easier. Not always, but it is quite possible. Moreover, if you are fed up with living in the big city, then a smaller town is for you. I moved from Chicago to Sacramento, staying with family though, and working from home. It was nice but at some point I was bored and I missed friends and the big city. I am exploring California in general, and I thought I can work from Los Anegels, as my company is registered there, but I really can't. I'd much rather live in a small town. Now I am planning on moving to the East coast. I think that's my place. Anyway, good luck with moving. Don't be afraid.
As I said I work from home, writing mostly, check out some of my latest stuff on moving especially
Moving Tips Archives - Corsia Logistics

Thanks!
Vassi A.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,771 times
My brothers gf got a nursing job in another state then they moved. It's working out great for them. Me, an unskilled, no college degree blue collar unemployed guy, would be living on the street if I moved out of state. Nobody wants to hire people like me with no edumacation.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
In 2006 my family (husband and 2 kids) moved from NJ to SC with no jobs and no place to live other than a 3-month rental apartment. The only way we were able to do it was that we made a HUGE profit on the sale of our NJ house and had a lot of $$ in the bank. I interviewed for a few jobs the week we arrived (a couple set up by recruiters and one set up before we arrived in town) and accepted a job offer - started the following Monday before we had even finished settling into our short-term apartment rental!

It can be done, but I would only advise it if there is cash in the bank to help supplement the amount of time that might be needed to find gainful employment AND a place to live that is more permanent (we ended up finding and closing on a house just before our 3-month rental concluded).

Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM

719 posts, read 987,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieACC View Post
I have been reading a few of the other posts in this forum, and it seems that there have been a number of people who have commented about their success in just getting up and moving. However, I have not seen any specific details about how they were able to find a job once they got to their destination. I would really like to leave my current city for a warmer climate, but my biggest concern is finding a job once i move.

I am 24 years old and live in Michigan, but I would really like to move somewhere south because I would much rather have to deal with a hot summer than the cold winters that we have here. I haven't researched any place specifically(I will definitely do some research and travel to the place once I decided on it) but I'm thinking possibly Florida or Texas). I've done some research and from what I've heard it is a lot harder to get a job when you live out of state, than it would be if you moved to that place first and then interviewed. I have an accounting degree from Michigan State, and have worked as a Staff Accountant for almost two years since graduating. I was thinking that based on my qualifications it wouldn't take me that long to find a new job, but that is really why I'm making this post (I don't want to move somewhere south and after six months realize I still don't have a job).

I have enough saved up and I'm pretty sure I could get by for at least three months with no income, but believe I could find some kind of work to help me stay for at least 6 months. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and been able to find a job in there field pretty quickly? Or am I wrong in assuming that I won't find a job online because I'm looking out of state?
We relocated to Seattle about a year and a half ago working under the 'you really have to move to find work' premise. I was able to find a job relatively quickly (I am a nanny -- there are jobs in any major city), but my husband has been out of work for anything major since we relocated. He's applied to so many positions that he was overqualified for and never heard anything that we've come to believe it has something to do with his degrees (he got his BA and MA both back east). It may just be that this place is too flooded with qualified, local graduates for him to find work.

I dunno. I'm not by any means trying to dissuade you from moving, because if you want to go some place, you often need to make the leap and then find work. Ten years ago, it was easy to find a job and move cross country, but the world feels like it has taken a gigantic leap backwards in that regard.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
We relocated to Seattle about a year and a half ago working under the 'you really have to move to find work' premise. I was able to find a job relatively quickly (I am a nanny -- there are jobs in any major city), but my husband has been out of work for anything major since we relocated. He's applied to so many positions that he was overqualified for and never heard anything that we've come to believe it has something to do with his degrees (he got his BA and MA both back east). It may just be that this place is too flooded with qualified, local graduates for him to find work.

I dunno. I'm not by any means trying to dissuade you from moving, because if you want to go some place, you often need to make the leap and then find work. Ten years ago, it was easy to find a job and move cross country, but the world feels like it has taken a gigantic leap backwards in that regard.
I relocated here from the east coast 3 years ago. The best advice I can give anyone is the obvious...

Don't move anywhere without a job lined up. The economy here is better than most parts of the country... But I still wouldn't have moved without a job lined up.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
However, for professional positions, like accounting, I don't think it matters all that much if you have the skills and experience to attract employers' notice.
I disagree completely. Accounting graduates are very plentiful and an employer isn't going to waste time trying to hire someone not local when local talent is aboundant. I'm sure there are exceptions that people will post about "a friend of my cousin's" but just because a few people got lucky, that doesn't make it the norm.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
Hello!

I'm curious as to what happened since your last post. I left Oregon 10 months ago, left the country, and now I'm back and eager to find a job on the EAST coast. I'm staying with a friend in the Northeast and am wanting to move to FL. Was trying to do the "safe" thing, but according to posts in this forum, I should bite the bullet and move.

How'd it work out for you?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM

159 posts, read 339,157 times
I'm glad to see all the positive posts about relocating.

I want to relocate to my home city so that I can be in a better position to secure employment in a city I like.I have no kids, and would be able to live rent free.

I'd love to hear more stories about people relocating not because of a job offer. For those who say don't do it, I wish you could share your experience and why it hadn't worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search