Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
If one wants people to "mind their business" perhaps one should refrain from posting their businsess on public forums on the Internet. Wouldn't you agree?

Since the OP posted her dilemma here and asked for opinions, why do others posting their opinions offend you so?
Guilty conscience perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 200,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
You are stressing over a job in which you stayed only 2 days? Are you serious? Are you for real? So you lied on an application. You don't think employers lie in their job ads, at interviews and after you are hired and start doing your job? You don't think they'll lie when they lay you off or fire you? When they don't give you a raise, demote you or choose not to promote you, do you think they will "tell the truth"? Next time, put exactly the same thing that you have on your resume, on your application. Did you think if your resume didn't match your application these recession-spoiled, picky employers weren't going to notice it?
I felt bad about not being 100% honest. I'm happy I didn't "come clean" as some people here said I should. I did see that immediately they put up a new ad for the position. The benefits and pay are what really attracted me to the position. The hours were not ideal though. I would have had to work a 12:00 to 8:30 pm shift after training. So another part of me is relieved.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
I'm surprised that no one at the company has contacted me yet. I sent an email to Human Resources and my manager. I also left a phone message.
I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps they already had figured out you had lied and now you've spared them the unpleasant task of addressing it. My guess, if they feel the need to communicate with you at all, is they'll send you some sort of letter.

I feel sorry for the situation you're in, I think you've learned a hard lesson, and I'm glad you didn't compound the matter with a phony W-2. If your now ex-employer was still suspicious, that would have been very easy for them to verify with the EIN number.

Move on, realize you made a huge mistake, don't beat yourself up about it too badly, brush yourself off and resume your job search. Hopefully it goes without saying that you should not list this last employer on your resume. Of greater concern, however, is how you handle future job applications when you get a new offer. If you include this employer you'll have to explain why you only worked there a day or so. The obvious answer is to try to explain that after you started you discovered the job wasn't a good fit so you resigned. Not great, but at least its an explanation. If you omit the employer, you run the risk that another background check will uncover them. I think the latter is highly unlikely unless you are applying for a government job. I'm not sure how to advise you on this one, other than to tell you that if you should ever apply for a government job do not lie on any of the forms. You could be prosecuted (perhaps unlikely but I wouldn't risk it). For any other jobs, I'd say don't mention this and if it does come up in a future background check (again I don't think that's likely for a private sector job) deal with it then.

You're in a tough spot, but I'm sure you'll be OK. Good luck with the job search.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM

38 posts, read 200,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps they already had figured out you had lied and now you've spared them the unpleasant task of addressing it. My guess, if they feel the need to communicate with you at all, is they'll send you some sort of letter.

I feel sorry for the situation you're in, I think you've learned a hard lesson, and I'm glad you didn't compound the matter with a phony W-2. If your now ex-employer was still suspicious, that would have been very easy for them to verify with the EIN number.

Move on, realize you made a huge mistake, don't beat yourself up about it too badly, brush yourself off and resume your job search. Hopefully it goes without saying that you should not list this last employer on your resume. Of greater concern, however, is how you handle future job applications when you get a new offer. If you include this employer you'll have to explain why you only worked there a day or so. The obvious answer is to try to explain that after you started you discovered the job wasn't a good fit so you resigned. Not great, but at least its an explanation. If you omit the employer, you run the risk that another background check will uncover them. I think the latter is highly unlikely unless you are applying for a government job. I'm not sure how to advise you on this one, other than to tell you that if you should ever apply for a government job do not lie on any of the forms. You could be prosecuted (perhaps unlikely but I wouldn't risk it). For any other jobs, I'd say don't mention this and if it does come up in a future background check (again I don't think that's likely for a private sector job) deal with it then.

You're in a tough spot, but I'm sure you'll be OK. Good luck with the job search.

Thanks. I agree I made a mistake. Some people act like I commited murder, lol. But yes I'm going to move on from it and continue my search.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
I felt bad about not being 100% honest. I'm happy I didn't "come clean" as some people here said I should. I did see that immediately they put up a new ad for the position. The benefits and pay are what really attracted me to the position. The hours were not ideal though. I would have had to work a 12:00 to 8:30 pm shift after training. So another part of me is relieved.

It never happened. Forget about it. Come clean? About what, about lying on an application? You want to "come clean," take a bath. Don't listen to some of these _____ on here. They're as smart as a sack of bricks. Do what you need to do to get a job. That's the kind of world we're living in now. We're not standing in front of Moses waving his 10 commandments. Moses isn't paying your rent, nor the holyrollers and moral crusaders on here. YOU gotta pay your rent. Do what needs to be done.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Mystique13 is sure working hard to convince herself lying is acceptable; and put down those preferring honesty. In my experience anything that needs that much over justification is best avoided.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
OP, even though this sucks right now, it's better that it ended after the first day. Just because you got the job doesn't mean your information would never be checked again. I shared this story before on a thread about lying on resumes, I'll share it again:

At a place I used to work, a girl worked there for three years, had moved up, was doing well, well liked, and was asked to come on board to a prestigious position that many coveted and many could not get. She was perfect for the position and would have done exceptionally well, I believe.

But...

Even though it had been three years since she had started working there, with this prestigious position, in the same company, they pulled up her information again.

And found out that she had lied. Just like you.

And she not only lost the opportunity for the prestigious position, (it really was), she lost her job altogether. "It wasn't a good fit", wasn't going to work for her. They would have known what she did because while this company was decent sized, it was in a niche that had close ties with all other competing brands. She lost out of that industry altogether because of lying.

You would have had to sweat it out every single day that you worked there, even for years, wondering when they were going to find out.

It's never a good idea to lie about that stuff...despite what some people on here think. But who cares what they think, they'll get theirs at some point.

The fact that you realize what you did was wrong, even before you got the job, (I read your other post), and you are humiliated and ashamed is a GOOD thing. It means you won't do it again, you have learned from this. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.

The good news is, you were only there for a day, you don't even have to put that company down. You weren't "officially" employed, you were in training and your background check had not come through. You received no benefits of any kind. It was a single day.

Just beware that while YOU may never see THEM again, you don't know who THEY know!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, what's "pathetic" is the employer having the BALLS to dare ask for it.

What do they need it for? They "claim" it's to verify what your last salary was? Why?

What difference does it make what my last salary was when you ALREADY have a figure in mind to pay me and I told you what I wanted??

For ME, I don't feel like going through the trouble of all of that, but I have no problem with others taking the time to.

My W2s are NONE OF MY NEW EMPLOYER'S BUSINESS.
Ummm...OP was already working. Salary has already been determined. HR is asking for a W2 because it solves the issue, IMMEDIATELY, of not being able to verify an employer. If you have a W2, you worked there...sheesh.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Ummm...OP was already working. Salary has already been determined. HR is asking for a W2 because it solves the issue, IMMEDIATELY, of not being able to verify an employer. If you have a W2, you worked there...sheesh.
And you wonder why these people have to resort to lying to get a job....

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
One thing that I noticed (along w/Marilyn) was that technically the background check wasn't completed before you started work. That's never happened to me and we don't do that (current employer).

I've had some minor details that were incorrect with my background checks but they were easily explained and quite meaningless anyway. E.g., I worked a temp to hire for a major corporation and included my temp tenure on my resume/application.

Of course, my temp time wasn't included in the official company records. No HR person ever wanted that stuff verified. It was no big deal as it was easily explained BY ME.

Here's what ticks me off about this deal:

Some HR person with nothing better to do than stroke her/his own ego in another state/city decides to look important for a change, thereby screwing a perfectly capable gal out of a job. I've been in the corporate world for a long time and I can tell y'all that many of these gerbils in cubicle farms have side stepped the integrity thing more times than we can count.
Not all thatuncommon to hire someone and make the offer contingent upon an acceptable result on the background check.

Many are also missing the point that no one in HR or the company did anything extraordinary here. The OP lied. The background check was not able to verify a position. The company took their normal steps when this happens. The difference is, if the person is telling the truth, they are able to explain what happened. Oh, and the W2 is part of it because the background company has already tried to verify OP's employment with the company...via name, DOB, and SS#...and the company has no record of OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search