Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
"The corporations are out to get us MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. Profit making is evil MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. Capitalism is exploitation MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. Companies should pay us more and forgo profits MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. The rich are evil MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"
All of the companies I mentioned are the reasons why this WORLD (not just America) is on the verge of financial doom.

I see you didn't address it, but then again, I didn't expect you to.

Last edited by marilyn220; 02-14-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, you lied about something that could be VERIFIED.

I still advocate lying. Just cover your bases and make sure to have fake W2s or whatever other nonsense handy.

You don't owe these companies anything, except your time.

I totally disagree. You owe your employer an HONEST days work and a worker that can be trusted.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
The OP seems like a decent person that has already learned from her mistake. She'll be better for it.

Those vehemently promoting lying: Yes. Corporations lie. Some of them lie a lot. They are made up of people, and have the same complexion as their leaders. No need to race down to their level, and no need to work at the wrorst offenders. I've left employers for this reason.

I'm glad I don't have to work with those endorsing lying. We all know what happens when you build your castle on a foundation of sand. People willing to bend their morals in one area of life usually are flexible in other areas of life, too. Not who I want to be, or be associated with.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
All of the companies I mentioned are the reasons why this WORLD (not just America) is on the verge of financial doom.

I see you didn't address it, but then again, I didn't expect you to.
No, the financial system is on the precipice of doom because governments have spent more than they could afford on people who believe they deserve more than they are worth.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I totally disagree. You owe your employer an HONEST days work and a worker that can be trusted.
You owe a company a good job once hired. Since companies seem utterly incapable of instituing a logical, functional, and on topic hiring process you are going to need to learn how to play games in order to get hired and have that chance. The hiring process has become a cross between a Circus and the Spanish Inquisition, it does not operate in a logical manner nor select for the best qualified candidate as I've seen again and agian. It is conducted by people who inject faulty logic, superstitions, prejudices, stereotypes, and cronyism and oftentimes the only way to deal with it is to spin, fake, and even lie.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
I'm too ashamed after lying. And they are just going to fire me anyway. I got word they are extremely strict. I would rather salvage what dignity I have left and quit. I thought about being honest but then I worry if I "admit" it I can get in worse trouble.

If they find that you lied regardless especially if you don't come clean and they find out on their own, you will be in worse trouble.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
What's really sad is that you are constantly trying to justify that lying is just fine. Great lesson to be teaching. (Reminds me of students I have had who justified cheating because "those other students cheated," and they wanted to go to grad school so of course they HAD to cheat, etc. etc. etc.)

... or the students who were going to be doctors that lobby their undergrad professors to change their grade in a class to maintain a GPA to get accepted into med school while everyone else must accept the grade that they actually earned based on their effort.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You owe a company a good job once hired. Since companies seem utterly incapable of instituing a logical, functional, and on topic hiring process you are going to need to learn how to play games in order to get hired and have that chance. The hiring process has become a cross between a Circus and the Spanish Inquisition, it does not operate in a logical manner nor select for the best qualified candidate as I've seen again and agian. It is conducted by people who inject faulty logic, superstitions, prejudices, stereotypes, and cronyism and oftentimes the only way to deal with it is to spin, fake, and even lie.
I disagree. I have never applied to a job that I was not qualified to do and I have never put anything on my resume that cannot be verified. I refuse to even "embellish" my skills or "puff up" my role at those companies. I work in the IT field where people constantly put fake responsibilities or projects that they completed to get a better paying opportunity.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM

76 posts, read 137,676 times
You can lie all you want, just don't get caught.

Politicians, lawyers and used car salesmen do it *all* the time.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFiveTwo View Post
Politicians, lawyers and used car salesmen do it *all* the time.

And who wouldnt want to be lumped into those groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search