Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Which begs the question of why people need to lie to get jobs they're clearly more than capable of doing. I think this says as much about HR departments as it does about lying to get a job.
Exactly. The process has become so dysfunctional that one has to do what they need to do to get through the HR bs.

It reminds me back when I moved to a new state with my late father's old beater car. The DMV wanted me to get a lawyer and some official sealed letter of testamentary to register it. Instead I just forged his signiture. Problem solved.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 02-19-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Yeah, maybe it's not the employers with the problem.

13+ jobs?
There are a lot more "bad" jobs than good, trust me.

Wanna talk about disenheartening?

Quit a "bad" job only to find out that the new one is worse.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Given the fact I'm thriving and getting raises even while temp agencies and others are constantly callling me/posting ads for the same positions at the same companies I doubt it. A lot of companies just don't deserve skilled hard working employees and they don't get them or keep them for long.

I've left a few dysfunctional employers since I moved to the Valley of the Sun in 2004. While no job is perfect, I've "settled" and settled in. The Much Lesser of Many Evils, so to speak.

It's actually tolerable.

I will gladly refer to anyone that calls me a "Job Hopper" to the constant almost monthly ads my previous employers pay to put in the paper, Careerbuilder, Craig's List, etc. And it's not like they're expanding. No new additions or bigger buildings in another part of town.

I've hopped and benefited because of it.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,566,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
I'm ok with the fact that I quit. Its been quite a relief. I have told my boyfriend and my parents the truth of the situation. Even though I'm old enough to not have to explain myself, I wanted to be honest. My boyfriend is very good to me and I wanted him to know everything. He was very supportive and I'm very fortunate to have him by my side.

I actually have an interview scheduled for Tuesday.

This job that I lied to get, was requiring me to work hours I didn't really want to work once training was done. It worked out for the best.
Sienna, you've done a great thing, by creating this thread and reaching out for help, and by coming clean with your family. Not at all easy to do. You made a mistake early in your career and I'm SO glad you're not compounding it by going further with more mistakes (fakes W2's etc.). Now the slate is clean again and you can re-start your job hunt with a clean conscience.

Very best wishes to you and your career -- hope the interview goes well!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,919,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Exactly. The process has become so dysfunctional that one has to do what they need to do to get through the HR bs.

It reminds me back when I moved to a new state with my late father's old beater car. The DMV wanted me to get a lawyer and some official sealed letter of testamentary to register it. Instead I just forged his signiture. Problem solved.
Lying to the government is different. We all have a patriotic duty as Americans to lie to the government whenever we can.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM

763 posts, read 2,601,252 times
Although "fluffing up" job duties from past employers on a resume is extremely common and pretty much the norm, putting a job on your resume or application that you've NEVER had is a disastrous thing to do. I realize people do things out of desperation, and I've been there, done that, but I've never put a job on my resume that I've never held. Things like that are WAY too easy to verify and applying to a large company, or even a semi-large company who either has staff to check references or outsources that task, it will be discovered, just as you found out.

Live and learn from this mistake and realize that you'll go on to find another job, but hopefully will have learned that "fluffing up" is one thing....."fabrication" is totally another.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,441,432 times
I would call the employer and tell them I quit since I found a better job...

Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM

254 posts, read 596,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
Well I had a thread hear earlier based on a lie I told on an application and asking what background checks show. The company I interviewed with 4 times gave me an offer last week and told me background check had to be completed by Friday before I could start. Well they had me start Monday so I assumed the background info came back fine. Then today I get a call from HR (corporate is in another state) saying they couldnt verify some of the information. They said they want a W2 and of course I don't have one. So I told her I would call her back with the info.

I don't know if my manager was told or not yet. But I left work at 2 since I'm only training and the days are shorted until I'm fullly trained. So I thought about coming clean and telling the truth but I figure that may hurt me even more so I'm just going to quit and say its not a good fit. I'm super embarrassed and ashamed. So the bottom line is dont lie.

I got so desperate being out of work..I thought I was bettering my life after a past of being a screw up. But I just made it worse.

What is it in your past you are afraid will come to light? Were you fired? So what. If you have a criminal record, they will find out with your social security number not a W-2. The W-2 is proof you were working at some job somewhere. Do you have an old paycheck? Use that.
If you lied about being on a job, they will find out anyways. You should never lie about working some place you never did.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM

763 posts, read 2,601,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
There are a lot more "bad" jobs than good, trust me.

Wanna talk about disenheartening?

Quit a "bad" job only to find out that the new one is worse.
Been there, done that...... Probably the biggest mistake I've ever made regarding a job.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
Am I the only person who never thought she had a "bad job" in 45 years of employment? In retrospect, I'm sure some of my past jobs would be condemned here, for terrible bosses/conditions/salaries, but I was always just glad to have a steady job, be bringing home a paycheck and feel part of something larger than myself.

I always got along fine with my bosses. Many of them were harsh/weird/tyranical, but they apparently liked the fact that I was a hard worker and took courses (on my own time and at my own expense) to make myself more valuable to them. I never minded the conditions, some of which would not be allowed today by OSHA or any other agency. And I never complained that some companies may have taken advantage of the fact that I desperately needed a job to pay me a meager salary for 50-60 hours/week office work: for example, $200/month gross as an oil&gas supervisor in 1969.

I never left a job except when I had to move to another state and when, in the 1980's, every company (8 of them) for which I worked either went bankrupt or was bought out and all the employees were laid off.

I'm sure that some of you will deride my attitude but, in the end, it almost always paid off. I always had great references and, in some cases, I was given bonuses on my last day of work (imagine that). And those great references got me my last job at a truly wonderful company, where I worked for 20 years before retiring last year.

So laugh if you will and make snide remarks about how companies are always out to cheat their employees. My work experience has been the opposite: that companies, even large ones, usually recognize great attitude, great drive and great work ethic. And, with the companies that didnt appreciate my dedication, at least I was able to walk out the door every night knowing that I'd given my absolute best that day and that no one could have done a better job. That meant more to me than any acclaim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search