Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM

511 posts, read 2,451,503 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine, who is 53 years old, who worked in an executive position lost his job in 2009. His salary was close to 100,000 and because their were so few jobs in Knoxville TN that paid that type of money, he was overqualified for nearly every open job. Employers did not want to touch him for jobs that paid less than what he was making because they assumed that after he was hired he would keep looking for jobs that paid more.

Eventually it got so bad and he rain out of money. He went over to every shopping center in town and applied for retail jobs, but was always turned down. He was too old and educated for those jobs. The ex executive is at wits end.

Anyone have a similar story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
A friend of mine, who is 53 years old, who worked in an executive position lost his job in 2009. His salary was close to 100,000 and because their were so few jobs in Knoxville TN that paid that type of money, he was overqualified for nearly every open job. Employers did not want to touch him for jobs that paid less than what he was making because they assumed that after he was hired he would keep looking for jobs that paid more.

Eventually it got so bad and he rain out of money. He went over to every shopping center in town and applied for retail jobs, but was always turned down. He was too old and educated for those jobs. The ex executive is at wits end.

I don't personally, but I think that he's going to have to consider work outside his immediate geographical area. I don't know if he's a homeowner, and I would iamgine that selling right now might be difficult, but perhaps he could rent out his place if he found work elsewhere..

If he can't leave very easily, he might have to write convincing cover letters that would convey his attachment to the area, and to a prospective employer. In other words, he wouldn't be so prone to jump from job to job in the near future, and instead he would concentrate on the work in front of him, without automatically looking for greener pastures once he got established..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
I knew a 40 something woman who used to frequent the local bar. She was like a character from The Simpsons who was always present in Moe's bar. She was a highly functioning uber alcoholic who worked a six-figure prestigious job at the local headquarters for Microsoft in downtown DC. She had a reputation for being very promiscuous with random bar patrons and I was surprised she had never crashed her car or gotten a single DUI even though she easily polished off at least two whole bottles of wine everyday at the local watering hole and drove back and forth daily. When she had that good job, she had an air of extreme arrogance and entitlement about her. She was used to the "Hollywood for Ugly People" crowd in DC who bragged about their masters degrees and Ivy League educations and where they lived and how little they worked at their dressed-up union protected federal jobs. She was laid off earlier this year and chose to move with her 15 year old daughter to North Carolina, where she had grown up, to live in a tiny home in a very secluded rural area with her childhood friend she had known since the fifth grade. I am aware that the demand for high paid highly skilled workers and highly educated seat warmers is much less in demand in the Carolinas than it is in DC where being an over-paid, self-important, over-educated professional internet surfer is a way of life and a legit occupation.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 10-07-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I've seen obviously laid-off middle managers at the local sub shop and convenience store. It's poignant to see them as flustered as any new employee about where something is, how the cash register works- you can see in their faces that this is a hard change.
But the two men I'm thinking of, neither stayed long. Don't know what happened.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
It amazes me that after 3 whole years, these people who we're making 6 figures have been wiped out. What utter irresponsibility and arrogance... Yea, cause in capitalism, the train never stops...

If people would only pick up a history book once in awhile

Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
When it comes to those low wage jobs, the fact is that a former executive that hasn't done that kind of work before is not likely to get hired over the many people applying that have been doing it. Experience managing a company does not prepare one for wrapping burgers, ringing up
clothes or hardware. Have you seen that TV show Undercover Boss, where the CEO goes undercover to do routine work? None can handle it.

Somewhere there may be a company looking for the exact skillset that he has, it's going to take time to find it. I recently hired a 53 year old who has worked out great, and with 85 applicants was head and shoulders above the rest. It was a $60,000 job and this person had made more before but was able to convince me in the interview that is was an exciting opportunity.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
That's my story too. A 75% pay cut wakes you up real fast. I have learned a lot through this whole experience and it has changed me. In the end I learned I can be competent in the lower echelons of employment too, but it's a lot more work than I thought it was. Amazing how hard they expect you to work for less than subsistence wages.

Honestly, I work harder for $10 per hour than I did for $40. Hard to believe, but true.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:

I think your friend is barking up the wrong tree perhaps. Maybe he should set his sights a little higher like managing anything for that matter, perhaps fast food etc. or even open his own low cost franchise like "Subway". Maybe he should take some classes at a local community college for brush ups etc. dummy down his resume. Very tough position to be in that is for sure.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:

Yea. I have heard stories like this.

This basically equates with people not willing/able to move to other locations for jobs.

After 3 months of being unemployed, I had to take a job out of state.

Do what you gotta do...

Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,313 times
He's probably used to getting what he needs and where he wants based on merit, but it's time for him to call in any and all friend chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search