Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,471 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not a trend...

"The college degree is becoming the new high school diploma: the new minimum requirement, albeit an expensive one, for getting even the lowest-level job.

Consider the 45-person law firm of Busch, Slipakoff & Schuh here in Atlanta, a place that has seen tremendous growth in the college-educated population. Like other employers across the country, the firm hires only people with a bachelor’s degree, even for jobs that do not require college-level skills.
This prerequisite applies to everyone, including the receptionist, paralegals, administrative assistants and file clerks. Even the office “runner” — the in-house courier who, for $10 an hour, ferries documents back and forth between the courthouse and the office — went to a four-year school.

“College graduates are just more career-oriented,” said Adam Slipakoff, the firm’s managing partner. “Going to college means they are making a real commitment to their futures. They’re not just looking for a paycheck...”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/takes-...w_default=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Unfortunately there's enough college graduates available and willing to do these kinds of jobs that it makes sense to use the requirement as a way to filter out people.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
I saw two postings recently. One was for a front desk position at a luxury hotel, and the other was for a warehouse shipping position. Both required a degree.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM

92 posts, read 267,525 times
The reason that a degree is required for these jobs is that employers can get away with it due to the plentiful labor supply. Lots of college-educated people (such as myself) are willing to take drastic pay cuts in positions for which they are overqualified. I am in my 30s and I was laid off from a job making $70,000 per year 2 years ago. I ended up accepting a position for $38,000. It's the nature of the beast.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

"The college degree is becoming the new high school diploma: the new minimum requirement, albeit an expensive one, for getting even the lowest-level job.

Consider the 45-person law firm of Busch, Slipakoff & Schuh here in Atlanta, a place that has seen tremendous growth in the college-educated population. Like other employers across the country, the firm hires only people with a bachelor’s degree, even for jobs that do not require college-level skills.
This prerequisite applies to everyone, including the receptionist, paralegals, administrative assistants and file clerks. Even the office “runner” — the in-house courier who, for $10 an hour, ferries documents back and forth between the courthouse and the office — went to a four-year school.

“College graduates are just more career-oriented,” said Adam Slipakoff, the firm’s managing partner. “Going to college means they are making a real commitment to their futures. They’re not just looking for a paycheck...”

I saw this in the NYT and it's just a law firm in Cobb county with a snobby and elitist attitude. The picture along with it featured young, attractive girls. I almost think that these lawyers are looking for cute throphy wives along with cute girls to drool over. Because they are only hiring young college grads, they may be making themselves a target for an age/minority discrimination lawsuit.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,893 times
Those girls look stuck up and have no boobs. Not exactly attractive.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
With this horrible economy and an over abundance of college grad I see this often. I just saw a job basically shipping items in a factory that required a degree.

It is discrimination when an employer only hires recent grads but sadly hard to prove in court.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

That's a logical position for them to take, and it makes any employee have a shot at higher level jobs within the org.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I rather take do something that pays more than a file clerk anyway.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
u r so right. but will an american y generation kid look at a trade program, u have got to be kidding.
soon we will be like france, where the guy who cleans your toilet and prepares your meals has a PhD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search