Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
It's unfortunate that these places seem to have proliferated. I last worked in the US in 2005 and never even heard of somebody using an employment agency. I didn't think any even existed.

Then I came to England where almost all jobs are done through these agencies. Companies use them because agency staff have far fewer employment rights than people employed directly by the company. They don't need to give sick leave, they can fire you at any time for any reason, all sorts of stuff.

I read a lot of these threads about employment agencies here so it seems that this nonsense is happening in the US now too. My experience with agencies in England has almost always followed the same pattern:

1. Send them my resume

2. They call me and say they have loads of jobs for people with my skills and to come in

3. I go there, take some typing test, fill in a lot of paperwork, talk briefly to the 22 year old employment agent

4. They again tell me that they have loads of jobs for me

5. I never hear from them again

On the rare occasion when they do contact me it was for a cleaning job, a reception job (after I specifically told them I don't want to do reception), some random manual labor (of which I had no experience and I'm not exactly a strong, healthy guy), data entry from midnight to 8 am in some place two hours from my home, and general crap, short-term, low-paying work. I have a degree and had plenty of work experience.

Fortunately, I've since learned a trade of sorts and don't have to deal with these agencies any more. They're totally useless.
My employer opened its doors, in staffing, in 2000. Been around and part of the job market and workforce forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
But wouldn't the company get a better quality employee if they paid them $40/hr directly? Or $30/hr + benefits?

I also wonder how much "wiggle room" an agency has in how much they pay to the temp -- $1-2/hr? $5/hr? and still make a profit.
It depends.

I deal with healthcare staffing.

We need to pay the person, house them, pay their travel costs, as well as make a profit. By time all this is said and done, we usually make about $20/week on the person. And we still have to pay the costs of doing business...and we are in a short term temp field...so we do not make as much as you think....

Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
It depends.

I deal with healthcare staffing.

We need to pay the person, house them, pay their travel costs, as well as make a profit. By time all this is said and done, we usually make about $20/week on the person. And we still have to pay the costs of doing business...and we are in a short term temp field...so we do not make as much as you think....
What kind of jobs do you staff where the temp agency provides housing (free rent!) and commuting costs (free carfare!) for the temps (especially short-term temps)?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Has anyone else got dressed up really nice, got your resume and cover letter ready to go, and put on your best smile only to get to one of these staffing agencies to open the door and see a bunch of hobo's or bummy looking people with sagging pants, dreadlocks, and bad attitudes circling around the lobby area waiting to be called in for an interview?

I have been to a couple of staffing agencies around Nashville lately, and there are other professional looking people who look like they are serious about finding work, but the majority of the folk I see in these places come in there with baggy pants where you can see underwear, hoodies on, gold chains, and speaking like they are waiting for the next metro bus to come and pick them up as they await thier interview.

This makes no sense to me why any employer would hire anyone who acted like they didn't even care about an interview. I don't care what kind of job you are going for, or what skills you have or don't have, but I was taught to dress your best, and make your best impression. I learned this in an adult ed program when I was a teen in this ghetto school I went to in Miami. These people have no excuse to act this way. They came from the same kind of area I came from, so I don't get why they do this. Maybe it's to prove that they are looking for a job while not actually wanting one, so they can continue recieving government entitlements.

Anyone else have the same experience or know someone who goes into interviews or a staffing agency and behaves in this manner?
I used to see this years ago,and was sometimes frustrated when I'd hear one those being interviewed talking about their criminal record and they seemed to get more consideration than I did! Or I'd hear the workers in the office on the phone wondering why Tareeq didn't show up for work that day meanwhile there I was all ready to go

Maybe it's politics or something,but when I went in recently the recruiters were now eyeing all the immigrants coming in in groups...I think they get some sort of bulk discount and also don't have to pay much because they know they're probably going to get hard workers desperate for anything!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What kind of jobs do you staff where the temp agency provides housing (free rent!) and commuting costs (free carfare!) for the temps (especially short-term temps)?
Travel nursing.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I used to see this years ago,and was sometimes frustrated when I'd hear one those being interviewed talking about their criminal record and they seemed to get more consideration than I did! Or I'd hear the workers in the office on the phone wondering why Tareeq didn't show up for work that day meanwhile there I was all ready to go

Maybe it's politics or something,but when I went in recently the recruiters were now eyeing all the immigrants coming in in groups...I think they get some sort of bulk discount and also don't have to pay much because they know they're probably going to get hard workers desperate for anything!
You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search