Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
There's more to writing a resume than grammar and presentation and "How to Write a Winning Resume." For years I did resumes for family and friends that got them jobs they never thought they'd get. Most of the time I spent with them was just talking, digging out bits of information they thought wasn't important but which showed an ability or strength they never would have thought of adding to their resume, but which put them in an entirely different light. You need someone who can (please excuse this cliche) think outside the box and know how to turn a phrase to catch the reviewer's eye. Many a time I never got to a resume, because the cover letter was so bad I tossed it before even looking at the resume,so there's also that.

The "cover paragraph" seems to be a eye catcher in 2013. The long cover letters seem to be a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,135,858 times
I met with a head hunter, she rewrote the resume which came out really nice and I ended up getting a different job. Cost to me, $0

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Would you pay someone to write your resume? My wife's been trying to get a state job. No such luck so far, she's beginning to think something's wrong with her resume and cover letter. Is it worth to shell out $50-$200 to have someone look at her resume and cover letter? Is there really a thing as a "resume expert"?

And how does one go looking to find one and know that their work is quality?
I spent $200 each on 2 new resumes and tried them out both. My response rate did not increase at all. What a waste of $400.

I took a FREE class on career skills. My mentors had me throw out the fluff. My response rate went to 1-2 calls for every 10-20 resume. With so many calls, I was able to pick and choose the job offers. I went from $25k to $50k within 4 months.

I would try out the free stuff first, before shelling out $200.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Resume writing is an acquired skill. When I was doing a job search I was sending out "cold" (no job offer listed, companies doing just fine without interest in new blood) and was always able to snag interviews.

However... when you have someone else put together your resume, the employer is looking at the construction of that person as well as the skills, education, and job history listed. If your resume reeks of graduate level English and you speak like Gomer Pyle, you aren't going to make it past the interview.

The PROCESS of building a good resume puts you in a great position to quickly answer many interview questions. If you can pay someone to guide you through making your own resume, that might be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search