Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times

Advertisements

An offer should always come mailed or emailed (as an attachment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
An offer should always come mailed or emailed (as an attachment).
Agreed. I'm just flabbergasted that they think its normal to expect someone to resign from a secure job based on a verbal phone offer that there is no physical record of. And the most bizarre part of this is that it is a large, public organization.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I've received the email. It does not spell out the terms of the employment - it's just the on-boarding paperwork.
So instead of posting here, why not call/write to them and ask for this information?

I have a very hard time believing that you're expected to not know the salary/benefits of the job until you show up for work on day one. They actually told you to resign from your job and that they will not be providing any further information? Again, hard to believe.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
So instead of posting here, why not call/write to them and ask for this information?
OP is asking whether this is normal practice.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

I have a very hard time believing that you're expected to not know the salary/benefits of the job until you show up for work on day one. They actually told you to resign from your job and that they will not be providing any further information? Again, hard to believe.
Oh, believe me - I have been in contact with them. The posting here is just a way to vent.

I know, it's unbelievable to the point I thought I had misunderstood them yesterday. They told me there would be no offer letter in the mail but that I would receive an on-boarding packet via email. I assumed that this email would have the PDF offer letter attached. I called HR to confirm this and two different people said they do not send out written offer letters to non-contracted employees, even via email. I left a message with one other HR person to check on this. If that doesn't work, I will contact the guy who would be my supervisor and let him know what's going on.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
FWIW, I'm in Silicon valley and I've never encountered a company, small or big, that doesn't send out an offer letter (email or snail) with the terms of employment and start date.

I agree - the very least one needs (if a contract employee) is a Letter of Engagement spelling out all terms of the relationship, start date, duties, reimbursement, etc.

For regular employee with benefits, I would expect a letter outlining all those details and have often seen a job description attached or at least the title of the job and the reporting structure, benefits (in summary, or materials to follow on said benefits and how to sign up for them, etc) . . . start date and salary.

I would not want to resign my present position without that letter (or email) in my possession.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM

I just had a long conversation with HR. They said I just need to trust them and they insinuated the only reason I want an offer letter is to use as a counter offer. They said that I am not allowed to have any printed records of my salary or position info and that I can only ask HR people about it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
I just had a long conversation with HR. They said I just need to trust them and they insinuated the only reason I want an offer letter is to use as a counter offer. They said that I am not allowed to have any printed records of my salary or position info and that I can only ask HR people about it.

LOL ... you don't need to have an official offer letter to get counter offers!
They're secretive for no apparent reasons ... kind of like Apple.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

Big Red Flag. IMO, I would tell them I am no longer interested, you're supposed to "trust them"???? You have nothing in writing, you were smart enough not to give notice, at this point I would just chalk this up to experience and pass on this.

Most jobs are "at will" these days, but at least with a written offer you have some ground to stand on legally if the job falls through and you have already resigned from your current job.

You have no proof that you even have a job offer.

I would take it as a sign and pass.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:

I would seriously consider walking away from this. Ifya go the verbal route and start your new job, then you just might get a big surprise when ya get your first paycheck.

It it just might not be a pleasant surprise.

Anything legitimate and FIRM will be documented and in writing for all to see.

Think about it....

Oh. And HR's condescending attitude should be a big red flag waving at you and slapping you in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search