Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM

874 posts, read 1,654,399 times

Advertisements

Run, don't walk. I'm sure you can find something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,892,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Run, don't walk. I'm sure you can find something better.
The best they said they will do is send me a letter saying they are hiring me - no position or salary listed at all. So instead of paying me $X for position Y, they could pay me $30,000 to be a janitor (which is honorable work, but it's not what I applied for).

Thanks for everyones' feedback on this. I'm going to turn it down I think.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,423,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I just had a long conversation with HR. They said I just need to trust them and they insinuated the only reason I want an offer letter is to use as a counter offer. They said that I am not allowed to have any printed records of my salary or position info and that I can only ask HR people about it.
They are really *******s. Employers always afraid of something. Every day a new fear or obsession for something. I would call the hiring manager (not HR) and explain the situation. They have to send offers if they want to hire. Period.
Even you turn it down, I would still write a letter to the hiring manager and CEO and explain that what they do is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
FWIW, I'm in Silicon valley and I've never encountered a company, small or big, that doesn't send out an offer letter (email or snail) with the terms of employment and start date.
That's not that kind of job. Silicon Valley is different then everywhere else in the country.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
I was verbally offered a job and salary, but I was told that they do not send official offer letters by mail. I was told I would get an email about what the next steps in the process are.

I do not know if they plan to include the salary information in the email, but I am not going to resign from my current position until they put the salary in writing in some form. Has anyone else heard of an organization doing things this way and do you think I am being reasonable? This is a first for me but I thought I would check in case this is now common.

Not really, the job I was offered mailed me the offer letter and then emailed me a copy. Never in my life have I heard of a company not sending a offer letter.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,820,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Not really, the job I was offered mailed me the offer letter and then emailed me a copy. Never in my life have I heard of a company not sending a offer letter.
That's strange. I've never worked at a job where I have gotten a letter. For me, I have always gotten the offer over the phone.

That works. Even if they send you a letter, the offer can be rescinded just as easily as if they had offered you the job some other way.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's strange. I've never worked at a job where I have gotten a letter. For me, I have always gotten the offer over the phone.

That works. Even if they send you a letter, the offer can be rescinded just as easily as if they had offered you the job some other way.

I was offered the job over the phone, and then I was told the letter is on the way. Every job I had since 2000 always provided something in writing stating what my salary is and the start date. What kind of company doesn't send out a offer letter?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,063,220 times
Quote:
The best they said they will do is send me a letter saying they are hiring me - no position or salary listed at all. So instead of paying me $X for position Y, they could pay me $30,000 to be a janitor (which is honorable work, but it's not what I applied for).

Thanks for everyones' feedback on this. I'm going to turn it down I think.
That's BS. I have always gotten an offer letter from an employer.

I did get screwed over from one employer with a written offer, when I was young man. They had us sign agreements with a raise from $8.00/hr to $8.50/hr in 90 days. A week before my hiring class hit 90 days, they told us the original agreement was made in error by HR. They handed out new paperwork with no raise. If we did not sign it, we would be laid off.

If an employer is really does have a fear of a counter offer, you may be underselling your services. I would look for that higher paying company and negotiate a salary higher than your verbal offer.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM
FBJ

I don't understand the "counter Offer" statement because the person usually knows what the salary is before the offer letter arrives. It's mentioned when the job is offered verbally and the written letter is just confirmation. A offer letter was never meant to be a "Suprise salary offer" lol

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,892,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

I agree with you to an extent. I'm well aware that even a written offer can be rescinded at any time just as I could be terminated at any time. That's the nature of at-will employment and I am fine with that.

My concern is that I will accept the position at one salary level and once I start (and after I have quit my other job) they will claim that I was hired at a different salary since it was never in writing. They could always terminate me, but it would take a lot bigger stones to tell me they are going to pay me less if the original salary was in writing. I believe my concerns along these lines are valid too, because the verbal salary offer was $5000 lower than what they told me the low range over the phone would be. I understand not wanting to give an annual salary out of a fear of that being construed as an annual contract, but they could provide the compensation on a weekly or monthly basis to protect themselves from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Even you turn it down, I would still write a letter to the hiring manager and CEO and explain that what they do is absurd.
I already wrote the hiring manager and I will be writing a formal, hardcopy letter to the chief executive tomorrow. It won't help me, but he might not be aware the HR department operates this way.

P.S. This is not a greedy, profit mad corporation doing this either. This is a public organization funded by tax payer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search