Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times

Advertisements

I was fortunate enough to receive two job offers within the span of a week. The first offer was my preferred choice, and I immediately accepted it. The second is not a bad offer, at all; I would have accepted it if I hadn't landed the first one.

So the second offer was a phone call that I received today. I let them know that I would respond within 24 hours. Now, I really clicked with the hiring manager, and would like to remain an attractive candidate for this company, should I be job hunting again in the future. Is there anything that I should do or say to maximize the chances of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Why is the first your preferred job? The reason I ask is because I always go for the most money, if all else is roughly equal. You could be in a great position to play them against each other for more money.

Alternatively, just to tell the truth: you would have LOVED to accept the position, but you already accepted another.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
you could send a letter of regret to the hiring manager, expressing how much you enjoyed the process and how you would like to leave the door open for future opportunities and let him know that unfortunately youve already committed to another opportunity. you dont want to get into too many details as he may try to convince you to reconsider his offer. keep everything positive and professional and leave the door open for opportunities in the future.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Why is the first your preferred job? The reason I ask is because I always go for the most money, if all else is roughly equal. You could be in a great position to play them against each other for more money.

Alternatively, just to tell the truth: you would have LOVED to accept the position, but you already accepted another.
The first is my preferred job because it is moving in a positive direction, career wise. The offer from the second job is actually a bit higher, but it is warehouse management again (same as my last job.) I am getting the high end of the range for the job I'll be starting, as I already negotiated that.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
The first is my preferred job because it is moving in a positive direction, career wise. The offer from the second job is actually a bit higher, but it is warehouse management again (same as my last job.) I am getting the high end of the range for the job I'll be starting, as I already negotiated that.
I would take the one with more advancement but not for the reason you think. I noticed a lot of my friends and former colleagues that never were unemployed in this downturn had one thing in common................they were all managers that when the downturn happened they took a demotion back to sales or account manger, those of us in sales were laid off because the former manager had more overall skills than us. For that reason, aspiring to be a manager would be worth it.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Congrats on getting two offers in the same week, rohierette. From your posts it appears to me you have a good grasp of how to handle HR situations. They both liked what you could offer their respective companies.

I'd simply write a note to the Hiring Manager thanking him/her and say you were pleased to receive their offer but had just accepted another position days before. I would write a couple of positive things about their company and also include something like should you need to search for employment again their company would be the first you would contact given your recent experience with them, or something similar. I don't know if they can keep resumes on file when job descriptions and jobs can change depending on the company need.

WTG in this economy and employer's market.

MSR

Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM

MSR, thank you.

I think that it all that I will do - send a note to V that is slightly more personal and expansive than my brief thank-yous, and just try to cultivate him as a contact. I am slightly wistful about losing that potential relationship, because it was an unusual flow during our interview where I just happened to have experience with several unique situations that he is also dealing with, and we have a similar sense of humor.

I'm lucky, though, and I know it. Moving forward!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
you could send a letter of regret to the hiring manager, expressing how much you enjoyed the process and how you would like to leave the door open for future opportunities and let him know that unfortunately youve already committed to another opportunity. you dont want to get into too many details as he may try to convince you to reconsider his offer. keep everything positive and professional and leave the door open for opportunities in the future.
Perfect reply. Always keep it positive. And perhaps, if they want you bad enough, they'll up their offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search