Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Well, I was just worried that it might look like I am so desperate and I'm sitting around all day on Craigslist shooting out resumes to every single job that pops up.

Also, a few hours later the same company posted a position that would be the junior level of the one I applied to. I would be more qualified for the junior level position now that I think of it, but the first one was so vague I thought I had a chance (didn't describe requirements). Any use in applying for the second one as well or should I just let it go and see what happens?
just let it go and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
heh no shame many of us are desperate for work... I think as long as your cover letter, and resume is focused/tailored to the job you should be alright

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM

162 posts, read 348,993 times
If you have what they're looking for, there is less chance of you being compared to someone else if you're at the top of the list. Do it. Take every advantage you can.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. Ours are all done online and when I have an opening I never pay any attention to when they applied. The last two hires happen to be people that sent it it at the 11th hour on the last day but they were both far better qualified than the rest. That's the only reason I remember anything about the order,
I was keeping my fingers crossed for someone better to apply.
LOL. Been there. I handle the posting, the screening, and the 1st interviews. HATE it when I am looking at a pile of "if I have to, I will call these people" and praying that someone notices the ad before I have to present the people I have in front of me...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
heh no shame many of us are desperate for work... I think as long as your cover letter, and resume is focused/tailored to the job you should be alright
I can honestly say, and I am in hiring, that until you mentioned it, it never occurred to me to think that the first applicant for any position I post was sitting around on the computer all day and doing nothing else. And I have been in a hiring role for well over 10 years, so I think you can put that one to rest.

The first thing I usually notice is if the person is even remotely qualified or if they jazzed up the cover letter to get the application to me and the actual resume is short on substance.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I also believe the sooner the better. I've actually gotten calls for interviews within 20-30 mins of applying for jobs, because I was one of the first ones in.

I actually had a VP call me from their cell phone, in their car cause they saw my resume come in. There's no harm in being quick.

Meanwhile, I had a much lower response rate from older job ads.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Sending your résumé in right away is not a problem.

When I hire I need to balance a lot of factors. Education, experience, work stability, availability, potential relocation, and how each of these factors relates to every other applicant.

Exactly when you apply is not a concern.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Meanwhile, I had a much lower response rate from older job ads.
It depends. If you are applying for a government or education job where there is a defined period (with a stated closing date) for applications, it will not really matter.

Other jobs will probably give preference to earlier applications, simply because you stop reviewing them once you have an adequate pool of candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search