Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times

Advertisements

I applied for an "as needed" per diem hospital job about a month ago. I get an email today, Good Friday of all days notifying me that I have 24 hours to submit the email addresses of 5 references for them to fill out an email survey of me. Two must be prior managers/supervisors. I found this off-putting as I haven't even been contacted by a live person from the place where I applied. Is this what hiring practices have come to?

I clicked on the link in the email that stated I was no longer interested in this job. Fortunately I have one per diem job with two other prospects lined up. If I didn't have these other two potential jobs I probably would of been chasing down people this weekend for their professional emails and asking for permission to use them.

Has anyone out there had to do these email reference surveys before, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
The surveys are becoming more popular as the asynchronous method is less bothersome to the reference than a phonecall.

Demanding a response in 24 hours seems a bit ridiculous (even though reasonable response time is 1 business day).

Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
I'm not sure why you don't have their email addresses to begin with. (But then, I prefer contacting someone via email rather than the phone.)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
references are always a subject of debate. its crazy that they're asking for 5 instead of the normal 3. and one never truly knows what others will say about them. ive seen people who were supposedly friends completely disparage one another plus they shouldve given you more time. its iffy indeed. since you werent comfortable providing them you were right in withdrawing from the process.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-possible.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...taken-job.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...reference.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...mployment.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-mouthing.html

whats always more important is the unofficial background check that employers do through google searches, 123people, linkedin, calling people who you did not give them permission to contact....

Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
its crazy that they're asking for 5 instead of the normal 3.
Probably has to do with email response rate. The employer's HR folks know that a certain percentage of the references they contact won't respond to an email, so they ask for more than they need.

Back to the original topic... the scenario described in the OP would be ideal for me. I don't even have phone numbers for two of my best references. Neither of them work at the employers we worked at together.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
What does Good Friday have to do with anything? It's not a holiday recognized by any government or banking system in the US.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I had to provide 3 professional references on an app. Since I really work alone in the field and just do my job I really don't even talk to my supervisors at all. I'm the kind of employee they like, I do my job and they don't have to do anything. I could only provide 2 current supervisors, and I didn't really want to as they don't know I'm out looking for other opportunities. I could not even come up with a 3rd. I could not ask management of any of the stores I work in weekly as that would be like job hunting on company time. I could only ask them if I quit the jobs. Not really sure what to do about professional references. I've been self employed selling my wares online for 5 years, no human interaction with my customers, and employed for 2.5 years where I have only met my supervisor of one job once, and the other job never. I was hired over the phone. LOL

Sigh.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What does Good Friday have to do with anything? It's not a holiday recognized by any government or banking system in the US.
^^^This.

It is also not a holiday recognized by the hospital industry in which OP is applying to work in...

Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I applied for an "as needed" per diem hospital job about a month ago. I get an email today, Good Friday of all days notifying me that I have 24 hours to submit the email addresses of 5 references for them to fill out an email survey of me. Two must be prior managers/supervisors. I found this off-putting as I haven't even been contacted by a live person from the place where I applied. Is this what hiring practices have come to?

I clicked on the link in the email that stated I was no longer interested in this job. Fortunately I have one per diem job with two other prospects lined up. If I didn't have these other two potential jobs I probably would of been chasing down people this weekend for their professional emails and asking for permission to use them.

Has anyone out there had to do these email reference surveys before, just curious.

Yup, back in November of 2012 I had to submit the email addresses for 3 references so the lady could email all of them a small survey of my work history. Out of the 3, two of them were prior supervisors and one of them was the HR contact for my last company. This was my first time experiencing this type of reference check and was so glad it turned out well.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I had to provide 3 professional references on an app. Since I really work alone in the field and just do my job I really don't even talk to my supervisors at all. I'm the kind of employee they like, I do my job and they don't have to do anything. I could only provide 2 current supervisors, and I didn't really want to as they don't know I'm out looking for other opportunities. I could not even come up with a 3rd. I could not ask management of any of the stores I work in weekly as that would be like job hunting on company time. I could only ask them if I quit the jobs. Not really sure what to do about professional references. I've been self employed selling my wares online for 5 years, no human interaction with my customers, and employed for 2.5 years where I have only met my supervisor of one job once, and the other job never. I was hired over the phone. LOL

Sigh.

You don't talk to your supervisor? You are supposed to have a good working relationship with any supervisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search