Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Really? So what is that HR people do when scanning resumes if not making "assumptions"?
Who knows, maybe they wanted some diversity. You should stop being so enraged over it and take the next steps forward. Ask your friends what they honestly think of your interviewing skills. Maybe even go over some sample questions and answers with them. Sometimes, we don't realize what we're doing wrong, because we've been doing it our entire lives and nobody was honest enough with us from the get go. I found out that I sometimes come off as kindof cold, because I show my negative emotions on my face. I had NO idea I did this, but now after some practice, am better at controlling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
You are not making any points at all. You are locked in a hopeless argument trying to justify the value of NFL cheerleading to an executive level job in the retail industry (there is no value). Dance skills and a toned body are nice, but have nothing to do with being an executive. Hell, a hooters girl could probably make a better claim to relevant job experience than an NFL cheerleader.
You're overlooking the qualifications of an NFL cheerleader. This individual was one of the top 24 cheerleaders in the region out of thousands of people who competed for the lucrative spot. It shows her hard work, dedication, and competitiveness. The employer probably already has a bunch of book-smart folks on-board and need someone who has more diverse skills.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,683 times
I think especially in economies like the one we are in...it is even more s about "who you know". Who can put in a good word for you, and get you in front of the right people. I'd suggest that networking with friends, family members and friends of all those folks could help out.

Also, it isn't true that GPA is all interviewers have to go in for recent grads. Many many students worked before college, through college, internships, volunteer work, etc. Those items are often weighed much heavier that a GPA....bc unfortunately a GPA doesn't do much for how a candidate might fit or work in a real work environment...

Good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Really? So what is that HR people do when scanning resumes if not making "assumptions"?
When I write an employment ad, I put into it the skills I require for an application to be considered. These are not random, they are the actual requirements. I also put information in for the skills I would prefer. It is up to you, the applicant, to present an application that meets the qualifications. you present yourself/ If you do not get past this to the next step, it is not my assumptions that are to blame, it is your failure to present yourself in a way that clearly shows you met the requirements. If I say you need 5 years of experience in a certain field and you have 3, you do not make the cut. If you have 6, you do. The person who applied with the 3 years of experience when the requirements clearly stated 5 years required is the one who is asking me to make assumptions...they want me to assume that they are so brilliant they applied anyway, even when lacking the required skill set.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
It is not about beating up. It is about gathering information. I always (to the extent possible) look up as much information about a company and the person interviewing me (if there is an interview) as possible. Glassdoor, linkedin, numerous trips to the company website etc. I want to be well prepared and stocked with info. If I did not get the job and someone who is no way more qualified did, I know the reasons were completely BS. On the other hand, I have seen situations where the "potential employer" strung me along for no reason. I once interviewed for a "Sr. Bookkeeping manager" position for a company when the company "found" me. I got an e-mail from a lady about this position and she subsequently told me at interview about how the owner "likes to hire smart people and experience or lack of it is no big deal". Fast forward to present day I found out that the person who actually got the position there had 7 years of accounting experience and an accounting degree. So a fresh graduate with a business degree but not in accounting and no experience in accounting vs someone with 7 years experience and a degree. The woman wasted my time.
Hearsay isn't always worth listening to. Your user name says it all, I think! Well at least you are getting interviews but suffice it to say that there just aren't enough jobs right now. I hope you are at least trying to get some freelance work especially if you can no longer collect UE benefits. Get over your "Rage"; it isn't healthy!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 AM

117 posts, read 179,516 times
Maybe checking linked in is useful for seeing who got hired for future reference or something. I don't know. I don't do it. I don't see how it can really help you. My friend was an actress for 4 years and went straight to an executive director position at a hospital. She had a year of volunteer work over that span of time, but nothing else. Her degree was in theater. If you just looked at her linked in profile and her job title you wouldn't be helped in any way about hiring practices. And the truth is she got the job because of he uncanny ability to convince people to do anything, and her magnanimous attitude. That's it. She was woefully under qualified, and when we talk she tells me how she gets oodles of help from all her staff to get up to speed with operations and how to do her job. She's been doing it six months and still isn't exactly on the ball. No one at her work cares because they love her. She's awesome. I don't see how knowing such a thing would help you.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 AM

Also, lol at the average cheerleader position given you obviously transferable management skills. The average cheerleader undergoes sort of the same training as a dancer. Beyond that there's heavy grooming and direction regarding personality that need to be abided by. It's only the head cheerleaders and leads are really the ones who can be said to have skills that would be obviously transferable to management or other areas.

...and rage can be useful if it is directly properly and makes you surpass you own expectations and limits.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:10 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
One of my current past times is doing just that. The most "amazing" feeling is when you realize a job that did not even offer you an interview was filled by someone with a degree from the same school you went to but worse gpa (cumulative and in the major), no work experience or relevant activities certifications.

I saw a profile of a person who works as a district manager for Aldi after working for NFL Carolina Panthers as a cheerleader. Amazingly misguided work history but she got an MBA from some mediocre school and she is "executive material" now.

I applied to be an ETF Accountant @ BNY Mellon 4 times and never went anywhere but other people have no such issue.
Yep many times. I lost jobs to less qualified people several times including:

1. One job I had three interviews with and was sure I got it. The person who got it was a recently graduated person with the same masters as me from the same school with less experience. The person's Facebook had pictures of her kissing her lesbian partner and talking about sex with the partner and how they hated men. Nothing against gay people but radicals of any stripe are idiots.

2. A recent college grad who posted photos of him drinking and talking about getting drunk.

3. A viased worker who had a Linked-In page all about how Americans are stupid and another who admitted she could barely speak English. These were public relations jobs btw.

Strangely the jobs that called me to reject me all hired more qualified people than me. I was able to see this on Linked-In and was fine they got it because they deserved it. The morons I mentioned above shouldn't have gotten the job over me.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM

They might be less qualified on paper, but if they have a swifter tongue than you they're not less qualified overall. That's reality when dealing with HR...

1. sexual orientation should not matter. you sound like a bigot. blowing off stem talking non-sense on facebook can be judged or ignored by the employer.

2. drinking isn't a crime

3. visa scheme / company bias/ you got shafted

Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I always used a professional resume writer until I started copying their formula
I rarely have been rejected for a job.

Oh, and about the OP's question. I didn't know you could follow job openings in Linkedin, but then again, I'm not looking for job, happy where I'm at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search