Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I do well in interviews so I haven't had a problem, but I find that the determination of whether the job is a good fit is best ascertained through an interview with the department managers or partners. I have not been unemployed since graduating from college, so I have not dealt with the issue of explaining away gaps in a resume - I would probably just hang my shingle out and start my own little CPA practice if that were to happen.
I don't get interviews through HR, I find out how to contact the hiring manager and make my case. In my case, being 50+ most HR people wouldn't give my CV the courtesy of a glance. So whatever interviews I do get are through research on the hiring managers, direct correspondence and diligent follow-up. I do get interviews for some nice gigs and although I've been beaten out for those jobs, when I see who they actually hired, it's always a pretty big hitter in that field (experience with bigger industry names than what I can offer), not skills alone. But I'm in the game and as it's a numbers game I'm confident something will pop. I recently participated in a pretty awesome webinar on becoming a LinkedIn power user which is also paying dividends.

After 20+ years in corporate I started a retail biz a few years ago. I sold that biz to go back to corporate paydays but have so far only managed to get project work on 1099 status. So I've been ineligible for unemployment since 2001 - thus it's impossible to sit around a collect a check.

How do I spend my day - I have a consulting shingle out. I get 50% of my income from that and 50% from P/T jobs I take that allow me to spend 4-5 hours/day doing job research. I've also started a small niche business in a second career - I've got five sources of income that bring in between $5K and $15K each. It keeps the lights on, but isn't a substitute for a six-fig income.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Agree, and my follow up question would require them to offer examples. I got trained in XYZ software 3 months ago..on my own, for instance.

Why not just call a employed person in for a interview?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM
FBJ

I want to know why these stupid companies won't call a EMPLOYED PERSON so that way they won't have to ask stupid questions in the interview

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
That's why I'm employed and your most likely not.
I am most likely not employed? Please elaborate on the basis for that hypothesis.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Guessing in this case incompetence=not hiring you.
But of course. If one is not hired for a position, it must be the fault of the employer doing the hiring. Or their HR department. Or because another candidate spent time on the hiring manager's couch or whatever.

I mean, there is no way that another candidate simply could have been more qualified.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
FBJ

In all honesty, the secret to getting hired which you won't see in any articles is looking very excited to be in the presence of the person who is interviewing you.

Once the interviewer sees that, I will bet my rent for the rest of the year that they will not care WHAT YOU WERE DOING while you been unemployed.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
First of all unless the job was in Human Resources the nice folks in personnel do not hire people. The questions and concerns about the lazy unemployed candidates who spend all their time collecting benefits and watching television instead of building up their job skills were the hiring managers. Again... the hiring managers did not like the unemployed candidates.
Not like that where I worked. HR commands all the questions that are asked. The one who accompanies the managers in interviews asks just as many of those questions as the managers do, AND she partakes of more involvement in the selection process than she should. It's been that way for about 20 years I worked there and, of course, there is much resentment for it. Apparently they consider themselves the experts in selection, yet they've made some pretty big blunders in judgement.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM

318 posts, read 566,765 times
There are so many things that can be learned at the library and on the Internet for FREE or for almost nothing!

Grammar Skills
Writing Skills
Microsoft Office (Professor Teaches Microsoft Office $19)
Typing skills
Podcasts on a number of topics
YOUTUBE Videos on management skills

And text books on pretty much any career

OMG!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM

128 posts, read 267,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
"I work in HR..bla.bla.." OK. That tells me enough. No further reading necessary. You are undeniably biased.
Ah, irony. One of life's small pleasures.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Folks. The OP is a troll and is just stirring the pot every so often with a post to keep everyone going in this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search