Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Everyone knows the answer to this. THE HR PERSON WOULD THROW YOUR RESUME IN THE TRASH.
You would have to lie on your resume and cover your gap. Doesn't matter how and what you put there. Just cover it up. And you never say "I left my job to stay with the kids." It's a perfectly good reason in real life, but in "HR life" telling the truth will not get you hired in today's job market? They screen people out, not in these days. You have to please the HR Gods.
This is so untrue that it's ridiculous.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
It's true around here. Some SAHMs told me this. You can believe whatever you want. Same SAHMs got hired after they covered the job gap. Now these SAHMS were looking for F500 jobs, not Mom and Pop. Ltd. on Main Street.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
It's true around here. Some SAHMs told me this. You can believe whatever you want. Same SAHMs got hired after they covered the job gap. Now these SAHMS were looking for F500 jobs, not Mom and Pop. Ltd. on Main Street.
It's not true, I have a number of friends in the NYC Metro area (I lived there most of my life) who have taken time off to raise a family and then reentered the workforce back into Fortune 500's, major law firms, the Big Four, etc.

It's possible that the "job gap" wasn't the reason they weren't hired.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

It's best not to even go back and forth with her because she knows everything and everybody.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's best not to even go back and forth with her because she knows everything and everybody.
I never said that. I do know a lot of people and have had a lot of life experience. perhaps if you spent you time doing things and meeting people instead of watching TV you'd be in a similar position.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM

We ALL know a lot of people and have a lot of life experience and job experience. She holds a particular bias towards the long term people.It's clear from many of her comments. Hey, it doesn't matter to me, I talk to people like this all the time. They won't change anything. They don't phase me. I am long term myself, but I manage my job gaps very well and have options on the side. I won't end up homeless or, well, working the $5 jobs. I don't need to. I'm taking care of my own business. Whatever advice and help I can give to my fellow long terms, I do. And it's come back to me, the good karma. No skin off my back.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
We ALL know a lot of people and have a lot of life experience and job experience. She holds a particular bias towards the long term people.It's clear from many of her comments. Hey, it doesn't matter to me, I talk to people like this all the time. They won't change anything. They don't phase me. I am long term myself, but I manage my job gaps very well and have options on the side. I won't end up homeless or, well, working the $5 jobs. I don't need to. I'm taking care of my own business. Whatever advice and help I can give to my fellow long terms, I do. And it's come back to me, the good karma. No skin off my back.
I believe that most long term unemployed have been far too rigid in their requirements for seeking and/or accepting new employment and refuse to accept the reality that the world has changed and they need to evolve with it.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM

that's what every other hater says. no surprise. LOL

Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
that's what every other hater says. no surprise. LOL
I don't hate them, I pity them. They will eventually have to face that reality that there are no more benefits and the choices they have are far worse than the ones they've refused to consider.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Everyone knows the answer to this. THE HR PERSON WOULD THROW YOUR RESUME IN THE TRASH.
You would have to lie on your resume and cover your gap. Doesn't matter how and what you put there. Just cover it up. And you never say "I left my job to stay with the kids." It's a perfectly good reason in real life, but in "HR life" telling the truth will not get you hired in today's job market? They screen people out, not in these days. You have to please the HR Gods.

Yeah especially if you have not kept your skills current. They want your skills to be current. Nothing wrong with being a SAHM though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search