U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM

318 posts, read 524,832 times

Advertisements

I work in Human Resources and spend a good percent of my time in recruiting and staffing. (As well as training) and have become very frustrated in the lack of skills most job candidates have selling themselves.

The long term unemployed job candidates are usually unemployed for a reason, they can't sell themselves! Here is a question I ask nearly every unemployed candidate and almost everyone gives a very poor answer:

"I see you are not working right now, what are you doing to stay busy every day while you look for a job, outside of job hunting?"

Most people will say they are watching lots of television, playing with the computer, and bumming around town. Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work. WRONG ANSWER! What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.

Agree or disagree?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 AM

203 posts, read 482,011 times
I disagree. It should be no ones business what they are doing in their time.

I feel that companies today peer into peoples lives too intrusively.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM

318 posts, read 524,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
I disagree. It should be no ones business what they are doing in their time.

I feel that companies today peer into peoples lives too intrusively.
Everything is fair game in the evaluation of the candidates for employment unless there is a law about it. If you are a business leader getting the most talented and hard working candidates as possible is the most important part of your job. Finding out what potential employees do in their free time while unemployed tells you a lot about their motivations and career progress.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 AM

25,725 posts, read 37,629,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Everything is fair game in the evaluation of the candidates for employment unless there is a law about it. If you are a business leader getting the most talented and hard working candidates as possible is the most important part of your job. Finding out what potential employees do in their free time while unemployed tells you a lot about their motivations and career progress.

Quote:
What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.
You contradict yourself here.

Quote:
Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work. WRONG ANSWER!
IMO, spending 12 hours a day looking for work means you are devoted to your career. Oh yeah, what money are they going to use to learn new skills if they are unemployed and putting any money coming in towards eating and paying rent?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,331,141 times
It's really nobody's business if I wanted to spend 30 minutes a week filling out online job applications and spend the rest of the week watching TV and playing Xbox all while drawing a $500 unemployment check.

Wishful thinking though... I'm headed out the door on my way to work.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,267,693 times
"I work in HR..bla.bla.." OK. That tells me enough. No further reading necessary. You are undeniably biased.

Perhaps you need to do some actual research in the Finance industry as it relates to banking, the stock market and real estate. I also advise you to speak to some real people who have lost everything. Many of them have several degrees and years of experience. Yes, there are lawyers and doctors. Trust me, they know how to sell themselves and their services.

some starting points for some research: Wall Street Journal, Businessweek, The Real Deal, Crains and of course, The New York Times.

Your style of writing indicates the possibility that you are either still in high school or in your 20s. I doubt that you have a valid experience platform from which to judge all the unemployed across the board. Clearly you met some losers who are unemployed because they're losers, not due to the economy. Losers are the first ones to be unemployed regardless of the economy.

You are hateful and biased.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

16,377 posts, read 20,502,513 times
Quote:
I work in Human Resources and spend a good percent of my time in recruiting and staffing. (As well as training) and have become very frustrated in the lack of skills most job candidates have selling themselves.

The long term unemployed job candidates are usually unemployed for a reason, they can't sell themselves! Here is a question I ask nearly every unemployed candidate and almost everyone gives a very poor answer:

"I see you are not working right now, what are you doing to stay busy every day while you look for a job, outside of job hunting?"

Most people will say they are watching lots of television, playing with the computer, and bumming around town. Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work. WRONG ANSWER! What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.

Agree or disagree?
If they lied like you wanted, then you would follow up and ask them what skills new skills they learned.

What if they already have all the skills needed, so there are no new skills to learn? What if they had fun while off work, caught up with old friends and did things they never had time to do? Fixed the house, waxed the car, hiked a long trail, went shopping more often, cooked food at home and tried new recipes. No, they must be dedicated to work 100% of their entire life, even in between jobs when not being paid.

Humans need down time to recharge their batteries. In between jobs is the best time for this. Then they are recharged for the new job. I would rather have a fully recharged candidate than someone that spent all their time in training and is going to be burnt out and might not have enough energy to dedicate to the new job.

When I am in between jobs, I trade stocks, making enough money so I don't need to work. Can't tell that to HR in an interview. They would be afraid I would trade stocks at my new job(I don't, EVER). I learned a ton about stock trading during that time off, but it's not my line of work and it's a negative to mention in the interview.
I also never mentioned that I got super healthy with eating habits and exercising and started a 5 day a week exercise program. That took lots of effort and time but cannot say that in an interview because HR might think I was "unhealthy" before and might return to old habits and you never want to bring of health related things in an interview.

So you really cannot tell HR exactly what you have been doing with your spare time because you might be judged negatively.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-13-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,267,693 times
Further, those of us who spend 15-20 years contributing to this country in a productive way by paying taxes or enlisting in the armed services or both, have every conceivable and NATURAL RIGHT to get unemployment, veterans, workers comp, disability/SSI, and my favorite: public assistance when such a need becomes necessary to basic survival.

We payed into the system. Now it's time for us to collect on that. Who the hell are you???

You need to see the difference between the generations of welfare collectors who have criminal records, drug problems and multiple children from different men in prison/on drugs and educated, productive tax payers who are temporarily dislocated due to the economy. If you are so blind and can't see the different between the two groups then you know what...stay in HR. Perfect place for you and your kind.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM

2,431 posts, read 5,177,308 times
Quote:
Most people will say they are watching lots of television, playing with the computer, and bumming around town. Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work.
I don't know of any intelligent job seeker who would actually say those things to a person in a hiring position. That's ridiculous.

Quote:
What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.
So as long as we parrot the correct statement back to you, you will be satisfied, regardless of what we're actually doing? These are the magic words?

Right words or not, I'll only get the chance to speak with you if I've actually gotten an interview. What is your ratio of number people who apply for a position vs. number of people who interview? I'm sure there are MANY qualified candidates who never make it to the interview stage, simply because there are too many of them to actually interview.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM

16,377 posts, read 20,502,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Further, those of us who spend 15-20 years contributing to this country in a productive way by paying taxes or enlisting in the armed services or both, have every conceivable and NATURAL RIGHT to get unemployment, veterans, workers comp, disability/SSI, and my favorite: public assistance when such a need becomes necessary to basic survival.

We payed into the system. Now it's time for us to collect on that. Who the hell are you???

You need to see the difference between the generations of welfare collectors who have criminal records, drug problems and multiple children from different men in prison/on drugs and educated, productive tax payers who are temporarily dislocated due to the economy. If you are so blind and can't see the different between the two groups then you know what...stay in HR. Perfect place for you and your kind.
I don't disagree with you.

But keep in mind there are folks that are in between jobs that are not collecting unemployment or any other assistance.

Just because someone is "unemployed", it doesn't automatically mean they are getting any money from outside sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.