Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,214,322 times

Advertisements

After spending some time formatting my resume to make it fit on one page I wondered, I have 2 lines devoted to my street address that I could instead use to list a few more relevant job-related facts about myself.

Do employers care if my address is listed? Maybe it would suffice to just list name and phone number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,981,569 times
I don't and won't, especially with all of these identity thief scams.

I use real name, email address and telephone number. This should suffice.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,776,020 times
I see no reason not to use your address when you are sending a resume directly to someone's email at a company.

But when posting your resume on job boards or if you plan to respond to craigslist ads then I would not use a home address.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,653,803 times
You could always put your address on one line instead of two.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,553,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
After spending some time formatting my resume to make it fit on one page I wondered, I have 2 lines devoted to my street address that I could instead use to list a few more relevant job-related facts about myself.

Do employers care if my address is listed? Maybe it would suffice to just list name and phone number?
You don't have to stick to one page anymore. 1.5 or 2 pages is perfectly fine, and even standard if you have been working for a while. People like to see bullet points too (easier to read), instead of paragraphs, and they take up more room anyway.

Employers DO like to see that you live in the same general area as the job. They don't care if you're going to have a long commute, but they want to know if they're looking at someone from out of town who has to move for the job. If you're uncomfortable putting your street address, at least list your town/state.

For blind ads, especially on CL, yeah, name and email is ok.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,970,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
You don't have to stick to one page anymore. 1.5 or 2 pages is perfectly fine, and even standard if you have been working for a while. People like to see bullet points too (easier to read), instead of paragraphs, and they take up more room anyway.

Employers DO like to see that you live in the same general area as the job. They don't care if you're going to have a long commute, but they want to know if they're looking at someone from out of town who has to move for the job. If you're uncomfortable putting your street address, at least list your town/state.

For blind ads, especially on CL, yeah, name and email is ok.
I agree with everything here. Knowing that one person is local could be the difference between two equal candidates. It shows that you aren't just spamming every company in the country.

The old one page rule was back when people sent in paper resumes. Now it's better to have the key words that the software is looking for; that often takes more than one page.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I agree with everything here. Knowing that one person is local could be the difference between two equal candidates. It shows that you aren't just spamming every company in the country.

The old one page rule was back when people sent in paper resumes. Now it's better to have the key words that the software is looking for; that often takes more than one page.

There was never a one page rule so not sure where it came from

Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
As mentioned don't do that. I just put my name, city, and state then when I have to fill out app I give them the full address.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM

278 posts, read 465,676 times
I do not put my address on my resume. For some reason, I have gotten lots of questions about my commute, so this makes me feel like they consider your commute. In my opinion that is my business, and if I want a short commute I will move my apartment closer to work.

One of the grimy parts of looking for a job is being forced to flip your personal information all around the internet. There are altogether too many websites exploiting this for their own gain - who knows where they sell their lists. There are also plenty of blind ads. Frankly you should expect your info to be compromised at some point.

I am even sick of giving out my email address, since I can't avoid crappy newsletters and spam from job boards, no matter how hard I try. They are tricky.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
I do not put my address on my resume. For some reason, I have gotten lots of questions about my commute, so this makes me feel like they consider your commute. In my opinion that is my business, and if I want a short commute I will move my apartment closer to work.

One of the grimy parts of looking for a job is being forced to flip your personal information all around the internet. There are altogether too many websites exploiting this for their own gain - who knows where they sell their lists. There are also plenty of blind ads. Frankly you should expect your info to be compromised at some point.

I am even sick of giving out my email address, since I can't avoid crappy newsletters and spam from job boards, no matter how hard I try. They are tricky.

Your address is your business when applying to a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search