Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM

162 posts, read 348,916 times

Advertisements

Yeah, sometimes. It's always going to be a long shot either way though because chances are someone else has the experience needed. If i have like 80 percent, I'll apply, assming the other 20% isn't vital to the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Also keep in mind even if you don't meet the requirements but they have a lesser job they're trying to fill (but not advertised yet), they may consider you for that too.
This happened to me about eight years ago. I was one of two finalists for a job that I thought in all honesty I'd be a twitch over my head in. I didn't get the job, but a month later they called and offered me a different position that paid almost as much and I was completely qualified for.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
This is SO true.

I've got a business idea. A firm that specializes in quality job placement: they dig deep on which hiring tools work, which are garbage, learn the culture of businesses, test applicant skills, and just general matchmake GOOD hires. Make recommendations for future hiring patterns, as well, to preserve companies from losing massive internal expertise when the last of the properly trained staff retires. HR as it should be.
I disagree. For every college grad not getting hired, two are. We only hear about the ones with $150K in student loans working at Starbucks.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attigin2012 View Post
Agreed. That is what I find is that I have all required and most of the preferred. But on the healthcare and banking, I end up passing those up because of that one thing. It seems that we both miss out on a great job fit due to one requirement that could most likely be trained in short order.
But why train you when there is another applicant who has all the skills you do, plus the requirement you don't?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
If you find a dream job, someone else will get it because their daddy said so. Sorry

Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
If the job is in IT like software development, I would do it. I think rarely does anyone meet all the requirements of an IT job. There are just too many flavors of everything so as long as you have related experience, you should be good. I have been on interviews where the interviewer still feels clever by asking specific obscure commands that would take 2 seconds to Google or look up in a book. I usually don't do well on those interviews because unless I was using that specific command yesterday, I'm not going to remember. The good interviewers ask me how I would solve problems instead of stuff I memorized.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
If you find a dream job, someone else will get it because their daddy said so. Sorry
Uh yeah. I've gotten six jobs since my father passed. I don't think he's telling anyone to hire me from the grave.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
I've done this several times in my life. Never did homecare. Found two great part time homecare jobs. Just showed up and answered the questions honestly. Got the jobs without a problem. Never worked in an office, but got a full time medical records coordination job around 2006.

My current job called for a tool maker with at least 5 years experience, CNC programming experience, masterCAM, Solidworks, tool and die experience... Told them I was willing to work cheaper than someone with the required experience and got the job without a problem. Been at it for a year, the raises have been good, and I love the job.

You won't get anywhere unless you're willing to take a chance.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
I typically apply if I feel I meet 75% - 80% of the job's description. I've also found I don't get callbacks unless I meet that much of the requirements as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
If anyone is applying for jobs for which they, "don't meet many of the requirements for" (as per the thread title), then they are an idiot and are wasting a lot of people's time. They are also just mucking up the works for those applying for those positions who actually are qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
But why train you when there is another applicant who has all the skills you do, plus the requirement you don't?
This. Yes, there likely will come a time when companies need to swing back towards investing more time and resources training new hires due to a lack of fully qualified candidates. But at the moment, why should a company do that when they can find applicants who do not require that additional investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search