Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,859 times

Advertisements

I'm here to shed some light on some of the recruiters I've dealt with in the past few years. A few weeks ago I met with a recruiter from Aerotek, supposedly the biggest recruiting company in the US. He contacted me through Linkedin and expressed opportunities for me (I'm currently employed). I was not impressed with their efforts at all. I've met many recruiters throughout my years and they are all the same. Only call you that one time they have a job opening that their computer system deem is a match for me. I feel like a recruiter should help me find a job, not just call me when something happens to pop up, and they could make some commission off me.

Anyway, while I was waiting for the recruiter to show up, another job seeker was in the waiting room with me. His recruiter arrives at 4:00pm and they go into a conference room close by. I overhear the following:

Recruiter: What time did you get here? Because I thought our meeting was at 3:30pm?
Seeker: I was here at 3:20pm.
Recruiter: Oh? Because I didn't get the call from the receptionist until 3:40pm.

That didn't sit well with me. So the receptionist notified you at 3:40pm and you still waited 20 minutes before coming out to see him? He knew someone was waiting and made them wait?

Then the recruiter goes on to belittle the experience at the seeker had. Saying stuff like, "Obviously your tactics are not working if you're unemployed for a year." Just very rude in general.

When my recruiter finally showed, he was more professional but still tried to talk down my experience as well. Keep in mind, I'm fully employed and just looking for new work, so I have leverage to tell him no. He goes on about a new position that may be right for me, but offering less than what I'm asking. I found out through my own job search, that same position he referred to is offering more than my asking price. So not sure what kind of game he was trying to play.

I don't think I'll do business with Aerotek anymore in the future. Sounds like their training program is to teach recruiters to psychologically break down the job seekers so they have more control and leverage. I have a private small recruiter that I'm dealing with now and they are wonderful. Helps me look instead of keeping me in their system.

That's my story, just wanted to share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM

361 posts, read 922,146 times
Yeah I don't know How a recruiter can talk down to an applicant. Recruiters know almost nothing about the positions they're recruiting for - they're Psych Majors who just know how to read data off a screen and compare it to a resume. They know jack s*it about Plumbing, Accounting, Programming or whatever the position they're trying to fill is...

Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,093 times
Recruiters are some of the dumbest people I have ever met and dealt with. My brother was telling me not too long ago he was about to b**slap his recruiters across the face for being so damn stupid. I have the same feelings about most of the recruiters I have dealt in the past as well. The decisions they make, the people they pick for interviews are just mind boggling at times.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM

361 posts, read 922,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Recruiters are some of the dumbest people I have ever met and dealt with. My brother was telling me not too long ago he was about to b**slap his recruiters across the face for being so damn stupid. I have the same feelings about most of the recruiters I have dealt in the past as well. The decisions they make, the people they pick for interviews are just mind boggling at times.
He should've. The recruiter I was working with to get my current job was half-assing it. I told him if he didn't get his ass in gear I was going to call my Senator and tell her that the recruiter wasn't helping a veteran find work. Two hours later I get a call from the Director of all the job recruiting centers in the state saying they "have a position for me".

You gotta kick these idiots in the balls sometimes

Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Yeah, I hate Aerotek. They and Kelly are ignoring my job applications for jobs I'm qualified for in Chicago.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
I find recruiters to be very confusing, and I'm not always sure WHAT to believe.

I'll get calls about positions that I've already applied directly to the hiring company for. The recruiter will say "they've changed their hiring practices, they're using us now. You have to go back into your online ap and say that you heard about the position through us." Could be true, or not. How would I know.

I'll also get calls about temp-to-hire positions where I know more about the job they the recruiter does. One was for a job that required traveling one week or more each month. I didn't apply. The recruiter calls me about the job and didn't know anything about travel. I found the online positing (on the company's website) and sent it to her.

This same recruiter, when she interviewed me, promised me everything! If I had to travel "far" for a position (1hr+), she'd try to get me $X/hr. But she keeps calling me about jobs that are half that rate!

I did land a great interview through Adecco. To bad the position is now on hold.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I'm here to shed some light on some of the recruiters I've dealt with in the past few years. A few weeks ago I met with a recruiter from Aerotek, supposedly the biggest recruiting company in the US. He contacted me through Linkedin and expressed opportunities for me (I'm currently employed). I was not impressed with their efforts at all. I've met many recruiters throughout my years and they are all the same. Only call you that one time they have a job opening that their computer system deem is a match for me. I feel like a recruiter should help me find a job, not just call me when something happens to pop up, and they could make some commission off me.

You do realize that the recruiter is paid on commission, right? They are only paid when they get a placement. It is YOUR job to find a job for yourself. The recruiter's job is to place people into openings. YOU are not paying the recruiter a penny, the company pays them. And the commission is a percentage of the placement yearly salary, so the recruiter is going to find the best person for the job. If that is not you, they are not going to call.

Anyway, while I was waiting for the recruiter to show up, another job seeker was in the waiting room with me. His recruiter arrives at 4:00pm and they go into a conference room close by. I overhear the following:

Recruiter: What time did you get here? Because I thought our meeting was at 3:30pm?
Seeker: I was here at 3:20pm.
Recruiter: Oh? Because I didn't get the call from the receptionist until 3:40pm.

That didn't sit well with me. So the receptionist notified you at 3:40pm and you still waited 20 minutes before coming out to see him? He knew someone was waiting and made them wait?

Maybe because the guy was late? And I am guessing he was late, and that the receptionist called the recruiter as soon as the person got there.

Then the recruiter goes on to belittle the experience at the seeker had. Saying stuff like, "Obviously your tactics are not working if you're unemployed for a year." Just very rude in general.

While you may not like the way he said it, specifically how can you argue the point? If someone has been looking for a year and has not found a job, well, I think it is pretty safe to say it is time to try a new approach...

When my recruiter finally showed, he was more professional but still tried to talk down my experience as well. Keep in mind, I'm fully employed and just looking for new work, so I have leverage to tell him no. He goes on about a new position that may be right for me, but offering less than what I'm asking. I found out through my own job search, that same position he referred to is offering more than my asking price. So not sure what kind of game he was trying to play.

They have the offer at a certain rate, happens all the time. As the recruiter is paid a percentage of what you are paid, he is going to get you the best possible rate. The only game is the one you decided he was playing.

I don't think I'll do business with Aerotek anymore in the future.

As you said, they are the biggest recruiter out there, guessing they will survive.

Sounds like their training program is to teach recruiters to psychologically break down the job seekers so they have more control and leverage. I have a private small recruiter that I'm dealing with now and they are wonderful. Helps me look instead of keeping me in their system.

Yay. So you found what works for you. Well done. Other than to complain that you did not like them, what was your point?

That's my story, just wanted to share it.
Sounds like a lot of complaints about how things aren't how you WANT them to be...nothing in there about how awful the recruiter was, just that you didn't like him. Fair enough, but just because You don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. I hate mushrooms and olives, apparently others like them as they are still sold....

Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, I hate Aerotek. They and Kelly are ignoring my job applications for jobs I'm qualified for in Chicago.
Why is it them? If there are 2 companies "ignoring" you, maybe you should take a look at your resume and presentation and see why. Maybe they are not ignoring you but rather passing you over because your experience, or presentation of that experience, are not what they are looking for...

Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Maybe those recruiters are ignoring me because I'm 44 or long term unemployed, because when I apply to companies they don't ignore me if I'm qualified. And OTHER recruiter say I have a great resume.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Maybe those recruiters are ignoring me because I'm 44 or long term unemployed, because when I apply to companies they don't ignore me if I'm qualified. And OTHER recruiter say I have a great resume.
Well, your age should not be on the resume, so guessing not. And you shouldn't have jobs on there that are older than about 10 years, so that should not be it either. And the long term unemployed is, quite honestly, an excuse. And one I get tired of. People have decided that is the new thing they can use to avoid looking into whether or not you need to change what you are doing.

And, if the other recruiter who says you have a great resume is right: 1. Why aren't you working with that recruiter? 2. Why are you "long term unemployed"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search