Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Fortunately, in my most recent interview, all five of those factors were in my favor and I should find out sometime this week if I am hired.

I do disagree on your mood comment as I had an interview a long time ago when someone interrupted our interview twice to pull the interviewer away and it affected his mood...was more stressed than when it started. The look of the applicant can certainly be a reason, but it is definitely not the only thing that affects mood. I do agree with your five factors for success.

Oh ok, I thought you meant the interviewer had a unpleasant look when meeting the applicant for the 1st time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

115 posts, read 195,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
The last job I interviewed for I had doubts I would get.
The young lady interviewing me was very " pro company" and enthusiastic about the company.

After she asked me to tell her a few things about myself, I asked her to tell me more about the company .

( yes, I was really interested)

She perked up and explained the history of the company in detail and the next morning I got a phone call stating I was hired.

In short-------------show genuine enthusiasm about the company you may be working for.
^This!

Research, research, research. If you have a thorough knowledge of the company and position your're applying for, it shows.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post
Forget about saying you're well qualified at this and you have experience at that. How can a candidate, who doesn't have direct experience, go about making a positive impact on the interviewer?

Do charm and personality work? Sense of humor?

You answered your question.

If the interviewee asked you to come in you already have the qualifications. At that stage, the interviewee is just checking to see if you are a perfect "fit" for the company.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM

286 posts, read 850,947 times
Always know your accomplishments no matter small you think it is. Rehearse your accomplishments starting with the problem that needed to be solved and how you solved it and the results of your work. You need concrete examples, not generalized things.

Know your strengths and weaknesses. When talking about your weakness, tell how you were able to get around it or able to change it in your work environment and how you turned it into a strength.

You may not have direct experience, but you do have experiences. Be able to take your experiences and talk about your transferable skills that can help you in this job.

Research the company and the particular department (business unit, etc) you are interviewing for. Then you know what they do and expect and talk about how you can accomplish their goals that you found out about in your research.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,043 times
if it's a male boss, open your blouse a bit to show cleavage. also remove your wedding ring from your hand. leave other jewelry on that makes you look feminine. wear good perfume, nice makeup. make yourself "available."

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
if it's a male boss, open your blouse a bit to show cleavage. also remove your wedding ring from your hand. leave other jewelry on that makes you look feminine. wear good perfume, nice makeup. make yourself "available."
That sounds like a strategy in a different era, but it is darn funny! It could backfire if the interviewer is gay, but most are straight.

These days the interviewer might think you are trying to "set him up" for a harrassment charge down the road. Then again, it might work!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Just look like you already received some good news before the interview which would be attractive

Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
I give the interviewer a big ol bear hug at the end. I may or may not get the job, but they will remember me.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
I do a lot of technical interviews, so here is my take from the technical perspective.

If it is listed in the posting, I am going to ask about it. I know that no one candidate is going to have every technical skill we desire. But, you've had a couple of days to get ready for the interview. You have known about this posting for weeks (often months). If you don't know something about one of the technical skills listed, go learn something about it so you can say more than "I don't know".
Example: If I have a listed requirement for parcel fabric experience, it takes less than an hour to learn the basics of parcel fabric. My favorite question is, "Can you explain what a least squares adjustment is?" I had exactly one candidate ever say, "I saw that in the job description and looked it up last week..." They got hired.

Think on your feet. Okay, so you don't have experience leading a geopspatial project. I bet you have -some- sort of leadership experience or you had heavy technical involvement in a geospatial project somewhere. When you can suss out your own transferable skills and relate that, I am impressed. Your answer to any "Have you ever" question about your work experience should never be no. Find something, anything, that shows you have some semblance of the skills being explored with that question.

If you know you have something unique and related, tell me when you hit a relevant spot. It should have been on your resume already. Sometimes we don't list a certain skill because no one really every has it. "You asked about experience with FME and python. I have not really used either one, but I have used GDAL extensively." I hear something like that and I am going to tell the hiring manager, "They know GDAL, that's impressive. They will have no trouble picking up FME and python."

(These are a bunch of geospatial terms I am throwing out, but FME and GDAL do the same thing basically, just with different interfaces. Python is a language often used with GDAL, and use similar logic. Least squares adjustment is a fundamental concept to parcel fabric, which is a specific data model for mapping out tax parcels. All of these things can be figured out with a little research before the interview.)

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post
Forget about saying you're well qualified at this and you have experience at that. How can a candidate, who doesn't have direct experience, go about making a positive impact on the interviewer?

Do charm and personality work? Sense of humor?
Here are some general ones I always use :

1.What is your ideal candidate and then explain why you fit

2. What are the challenges of this job and explain why you fit

3. Tell me about yourself practice this answer so you sound good and only talk about education and
work experience how you are a good fit.

4. HR mgr tell me about how much you made. Deflect and tell them what is the range of pay and then
say it's agreeable ask another question and change subject

5 . Don't use weak language....I hope, I think, it needs to be I know I can do this job

6. Do you speech filler, um I like, uh

7. You should record answer questions and see if your um's and like's

8. In your thank you e-mail thank them and expand on why you are a good fit for the job to remind them why you are a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search