U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,416,587 times

Advertisements

Very interesting. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You have the cause and effect in the wrong direction.

When the interview style is rapid fire technical questions, they are interviewing a large number of people and screening them (after all, they are using recruiters to find you, and recruiters lie). Because of the large number of people, they inevitably get completely behind schedule and you are left waiting. In all the interviews I have done so far, I don't even have a clue if the candidate got their early or not. I do know if they get there late, and to be honest, if they are late we just skip them if they have not called yet.

I think you are right about the interviewer being late (as opposed to previous interviews running over). That means their day is going badly, and that is going to affect the interview.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 AM

You are right. Hopefully my post helps others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
The person arriving early annoys me. If I set an interview for 11;30, I set it at that time because I have time then. If the person shows up at 10:45, I am busy doing the same thing that kept me from scheduling a 10:45 interview in the first place. And the interruptions make my even more annoyed. Someone has to tell me that candidate is there. 1 interruption. The same person, about 5 minutes later, reminds me the candidates is there, likely because they are tired of having the candidate in their area waiting. 2 interruptions. At this point, I am not getting anything done, so I put aside what I was doing to take the interview early. Hoe is that not annoying.

As for being late myself? I TRY to not do this, but as I am in HR now and retail management before this, both are positions in which fires appear that need to be put out prior to the interview, as much as I wish this was never the case.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 AM

...yes would also like to add that I have observed (at least in my case) that it is not a good idea to not sit in the reception area to stay warm, unless you can get away with not announcing your presence like you mentioned.

I have had receptionists try to announce my presence early. I have even experimented with telling them my experience as to why I don't want them to announce my presence. That worked very well....ALWAYS got the job when I had them put their phone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
^^THIS^^

I always make plans to arrive at the location an hour before the scheduled time (traffic here is awful and unpredictable), but I always sit in my car. I only "announce" my arrival to the receptionist ten minutes before the appointment time. This is for interviews and any important meeting.

As a hiring manager, it is annoying when I get a call saying someone is in the lobby more than 10 minutes before a meeting.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 AM

Extremely true! It might show what your future dealings with them would be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
If they can't at least offer an apology for being late, then it does not bode well as to how they treat others. Respect goes both ways.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 AM

I think if the job should be the candidates then if that were to apply...unless there were something SERIOUSLY wrong with the candidate. If the candidate were willing to make that much effort, then they should be rewarded for their efforts.

Quote:
This actually makes me wonder about something from the perspective of an HR person.

Say as a candidate you show up at the expected time, and clearly the interview is not going to happen on time, but you do have the flexibility to come back later in the day (maybe you took the day off from work).

Is it okay to offer to come back at a later time that day? Would it even be a good idea to make that offer? I know as an interviewer a few times, our interview group has had moments when it would have been great if a candidate was willing to move their time with no notice, but we don't ask them to.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM

24 posts, read 40,767 times
Incredibly rude both ways, and both signal that it is not a good fit. A person showing up for an interview 45 minutes early shows that he or she is socially inept at best, and downright disrespectful of the interviewing committee's schedule at worst. Likewise, an interviewer showing up an hour late and not apologizing signals that he or she does not put much of a premium on the process or the applicant's time, and such an interviewer is likely to continue being disrespectful if you should get hired.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 AM

24,854 posts, read 33,302,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I may get to the interviewers building a half hour early, but I'll sit in my car for at least 15 minutes. Or if I'm downtown, I'll find some place else to wait. I don't want to put anyone "one the spot" and show up too early. But showing up for a meeting 45 minutes early? Why??

It's not like the "old" days, when you went to an interview and had to fill out the application in the lobby -- that's already been done online.
this.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM

7,237 posts, read 11,869,353 times
While neither should happen, ultimately it's better to be too early than to be late.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 AM

7,421 posts, read 14,763,403 times
Quote:
This actually makes me wonder about something from the perspective of an HR person.

Say as a candidate you show up at the expected time, and clearly the interview is not going to happen on time, but you do have the flexibility to come back later in the day (maybe you took the day off from work).

Is it okay to offer to come back at a later time that day? Would it even be a good idea to make that offer? I know as an interviewer a few times, our interview group has had moments when it would have been great if a candidate was willing to move their time with no notice, but we don't ask them to.
i'm not an hr person, but i can't imagine this would be looked at as anything but positive. it's simply being considerate, and flexible. both great qualities for an employee.

showing up super early, while it's slightly preferable to being late, is not considerate and no one should ever do it. wait in your car, wait in a coffee shop, figure something out so you are walking in the door no more than 10-15 minutes before the interview start time. showing up and telling the receptionist not to call yet is better than having them call, but it's still awkward for the receptionist and the interviewer may find out what happened. always treat everyone you meet at an interview with as much respect and consideration as you would your interviewer, because a smart manager will ask those people what they thought of you.

as for the interviewer showing up late, yes, that is rude of them. but i do think that if you have a tough interview in that circumstance, it's because: 1. they're just a generally rude person and this is how they treat everyone, or 2. they are having a bad day and that's why they're so behind. or a combination of the 2.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 11,869,353 times
On the employee's side, things happen.

Maybe they were having car trouble, had to get a ride someone from else and the latest they could get that person to drop them off was an hour before the scheduled interview time.

Should that automatically disqualify them from the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search