U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 PM
YAZ

7,260 posts, read 12,892,350 times

Advertisements

I do the mapquest thing too.....only got burned once.

My fault, didn't notice the discrepancy in locations as they had moved a few months prior.

I was sooooo late......and no, no job offer.

One of the questions the hiring manager asked was:

"Do you have a problem getting to work on time"?

I replied:

"No, it's just the interviews that give me trouble".

Hey, I was just trying to add some humor to the situation and all I got was a dirty look.

One time I showed up to an interview at my standard 15 minute early mark, only to be told by the receptionist that the interview had been canceled. I politely explained to her that I had taken the morning off at my present job...explicitly to do this interview.

The owner of the company happened to be in earshot and was obviously irked at the hiring manager.

So....the owner interviewed me.

And I received and accepted an offer on the spot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM

7,421 posts, read 14,776,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
One time I showed up to an interview at my standard 15 minute early mark, only to be told by the receptionist that the interview had been canceled. I politely explained to her that I had taken the morning off at my present job...explicitly to do this interview.

The owner of the company happened to be in earshot and was obviously irked at the hiring manager.

So....the owner interviewed me.

And I received and accepted an offer on the spot.
good story, blowing off an applicant like that is beyond the pale. i've had that happen to me with a skype interview (i had to bring in my laptop, arrange for an office to use, arrange for something time sensitive to be covered, wear makeup, etc). they cancelled at 10:59 for an 11am interview. nothing good came of it though, we just rescheduled. it was a recruiter or i don't think i would have continued the process after that.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,333,974 times
I can't think of one valid reason for arriving too early. Just sit in your car. Or find a store/restaurant/etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:13 PM

799 posts, read 1,450,183 times
Yes, being really early to an interview is just as bad as being late.

A few weeks ago I was hiring an assistant and had a huge pool of applicants. I took a whole day and scheduled back to back interview in 40 minute slots with a short break for lunch. Everything was going fine until two people showed up really early-- one an hour early and one abt 2hrs early. The waiting area was right outside my office, so the two of them sat there while other candidates passed by. They started chatting with one another, and even chatted with people who were leaving my office asking how it went. It was awkward for the other candidates.

As this job involves managing my schedule, it is important to have people who know how to stick to one. Neither of these two got the job.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,351,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just sit in your car if you are that early. Problem solved.
That's what I do. I listen to music or something in my car and then walk in the front door exactly 10 minutes before the interview is scheduled.

What pisses me off is when the person conducting the interview is late. It speaks volumes about the kind of person you will be working with if they are not professional enough to show up on time as well.

Five or ten minutes late doesn't bother me too much. Anything over that and I start to think about walking out.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:38 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,659,281 times
I usually just sit in my car and wait at least 15 minutes beforehand to go inside - especially if its a big office and I have to go thru security and check-in.

My last interview I did arrive a half hour prior to, because I had worked with this company in the past and wanted to speak to my old co-workers and boss who would be helping me setup. It was a video conference interview with another location.

That would be my only exception.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 54,856,387 times
I remember 45 mins early years ago and when I went in I didn't think anything was wrong. I just feared being late since the company was far from where I lived.

But maybe if I just told the receptionist that I am not expecting to be seen right now because I know i'm little early things would have been a little better

Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM

7,421 posts, read 14,776,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But maybe if I just told the receptionist that I am not expecting to be seen right now because I know i'm little early things would have been a little better
that's what i'd do if i really had no choice but walk in the door early. but it's still awkward and there's not always a receptionist. and sometimes the receptionist calls the interviewer anyway. it's better to just avoid it if you can.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 54,856,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that's what i'd do if i really had no choice but walk in the door early. but it's still awkward and there's not always a receptionist. and sometimes the receptionist calls the interviewer anyway. it's better to just avoid it if you can.

Yeah I that's why I made sure all the interviews were in walking distance from my house after that experience.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM

24,851 posts, read 33,342,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Yeah I that's why I made sure all the interviews were in walking distance from my house after that experience.
ya... because that's the only other option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search