Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Unless your dumb those are easy to pass.
Agreed, there is a person on CD that sells these services and claims you can't game them I disagree I have always answered the way they want you to and advanced along.

Speaking of these and hope bunny and hiring managers see this post I just finished one with what I believe are illegal questions.

1. The asked my age not birth date?
2. They asked if I vote liberal or conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I can pass them but I still don't get called for an interview. Maybe strongly agree/strongly disagree isn't the right way to answer them.........

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I can pass them but I still don't get called for an interview. Maybe strongly agree/strongly disagree isn't the right way to answer them.........
I answer strongly on ones that I know are critical for a good sale person. If you answer too many that way it looks suspect or your an extremist IMO.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
You're at the mall and in the window at a small store you see the now hiring sign. You tell them you’d like to apply and they give you an application. You fill it out and all they do is put it under the counter and say thank you and you never hear from them and the help wanted ad is still in the window week after week. Is this "gatekeeping"?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
You're at the mall and in the window at a small store you see the now hiring sign. You tell them you’d like to apply and they give you an application. You fill it out and all they do is put it under the counter and say thank you and you never hear from them and the help wanted ad is still in the window week after week. Is this "gatekeeping"?

Sounds like it.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but I would consider it possibly we don't want to hire you but are afraid you will sue us for discrimination. Gatekeeping, to me in sales mean preventing me from getting to who I need to speak with.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Combination of both the job seeker and the employer (admitted I am a bit biased more towards the employer). Now I could write a whole lenghty post about

1) Outrageous qualifcations needed for a job
2) Entry level jobs requiring 1-2 years exp wtf??
3) Lazy and no career direction college grads
4) and etc...

but I wont, simply in my eyes both employer and jobseeker are too blame. However I dont see much value in assigning blame, you can spend hours upon hours, weeks upon weeks being angry, aggravated about not having a job, who to blame etc... Rather Id focus now on just getting whatever you can get and just working up from there. yes it sucks, yes it blows but it is what one has to do if one wants to get by.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Maybe they just don't want to hire you. You can't get every job you apply for!

Also I think something is wrong if you can't get a job and your an able-bodied person. Your resume sucks you know what, you look like a bum when you drop off an application if its an in-store application, your job experiences suck. Something.

Which is it parried?

You sound like your applying to jobs left and right, but you don't even get an interview! Something is up. What are you applying to...CEO of a fortune 500?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Agreed, there is a person on CD that sells these services and claims you can't game them I disagree I have always answered the way they want you to and advanced along.

Speaking of these and hope bunny and hiring managers see this post I just finished one with what I believe are illegal questions.

1. The asked my age not birth date?
2. They asked if I vote liberal or conservative?
Agreed. These questions aren't rocket science.

Q:You are a Team Player.

A: Strongly disagree

Like who does that. I know people who flunked those tests because they answered how they truly are! What employer wants to hire someone who isn't a team player? Seriously people...again not rocket science.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Maybe they just don't want to hire you. You can't get every job you apply for!

Also I think something is wrong if you can't get a job and your an able-bodied person. Your resume sucks you know what, you look like a bum when you drop off an application if its an in-store application, your job experiences suck. Something.

Which is it parried?

You sound like your applying to jobs left and right, but you don't even get an interview! Something is up. What are you applying to...CEO of a fortune 500?

There is still are more jobseekers than jobs. I have been looking for a job for awhile, and getting interviews are near impossible unless you are a tech geek or sales pro. You can do all the right things- get the resume reviewed, network, etc. and still get radio silence or the thanks but no thanks letter.
I pick up temp things here and there, but it's still bad out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search