Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times

Advertisements

In order for me to pursue community college for some kind of degree or certificate there would have to be a very good reason. Out here the community college degrees offered are almost worthless. There are no jobs for any of them out here. Besides, if I can't even get a job sweeping floors what makes you think I will be any closer to getting a job with some puny little community college degree? Heck, it's not even really "college", lol. Then I'd be stuck in the "experience" trap.

America is BROKEN, and the blame lies between a joint combination of both employers and past and present governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
If you want to play the victim role, you can find a ton of excuses WHY you can't find work - you don't have this skill set, the economy is terrible, etc.

If you take responsibility for your life, you create your own way. For inspiration, go back to the Depression and look at stories of people who made it, despite their circumstances - people who sold sandwiches on the street that later became family restaurants.

You can always find excuses, if you are so inclined.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Here's how you create your own luck.

According to the person who said luck by definition is something that just happens, then you COULD lie in bed all day and wait for the mailman to bring you "surprises," OR you could get up early, get dressed, and hit the streets or do some research on what you want to do and create really innovative ways to do it (like if there is a company you want to work for, research them top-to-bottom and come up with CREATIVE ways to get in the door) . . .if you get an interview, put all of your energy into it - create an amazing cover letter with the TRUTH about yourself and WHY you are so passionate about the company).

Why don't you people who can't get jobs become entrepreneurs? Why don't you start online businesses or do something innovative? Take a basket of sandwiches and drinks down to an office (real estate offices are great for this because the people are too busy to go to lunch). DO SOMETHING!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i mean, for example, i recently applied for a job (kind of a sideline job) answering customer service e-mails for a dating site. i was a close second to someone who was a longtime user of the site. i was told that if a new position opens up, it's mine, but i still didn't get the job. so if i was to take your advice and blame myself, i guess i could.... start cruising for dudes on the internet just in case something like this comes up again?
It's obviously all your fault you didn't plan for each and every employment possibility. You are a leech on society and lack initiative. Oh, you pounded on 1,500 doors, well so what, Joe over there pounded on 2,000 doors. See, Joe is a "maker" and you are a "taker". I'm sorry, you should've made your own luck.

/Sarcasm

On a serious note, all these know-it-alls on this thread apparently don't understand basic supply and demand as it relates to the job market But I'm sure they all feel good looking down their noses at the unemployed and believe they are deserving of everything they have in life and that they never once benefited from an ounce of luck. You really have to be a d-bag of the highest level to believe s**t like that.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
It's obviously all your fault you didn't plan for each and every employment possibility. You are a leech on society and lack initiative. Oh, you pounded on 1,500 doors, well so what, Joe over there pounded on 2,000 doors. See, Joe is a "maker" and you are a "taker". I'm sorry, you should've made your own luck.

/Sarcasm

On a serious note, all these know-it-alls on this thread apparently don't understand basic supply and demand as it relates to the job market But I'm sure they all feel good looking down their noses at the unemployed and believe they are deserving of everything they have in life and that they never once benefited from an ounce of luck. You really have to be a d-bag of the highest level to believe s**t like that.
Despite your rudeness, I will respond to your "supply and demand" comment. If you look at things in a strictly linear way - and do the numbers and just think of yourself as a number, you are going to place yourself in a victim role.

If you take responsibility for your choices and your life and get creative, you can become successful despite the numbers . . . look to history for inspiration of people who came from nothing and made something of themselves - or just look at more recent immigrants (Vietnamese boat people who started nail salons, Chinese immigrants who started the new "Chinese Massage" that is booming in cities) . . . none of these people "should" have had a chance, but they got creative and DID something. They didn't say, "Sheer numbers indicate we will be failures so therefore, we won't even try." No, people who immigrate here have exceptional drive . . .they don't hang out on computers all day making excuses and whining and then insulting people who challenge their mindsets.

"Making your own luck" is a non-linear concept - you succeed DESPITE the numbers . . .you don't give up, no matter what! You innovate, you try, you fail, you pick yourself up and try again . . . do something DIFFERENT to get different results.

Last edited by imcurious; 05-17-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i feel like people are talking past each other here. NO ONE is saying "don't try" in this thread.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Exactly. It's more like "try really hard, be creative, but also realize s**t happens, somebody else may be better, you cannot control everything". Also, I'm not even speaking as someone who's looked for a job in the last 10 years, but as someone who actually has some empathy and realizes the dire straits the unemployed are in.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM

So if you know everything, what's the problem then if people keep filling out applications and sending resumes and getting no interviews? For ANY job even flipping burgers?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
So if you know everything, what's the problem then if people keep filling out applications and sending resumes and getting no interviews? For ANY job even flipping burgers?

Top 3:
1. Experience listed on resume not relevant to the job posted
2. Terribly written resume
3. Lack of education or other qualifications

If you send a resume with PHD degree to a pizza delivery job posting, just saying, that resume goes to the trash can very quickly.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM

All I have is a GED so I just look like any other old joe schmoe loser applying for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search