Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Had an interview for pretty much the exact job title I want. I really want this job. The company location kinda sucks but I've started looking outside of my home state of CA to get this job so being able to drive for an hour or two to see my friends and family would be nice.

It was a 75 mile drive from my home to the location. So I come in, HR rep has me do a paper application...like the ones you do when you apply for a high school job. After that, he gives me a reading and fact checking test. Figure I did pretty good because he starts going over my cover letter (thats a first) and my resume. The interview goes great and says he wants me to met with the VP and Jr VP for the department I'd be working in. Its a small company about 60 employees so VP really means manager. Driving the HR interview, I stated relocating isn't an issue. I stated that several times since he commented that would be an awful commute (thru Los Angeles).

So the two managers come in, stated its been a busy day for them. They look over my paperwork and tell me, "well, we haven't had the chance to review your papers so tell me about yourself." I find this extremely insulting but I tell my education and work experience. So as I'm doing that, they look over my forms and have some follow up questions. They asked me about the location as well, I tell them I'm willing and able to relocate. They asked me when I would be able to start, I tell them 2 weeks. I have friends within a reasonable drive and I can stay there until I get my own place settled.

I think that interview went well, probably a 7/10. They say the HR guy is going to come back. HR guy comes back and tells me they have a 1-2 other interviews scheduled and they will call me in a week or two. They made it sound like they needed someone asap. After, he asks me if I'm gonna go back to work for the rest of the day (work a half day). I tell him I likely will. Then he tells me that some of the other applicants don't have jobs and at least I have a fall back option. This statement was very alarming...I see that as a "you didn't get this job so its a good thing you have one now".

My good buddy at work tells me I'm overreacting, which I very well be. I had a very similar situation happen last year. Smaller company. HR loved me. Passed the test. HR gets managers to interview me even though they are busy. Managers are kinda upset since they have things to do.

Am I reading into things too much? That's kinda what I do best is read into things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
Amazing on how people assume and "read minds". You really don't know with what was said actually is going to make a difference with the overall process.

Wait a week and contact the HR person to find out if they are still interested. If they have filled the job ask them for some feedback to assist you with future interviews.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
IMO, you are reading too much into it. They are interviewing other candidates as well so they cannot be sure whether you are the one just yet ... so, technically, they are correct in making that statement.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
he tells me that some of the other applicants don't have jobs and at least I have a fall back option.
"That's because there's a high demand for my services sir."

Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
He might have felt bad about your drive and was trying to console you?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"That's because there's a high demand for my services sir."
Thats a good line. Noting it myself! For me I'd say something more casual like "its because I'm THAT good." lol Your wording is better.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Had an interview for pretty much the exact job title I want. I really want this job. The company location kinda sucks but I've started looking outside of my home state of CA to get this job so being able to drive for an hour or two to see my friends and family would be nice.

It was a 75 mile drive from my home to the location. So I come in, HR rep has me do a paper application...like the ones you do when you apply for a high school job. After that, he gives me a reading and fact checking test. Figure I did pretty good because he starts going over my cover letter (thats a first) and my resume. The interview goes great and says he wants me to met with the VP and Jr VP for the department I'd be working in. Its a small company about 60 employees so VP really means manager. Driving the HR interview, I stated relocating isn't an issue. I stated that several times since he commented that would be an awful commute (thru Los Angeles).

So the two managers come in, stated its been a busy day for them. They look over my paperwork and tell me, "well, we haven't had the chance to review your papers so tell me about yourself." I find this extremely insulting but I tell my education and work experience. So as I'm doing that, they look over my forms and have some follow up questions. They asked me about the location as well, I tell them I'm willing and able to relocate. They asked me when I would be able to start, I tell them 2 weeks. I have friends within a reasonable drive and I can stay there until I get my own place settled.

I think that interview went well, probably a 7/10. They say the HR guy is going to come back. HR guy comes back and tells me they have a 1-2 other interviews scheduled and they will call me in a week or two. They made it sound like they needed someone asap. After, he asks me if I'm gonna go back to work for the rest of the day (work a half day). I tell him I likely will. Then he tells me that some of the other applicants don't have jobs and at least I have a fall back option. This statement was very alarming...I see that as a "you didn't get this job so its a good thing you have one now".

My good buddy at work tells me I'm overreacting, which I very well be. I had a very similar situation happen last year. Smaller company. HR loved me. Passed the test. HR gets managers to interview me even though they are busy. Managers are kinda upset since they have things to do.

Am I reading into things too much? That's kinda what I do best is read into things...

From experience it sounds like they were not interested because of the reasons below

1. We have other candidates to interview
2. They will call you in a week or.......two

Most of the time when you hear that the interviewer is not interested. I could be wrong but from experience I have never heard 2 weeks or other people are scheduled to be interviewed when I was selected for a job. Hope it works out but if it doesn't then just focus on the next opportunity

BTW: When they asked "Tell me about yourself" they wanted you to discuss a couple of your personality traits that make you a good fit for their environment and the job not education and work experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM

136 posts, read 460,896 times
I hate it when interviewers don't even extend the courtesy to read over an applicant's profile prior to the person walking in to interview for the job. That being said, they are in the power position and really owe you nothing. So I think that reciting your qualifications without hesitation or a chip on your shoulder was definitely the right move in this situation.

If you get the job, then awesome.... and you can chalk this whole conversation up to over thinking things, which is something we all tend to do from time to time.

If you don't get hired, you can chalk it up to your instincts being correct. In hindsight you may find that it may have been for the best anyway. It says a lot about a corporate culture, to be so dismissive toward potential applicants. (It makes you wonder how day-to-day employees may be treated). The good thing is that you currently have a job. I believe that it is that it's best to feel good about a company before deciding to work for them. If you leave an interview with doubts or a sour taste in your mouth, its a higher likely-hood that your entire tenure will be characterized by that.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonik View Post
I hate it when interviewers don't even extend the courtesy to read over an applicant's profile prior to the person walking in to interview for the job. That being said, they are in the power position and really owe you nothing. So I think that reciting your qualifications without hesitation or a chip on your shoulder was definitely the right move in this situation.

If you get the job, then awesome.... and you can chalk this whole conversation up to over thinking things, which is something we all tend to do from time to time.

If you don't get hired, you can chalk it up to your instincts being correct. In hindsight you may find that it may have been for the best anyway. It says a lot about a corporate culture, to be so dismissive toward potential applicants. (It makes you wonder how day-to-day employees may be treated). The good thing is that you currently have a job. I believe that it is that it's best to feel good about a company before deciding to work for them. If you leave an interview with doubts or a sour taste in your mouth, its a higher likely-hood that your entire tenure will be characterized by that.

When they asked "tell me about yourself" they were not looking for a summary of his education and work history because that's already on the resume. They wanted to know who he was as a person and how that personality trait can help him succeed in the position and with the people who are already there

Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

106 posts, read 223,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
When they asked "tell me about yourself" they were not looking for a summary of his education and work history because that's already on the resume. They wanted to know who he was as a person and how that personality trait can help him succeed in the position and with the people who are already there
And they probably also wanted to know if he can hold an intelligent conversation and that was their way of getting the ball rolling.

I've participated in interview teams where every candidate was told "we have other people to interview and we will decide within about a week," so this doesn't necessarily mean anything. We always interviewed the top seven people on the list. It may very well be the interviewer's standard way of wrapping up the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search