U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM

753 posts, read 2,486,159 times

Advertisements

In all interviews, you're asked if you have any questions and at this point, I draw a blank. I know I should ask them SOMETHING other than what the salary is or what the benefits are. Anybody have suggestions for some excellent questions so I can at least have something to ask during my next interview?

TIA.....KABurke
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM

26,342 posts, read 88,896,897 times
Whatever you ask, make sure it strengthens the interviewer's opinion of you. Even asking a question you already know the answer to. The only reason to ask a question is to increase the probability of you getting the job - assuming you really want the job. Just like you want to say what they want to hear, you need to ask what they want to hear.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 AM

483 posts, read 606,563 times
Here are a few I will ask to help me get a better feel for the job and company - very important for me since I will spend so much time there. I want to really know what their expectations are, how they will evaluate my work, and what the culture is like. And if I am interviewing with several people throughout the day, I ask all of them about the culture. You can learn a lot about a company from the difference responses and facial expressions!

1.) What is the most important thing that you need someone in this position to complete in the first 30-90 days at the company?
2.) What’s the history of this particular role? Is this a new position? How will they recognize top performance and by what method will they calibrate results?
3.) How would I be spending most of my day?
4.) May I ask where you are in the hiring process and what the next steps will be? Do you have a target date for when you would like this person to start?
5.) I'm very interested in this job, I'm wondering where I stand compared to your ideal candidate? Are there any concerns that you may have about my abilities to complete the duties of the position?
6.) How would you describe the personality of the organization? What is the culture like?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM

753 posts, read 2,486,159 times
Keep 'em coming! These are great tips and questions! I'm pasting them into a document that I can edit and take with me to review before my next interview.

The BLANK is gone!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM

13,523 posts, read 20,056,364 times
Ask questions whose answers will relate back to your qualifications/experience/expertise and how you can be of help in addition to finding more about whether you fit in.

For example, questions for the hiring manager may include:

- What are the company's goals for the next few years and how does this dept/division fit into those plans?
- What specific skills from the person you hire would make your life easier?
- What are some problems you're currently facing that keeps you up at night?
- What are some of the skills/abilities you see as necessary for someone to succeed in this role?
- What would be a surprisingly positive thing someone could do w/in the first 90 days on the job?
- What challenges might I encounter if I take on this position?
- What are the most important opportunities for improvement in the area I hope to join?
- How will my performance be measured? by whom?
- How will you measure my leadership qualities?
- What are my typical day-to-day responsibilities?
- What goals/objectives need to be achieved w/in the next 6-months-1year?
- Is this a new or existing position? If new, what prompted creation of this role? If existing, what happened to the person who previously held the job?
- How would you describe your management style and what type of employee do you work best with?
- How does the company support and promote personal and professional growth?
- What have I yet to learn about this company/dept that I still need to know?
- What are the success factors that will tell you if the decision to bring me on board was the right one?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM

19,059 posts, read 23,798,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Here are a few I will ask to help me get a better feel for the job and company - very important for me since I will spend so much time there. I want to really know what their expectations are, how they will evaluate my work, and what the culture is like. And if I am interviewing with several people throughout the day, I ask all of them about the culture. You can learn a lot about a company from the difference responses and facial expressions!

1.) What is the most important thing that you need someone in this position to complete in the first 30-90 days at the company?
2.) What’s the history of this particular role? Is this a new position? How will they recognize top performance and by what method will they calibrate results?
3.) How would I be spending most of my day?
4.) May I ask where you are in the hiring process and what the next steps will be? Do you have a target date for when you would like this person to start?
5.) I'm very interested in this job, I'm wondering where I stand compared to your ideal candidate? Are there any concerns that you may have about my abilities to complete the duties of the position?
6.) How would you describe the personality of the organization? What is the culture like?
These are excellent questions!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM

632 posts, read 1,108,068 times
1.) What is a typical day like for an intern/XX role?

I ask this because I want to see what I will be doing, pickup clues on whether or not it involves interacting with clients, working in the back office, dealing with different departments, or crunching numbers in a cubicle all day long. Plus, it also helps me think about other questions I may want to ask.

2.) I've heard/read in the news that company XYZ just partnered with ABC on deal QWERTY, what are the implications of this partnership and how will it, in your opinion, expand the company's operations in ZXC?

I try to read the major headlines regarding the company I will be working for and I try to figure out, from an insiders perspective, things not mentioned in the papers. I've learned quite a bit about companies and their long-term strategies which may be different than what is written about. It can also give me a clue as to whether or not I will have a possibility of working on said projects regarding the above mentioned question. Not sure if this makes sense...

3.) What is your background and how did you end up in your current role?

I like asking this question because I get some interesting responses. It also helps me understand the possible career paths/tracks that I may want to follow if I want to end up in the interviewers position. For example, if the interviewer is a category manager for a certain product line I am interested in, it will help me know what I need to do as far as certifications, further schooling, etc is concerned.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 55,199,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
In all interviews, you're asked if you have any questions and at this point, I draw a blank. I know I should ask them SOMETHING other than what the salary is or what the benefits are. Anybody have suggestions for some excellent questions so I can at least have something to ask during my next interview?

TIA.....KABurke

What do you enjoy the most about working here?

What attracted you to this company?

What do you feel is one the biggest challenges for this position?

What is a typical day for someone in a position similar to this one?

What are the expectations for someone in this position during the 90 days/

Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,829,686 times
Quote:

TIA.....KABurke
1. What is it about my resume that makes you think I will be a great fit?

2. What is your favorite thing about working for the company?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM

832 posts, read 1,312,744 times
Quote:

TIA.....KABurke
I vote for researching the company/position, finding out how it differs from your current company/position and asking about something you want to learn and how it operates in their line of work.

The following is a very bad example...

I've always used my engineering degree to build automobiles. So building a Harley will be a fun challenge for me. Can you tell me about the software you most commonly use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search